Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Power cuts

Andy Burns wrote:

BT's checker will tell you which cabinet you're on

Ooops, now with link ...

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

BT's checker will tell you which cabinet you're on

Ooops, now with link ...

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

It tells me I can get upto 5Mbps - actually I get 8.32.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-03-06, Andy Burns wrote:

There's a whole class of customers who are over 4-5km from the exchange
and struggle to get 2Mbps from ADSL, but who are closer than 2-3km to
the cabinet who might get 8-10Mbps if the cabinet was VDSL enabled.

[FX: Waves]

And here... In fact I don't recall even seeing a local cabinet - I think
our lines are hardwired back to the exchange after doing a lap of the
village.

There is probably a hole in the ground somewhere about 3'x6' with a
bunch of wire knitting in it - when you look inside you have to wonder
how it manages to work at all! It is no surprise to me that it breaks
most times when they attempt to make alterations (which is often).

You can usually find them by watching out for where the OpenReach vans
are always parked up!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/03/2014 20:39, Andy Burns wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

BT's checker will tell you which cabinet you're on

Ooops, now with link ...

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you provide a sample? When I do it for my own number I just get:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

ADSL Max Up to 2 -- 1 to 3.5 Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available

And this is despite the fact that I connect at 5Mbps ADLS max at present
and I know for a fact that the exchange is FTTC enabled.
(and we are in a patch the availability map says has it now)

No indication of how it is connected back to the exchange at all.
(or that FTTC is even there - I guess not offered to my number)

I tried a few friends closer the exchange and the guy who practically
lives on top of it is connected back via cabinet 3 FTTC @ 80Mbps. This
is a bit odd since I have no idea where cabinets 1 & 2 might be.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

On 06/03/2014 20:39, Andy Burns wrote:

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you provide a sample? When I do it for my own number I just get:
Featured Products

Right above the featured products table, I get

Telephone Number 0116xxxyyyy on Exchange WEST WIGSTON is served by
Cabinet 5, can't provide an example of an EO line I'm afraid, I presume
if it doesn't give a cabinet number you're direct, then again it might
mean incomplete records.

ADSL Max Up to 2 -- 1 to 3.5 Available
And this is despite the fact that I connect at 5Mbps ADLS max at present

I know it's fairly inaccurate with its speed estimates, I only
recommended it to find which cabinet you're on!

and I know for a fact that the exchange is FTTC enabled.
(and we are in a patch the availability map says has it now)

our exchange is FTTC enabled, but closest cabinet isn't, so no mention
of it for me, if I use other peoples phone numbers, it mentions an
unexpected delay in making FTTC available - I'm signed-up for alerts
from roadworks.org, so I happen to know they're doing work on the ducts
between the exchange and the village, presumably to get the fibre in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2014 09:13, Andy Burns wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

On 06/03/2014 20:39, Andy Burns wrote:

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you provide a sample? When I do it for my own number I just get:
Featured Products

Right above the featured products table, I get

Telephone Number 0116xxxyyyy on Exchange WEST WIGSTON is served by
Cabinet 5, can't provide an example of an EO line I'm afraid, I presume
if it doesn't give a cabinet number you're direct, then again it might
mean incomplete records.

ADSL Max Up to 2 -- 1 to 3.5 Available
And this is despite the fact that I connect at 5Mbps ADLS max at present

I know it's fairly inaccurate with its speed estimates, I only
recommended it to find which cabinet you're on!

OK. In that case it is as I suspected a "direct" line back to the
exchange since no such detail occurs on my number or any nearby.

This is a little odd since I know there is a junction box (smaller than
a true cabinet) which used to be in a hedge and is now buried. One year
a hedge flailer destroyed it producing multicoloured spaghetti and
Redcare alerts on all the monitored circuits in the neighbourhood.

Not surprisingly none of the Redcare premises responded to the call to
check if they were OK and a major police alert ensued. It took BT more
than a fortnight to reconnect the village correctly afterwards.

and I know for a fact that the exchange is FTTC enabled.
(and we are in a patch the availability map says has it now)

our exchange is FTTC enabled, but closest cabinet isn't, so no mention
of it for me, if I use other peoples phone numbers, it mentions an
unexpected delay in making FTTC available - I'm signed-up for alerts
from roadworks.org, so I happen to know they're doing work on the ducts
between the exchange and the village, presumably to get the fibre in.

For me it just says the exchange name with no other details.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

[...]

In my case it says I'm connected by cabinet 1. I know there are at least 4
cabinets between me and the exchange and a number further on, so why No 1?

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

BT's checker will tell you which cabinet you're on

Ooops, now with link ...

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Well that one says Exchange "CANEWDON is served by Cabinet 1" which is
the first time I have seen one refer to a cabinet...

Still if the cabinet is actually in Canewdon, then its further away than
the exchange itself!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

On 06/03/2014 20:39, Andy Burns wrote:

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Well that one says Exchange "CANEWDON is served by Cabinet 1" which is
the first time I have seen one refer to a cabinet...

I had to hang around all day for a BT (actually Quinn working on behalf
of BT) bod to install a new line, turns out this *is* an EO line, it
doesn't show up on the checker yet, but I'll see what it actually says,
when it becomes "visible" within 24 hours ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 20:39:56 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

BT's checker will tell you which cabinet you're on

Ooops, now with link ...

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Well it doesn't tell me anything about "EO" or cabinet, just says
"nnn on Exchange XXXX". It's also wildly out with the speed "ADSLmax
Downstream Range(Mbps) 1 to 2.5 Mbps" current sync rate is a nice
stable 6208 kbps, it has been over 7000 kbps but it struggles at
that. Useable throughput is about 5 Mbps. Which is actually pretty
good for a 3 km+ bit of ali.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 20:39:56 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Well it doesn't tell me anything about "EO" or cabinet, just says
"nnn on Exchange XXXX".

The line I referred to being installed last week, and which the (working
on behalf of) OpenReach chappie told me was EO, still isn't visible on
the checker, so I can't say if it would actually say "EO" or just not
mention a cabinet number to imply EO.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 27 February 2014 09:53:49 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:

When you live in a rural backwater you have to accept that you are
pretty much last in line when it comes to restoring power. If one team
of engineers can reconnect 100,000 people in a nearby city or go off and
do 1000 people in a difficult to reach village the choice is clear!

So the idea of having temporary linesmen hired by agencies subcontracting to the various entities that now own the grids are **** is all wrong?

And the people who look after all our infrastructures just like they used to before Margaret Thatcher are all still nice chaps that know what they are doing and do it professionally?

Not like the meter reader that came and turfed out a perfectly good meter in my block just in time for the snowy weather?
Or the plethora of arseholes that followed him resisting significantly any effort to rectify things?

OK. Sounds good to me....
Ooh look another fairy!
Hang on I want to catch it in a jam jar so I can show you all. I just missed the last one. I know you all love fairies. I will get it to tell you all another story if you like.

Don't go away.
Dick heads.

RCD and power cuts F[_2_] UK diy 18 April 12th 13 12:50 PM
Power cuts. harry UK diy 12 October 19th 12 08:20 PM
Power Cuts? Dave Liquorice[_2_] UK diy 10 January 7th 10 07:02 PM
power cuts Mike UK diy 35 February 8th 05 06:03 PM
power cuts Mike UK diy 5 January 24th 05 08:14 PM