Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Telegraph OT

OK. So how many of you can stand on one leg with your eyes shut for more
than 5 seconds?

I felt the grip test and stand up, sit down test were too easy.
--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2014 20:15, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK. So how many of you can stand on one leg with your eyes shut for more
than 5 seconds?

I felt the grip test and stand up, sit down test were too easy.

Should there have been a link in there somewhere, just so we know what
you are talking about?

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
Pardon, is this some kind of new dance move.

Standing on one leg is very dependent on footwear and floor covering I find.

Brief article on simple health checks. I don't have a url but for those
50 and up it suggests grip strength, timed repetitive standing from a
hard backed chair sitting position and standing on one leg with your
eyes closed.

Eyes open, I'm fine if a little wobbly. Eyes shut, 5 seconds is
difficult. I guess my inner ear balance organs are shot. Fortunately I
don't suffer from sea sickness.

Blindness might be some advantage if you can find a way of benefiting:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nightjar
writes
On 30/04/2014 20:15, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK. So how many of you can stand on one leg with your eyes shut for more
than 5 seconds?

I felt the grip test and stand up, sit down test were too easy.

Should there have been a link in there somewhere, just so we know what
you are talking about?

I only have the paper copy.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2014 20:45, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Nightjar
writes
On 30/04/2014 20:15, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK. So how many of you can stand on one leg with your eyes shut for more
than 5 seconds?

I felt the grip test and stand up, sit down test were too easy.

Should there have been a link in there somewhere, just so we know what
you are talking about?

I only have the paper copy.

I don't recall when I last bought a newspaper.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 30/04/2014 20:45, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Nightjar
writes
On 30/04/2014 20:15, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK. So how many of you can stand on one leg with your eyes shut for
more
than 5 seconds?

I felt the grip test and stand up, sit down test were too easy.

Should there have been a link in there somewhere, just so we know what
you are talking about?

I only have the paper copy.

I don't recall when I last bought a newspaper.

I can, it was a couple of weeks ago, the mirror or the scum i think it was,

didn't read it of course, wanted it to line the canaries breeding cage
floors with it, and for the purpose of being repeatedly shat upon, tabloids
are just right it seems

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2014 20:44, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Brian Gaff
writes
Pardon, is this some kind of new dance move.

Standing on one leg is very dependent on footwear and floor covering I
find.

Brief article on simple health checks. I don't have a url but for those
50 and up it suggests grip strength,

How are you supposed to check that without a dynamometer?

timed repetitive standing from a
hard backed chair sitting position and standing on one leg with your
eyes closed.

Eyes open, I'm fine if a little wobbly. Eyes shut, 5 seconds is
difficult. I guess my inner ear balance organs are shot. Fortunately I
don't suffer from sea sickness.

I have long used standing on one leg alternately as a way of relieving
my feet when standing for long periods. I sometimes get odd looks when I
do it in public without thinking.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Link is
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...rly-death.html

But I post mainly to say the rules of the game are important. Clinical
tests of "single leg stance" sometimes[1] (often? always?) require you
to stand with arms crossed over chest, raise one foot so it's near but
not the ankle the other, and count the time only until you use your arms
or move the raised foot or move the foot you are standing on. It's a
damn sight harder when you can wobble!

Oh, and I suspect the Elves would insist you don't try it at home!

[1] 'Er indoors has vestibular impairment so I've seen some of it
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2014 21:13, Robin wrote:
Link is
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...rly-death.html

But I post mainly to say the rules of the game are important. Clinical
tests of "single leg stance" sometimes[1] (often? always?) require you
to stand with arms crossed over chest, raise one foot so it's near but
not the ankle the other, and count the time only until you use your arms
or move the raised foot or move the foot you are standing on. It's a
damn sight harder when you can wobble!

Oh, and I suspect the Elves would insist you don't try it at home!

[1] 'Er indoors has vestibular impairment so I've seen some of it

Thank you for the link. Too late for me, if you have to be 53 to do the
tests though.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Gazz wrote:
I don't recall when I last bought a newspaper.

