Mike

Default power cuts

Does anybody know if there is a legal limit on the number of power cuts per
annum before one can demand something is done ? And if so, who do I demand
it from. The utility company just say they are "improving things".

James Salisbury

"Mike" wrote in message
Does anybody know if there is a legal limit on the number of power cuts
per
annum before one can demand something is done ? And if so, who do I
demand
it from. The utility company just say they are "improving things".

There is a European Standard, avaliable from BSI that relates to power
quality, perhaps a trip down to the local library. also try ofgem
http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/ofgem/index.jsp

Mike

"James Salisbury" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
Does anybody know if there is a legal limit on the number of power cuts
per
annum before one can demand something is done ? And if so, who do I
demand
it from. The utility company just say they are "improving things".

There is a European Standard, avaliable from BSI that relates to power
quality,

Thay break that already. Our voltage is 253volts with spikes on top. Next
door (1/2 mile away) is even higher.

perhaps a trip down to the local library. also try ofgem
http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/ofgem/index.jsp

Thanks. I found one thing - four or more cuts of over 3 hours gets you £50
so I'll try putting in a claim for that.

But what I really want is them to upgrade the supply.

Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 23:00:39 -0000, Mike wrote:

Our voltage is 253volts with spikes on top.

snip
But what I really want is them to upgrade the supply.

Down grade surely? B-)

Assuming you have a reliable and accurate voltmeter that voltage is
stressing your equipment more and may well shorten its life. I bet
filament bulbs don't last long at all. 253v is also right on the upper
limit (+10% from 230v) I'd complain about that and get it reduced. You
need to talk to the actual physical supplier of your power, which may
or may not be the people who bill you.

I'd say join with neighbour but as they are 1/2 a mile away I suspect
you are rural and probably on different transformers? All the same
they should complain as well if their voltage is even higher.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Mike

"Mike" wrote in message
Does anybody know if there is a legal limit on the number of power

cuts
per
annum before one can demand something is done ? And if so, who do I
demand
it from. The utility company just say they are "improving things".

There is a European Standard, avaliable from BSI that relates to power
quality,

Thay break that already. Our voltage is 253volts with spikes on top.
Next
door (1/2 mile away) is even higher.

perhaps a trip down to the local library. also try ofgem
http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/ofgem/index.jsp

Thanks. I found one thing - four or more cuts of over 3 hours gets you
£50
so I'll try putting in a claim for that.

But what I really want is them to upgrade the supply.

Which county are you in and who supplyies you, see this map
http://www.dcode.org.uk/

Cheshire - it's United Utilities.

Mike

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 23:00:39 -0000, Mike wrote:

Our voltage is 253volts with spikes on top.

snip
But what I really want is them to upgrade the supply.

Down grade surely? B-)

Assuming you have a reliable and accurate voltmeter that voltage is
stressing your equipment more and may well shorten its life. I bet
filament bulbs don't last long at all. 253v is also right on the upper
limit (+10% from 230v) I'd complain about that and get it reduced. You
need to talk to the actual physical supplier of your power, which may
or may not be the people who bill you.

I'd say join with neighbour but as they are 1/2 a mile away I suspect
you are rural and probably on different transformers? All the same
they should complain as well if their voltage is even higher.

We're on a row of 5 farms all on one transformer. I'm the second and on 253
volts. The last one is about 235 volts but this drops significantly when
they start the milking machine. Long wire !

Bulbs do pop so I've mostly changed to CFLs which seem to last better.

Power surges Cheryl Home Repair 54 June 25th 04 08:50 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Repair 57 April 2nd 04 10:51 PM
Computer power supply compatiility My father's son Electronics Repair 15 January 16th 04 11:13 PM
Power cuts DanFox UK diy 8 January 16th 04 12:30 PM
power flushing Andy Hall UK diy 4 September 9th 03 11:59 PM