I can, it was a couple of weeks ago, the mirror or the scum i think it
was,

didn't read it of course, wanted it to line the canaries breeding cage
floors with it, and for the purpose of being repeatedly shat upon,
tabloids are just right it seems

Must be an advantage living in London. You just pick up one of the many
free ones for that.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
[...]

they probably think you're a freemason.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 30 April 2014 20:15:56 UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK. So how many of you can stand on one leg with your eyes shut for more

than 5 seconds?

me ;)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 1 May 2014 00:05:50 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,

Gazz wrote:

I don't recall when I last bought a newspaper.

I can, it was a couple of weeks ago, the mirror or the scum i think it

was,

didn't read it of course, wanted it to line the canaries breeding cage

floors with it, and for the purpose of being repeatedly shat upon,

tabloids are just right it seems

Must be an advantage living in London. You just pick up one of the many

free ones for that.

I had a liberal democrate flyer through the door last night now all I need is a per to **** on it :-) Unfortunalty my cats got better taste and uses a litter tray.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
OK. So how many of you can stand on one leg with your eyes shut for more than 5
seconds?

According to "Trust Me I'm a Doctor" 1999 edition p.143
this is fairly age specific

age
20 30 seconds
40 15 seconds
60 5 seconds

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 1 May 2014 08:55:52 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 30/04/2014 21:13, Robin wrote:

Link is

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...rly-death.html

I do wish papers would stop writing articles like this that only use
relative stats... yes they make for headlines with more "impact" but
that don't actually tell you anything unless they also include the
baseline that all the relative numbers are departures from.

E.g.

"The new study found that men who could stand up from a chair and sit
down again less than 23 times in a minute were twice as likely to die in
the following 13 years than those who could 37 or more."

How or where did they get the 13 years from ?

And if you do the above a little too quickly how many men are likely to do their backs some damage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message

How or where did they get the 13 years from ?

The study ended in 1999 (46+53)

" The study tracked 5,000 people born in 1946 throughout their lives
and who had completed the tests during home visits from specially
trained nurses at age 53."

Another 13 years waiting to see how many fell off their perches,
took it to 2012. Plus another two years gathering the data.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , JimK
writes
On Wednesday, 30 April 2014 20:15:56 UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK. So how many of you can stand on one leg with your eyes shut for more

than 5 seconds?

me ;)

Perhaps you'll survive then.

The conclusion of the report summary was that more attention should be
paid to those with low scores from the tests.

I'd still like to know which bit/bits of me are implicated in the one
foot failu-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , michael adams
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .
OK. So how many of you can stand on one leg with your eyes shut for
more than 5
seconds?

According to "Trust Me I'm a Doctor" 1999 edition p.143
this is fairly age specific

age
20 30 seconds
40 15 seconds
60 5 seconds

I think I can guess the answer for 70:-(
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2014 18:42, Tim Lamb wrote:
I'd still like to know which bit/bits of me are implicated in the one
foot failu-)

Well, I'm doomed.

Alternatively the severe back problems I had a few years ago have messed
up the reflex arcs. While I'm fine now, and active, my balance is worse
than it ever was.

Have you had back problems?

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
According to "Trust Me I'm a Doctor" 1999 edition p.143
this is fairly age specific
20 30 seconds
40 15 seconds
60 5 seconds

5 on left leg
13 on right leg

A case of 'best foot forwards' I think.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Lamb
scribeth thus
In message , Brian Gaff
writes
Pardon, is this some kind of new dance move.

Standing on one leg is very dependent on footwear and floor covering I find.

Brief article on simple health checks. I don't have a url but for those
50 and up it suggests grip strength, timed repetitive standing from a
hard backed chair sitting position and standing on one leg with your
eyes closed.

So if you've got a buggered leg or your hips are creaking then your
doomed?.

Eyes open, I'm fine if a little wobbly. Eyes shut, 5 seconds is
difficult. I guess my inner ear balance organs are shot. Fortunately I
don't suffer from sea sickness.

WTF has that got to do with life span then?..

Blindness might be some advantage if you can find a way of benefiting:-)

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Vir
Campestris writes
On 01/05/2014 18:42, Tim Lamb wrote:
I'd still like to know which bit/bits of me are implicated in the one
foot failu-)

Well, I'm doomed.

Alternatively the severe back problems I had a few years ago have
messed up the reflex arcs. While I'm fine now, and active, my balance
is worse than it ever was.

Have you had back problems?

Yes. Nothing hugely painful fortunately. A scan shows some disc bulging
and there is some stenosis at L5. No sciatic pain but I do have
persistent numbness/pins and needles in my big toes! Nobody has found a
knee reflex for years.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2014 12:49, whisky-dave wrote:

"The new study found that men who could stand up from a chair and sit
down again less than 23 times in a minute were twice as likely to die in
the following 13 years than those who could 37 or more."

How or where did they get the 13 years from ?

And if you do the above a little too quickly how many men are likely to do their backs some damage.

Dunno, but 37 is actually quite hard - I just managed 39, and I'm
moderately fit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Clive
George writes
On 01/05/2014 12:49, whisky-dave wrote:

"The new study found that men who could stand up from a chair and sit
down again less than 23 times in a minute were twice as likely to die in
the following 13 years than those who could 37 or more."

How or where did they get the 13 years from ?

And if you do the above a little too quickly how many men are likely
to do their backs some damage.

Dunno, but 37 is actually quite hard - I just managed 39, and I'm
moderately fit.

29

I like to think I am strong but not fit.
--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2014 12:43, michael adams wrote:
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
OK. So how many of you can stand on one leg with your eyes shut for more than 5
seconds?

According to "Trust Me I'm a Doctor" 1999 edition p.143
this is fairly age specific

age
20 30 seconds
40 15 seconds
60 5 seconds

I admit that I find it difficult. What I don't know is whether I was any
better when I was younger.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Canaries ****ting on tits...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Gazz wrote:
I don't recall when I last bought a newspaper.

I can, it was a couple of weeks ago, the mirror or the scum i think it
was,

didn't read it of course, wanted it to line the canaries breeding cage
floors with it, and for the purpose of being repeatedly shat upon,
tabloids are just right it seems

Must be an advantage living in London. You just pick up one of the many
free ones for that.

You can get the Metro in Yorkshi-), I miss the Evening Standard though

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/05/2014 09:27, Tim Lamb wrote:

29

I like to think I am strong but not fit.

47 perhaps helped by my sport being dinghy racing - which requires
strong quadriceps muscles. And not helped by choosing a chair with
wheels... So perhaps I'm not doomed after all!

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 30/04/2014 20:45, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Nightjar
writes
On 30/04/2014 20:15, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK. So how many of you can stand on one leg with your eyes shut for
more
than 5 seconds?

I felt the grip test and stand up, sit down test were too easy.

Should there have been a link in there somewhere, just so we know what
you are talking about?

I only have the paper copy.

I don't recall when I last bought a newspaper.

Neither can I but I get to read them because there are still some airlines
that give them away

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tim.....
writes

"Nightjar" wrote in message
m...
On 30/04/2014 20:45, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Nightjar
writes
On 30/04/2014 20:15, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK. So how many of you can stand on one leg with your eyes shut
for more
than 5 seconds?

I felt the grip test and stand up, sit down test were too easy.

Should there have been a link in there somewhere, just so we know what
you are talking about?

I only have the paper copy.

I don't recall when I last bought a newspaper.

Neither can I but I get to read them because there are still some
airlines that give them away

How do any of you get to do crosswords?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/9/2014 9:52 AM, Tim Lamb wrote:

How do any of you get to do crosswords?

I do mine on line; printed out PDFs when travelling.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , tim.....
writes

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 30/04/2014 20:45, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Nightjar
writes
On 30/04/2014 20:15, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK. So how many of you can stand on one leg with your eyes shut
for more
than 5 seconds?

I felt the grip test and stand up, sit down test were too easy.

Should there have been a link in there somewhere, just so we know what
you are talking about?

I only have the paper copy.

I don't recall when I last bought a newspaper.

Neither can I but I get to read them because there are still some
airlines that give them away

How do any of you get to do crosswords?

I do the crossword every day (after the sudoku etc). Except Sundays, we
don't get a paper on Sundays.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England