Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lamp parts - gooseneck

I'm after some parts to make a couple of clip on gooseneck LED desk
lamps.

There's *nothing* in the shops (inc online) that I like. Prettiness is
irrelevant - I want sturdy.

Does anyone happen to know of a source of:

Goosenecks (looking for something suitable to run a cable inside - not
sure if microphone goosenecks are suitable). Also want about 2ft length.

Base clips that clamp onto table edges and can have said gooseneck
bolted to them.

Lamp heads - not too fussy - ES, GX53, GU10, any other 240V head.
I'd rather fit a generic mains LED to a plain simple base than wibble
about with wallwarts. Not even bothered about shades, though an ES/BC
fitting would probably take a generic shade.

It's my intention that this will be a Class I (earthed) appliance.

Yes - sorry - it's half arsed DIY - I'm looking for a few modules I can
configure to what I want rather than actually making stuff (no time).

Cheers!

Tim

http://www.sensorly.com/ Crowd mapping of 2G/3G/4G mobile signal
coverage

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2014 17:16, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

I might be able to help you if you want some of the things I've got surplus.

I made some gooseneck lamps for my big band music stands and then I made
some much lighter-weight ones to replace them...

So, what I've got is a over a dozen black heavy-duty goosenecks about 9
inches long and which you can screw togther to make longer ones, and
over a dozen clamps (for clamping onto a desk, etc).

The goosenecks are 0.5 inch diameter and therefore quite sturdy - not
the flimsy quarter inch variety you sometimes find.

They have a hole down the centre, about 4.5 or 5mm, so *just* able to
take a small mains flex. I used two-core, no earth, so obviously you'll
very be restricted in size of cable if you want it inside. I don't know
if you'll find anything with a larger hole. They are not really intended
for having cables inside.

In fact, I had to drill a hole through the thread fitting on the clamps
so that I could get all my cables inside.

Send me an email and I'll photo them and email back tomorrow.

Michael (at mkilpatrick.co.uk)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 28 January 2014 18:25 Michael Kilpatrick wrote in uk.d-i-y:

[...]

Thank you Michael.

I will check first to see if I can find some suitable cable - looking at
Farnell. It's true that "normal" 3 core 0.5mm2 PVC is about 5.5mm OD.
That could be a problem.

I'm actually happy to terminate the CPC at the clip end and feed 2 cores
up the middle, but that is a problem for how to get a nice termination
at the clip end (change from 3 core to twin).

Perhaps this is not going to be as easy as I thought!

Is the inside of the gooseneck sleeved or bare metal? There may be an
argument for calling it Class II, though for homebrew stuff like this, I
usually prefer a good solid earth.

Cheers,

Tim

http://www.sensorly.com/ Crowd mapping of 2G/3G/4G mobile signal
coverage

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2014 19:07, Tim Watts wrote:

Thank you Michael.

I will check first to see if I can find some suitable cable - looking at
Farnell. It's true that "normal" 3 core 0.5mm2 PVC is about 5.5mm OD.
That could be a problem.

I've just dropped a 5.5mm drill bit through two of them screwed
together, so that's fine. But I only drilled 5mm through the clamp
thread as it's not much bigger than that externally! Might just manage a
5.5mm hole.

Drop me an email for later so I can email a photo etc (I'm out at a
rehearsal tonight). I'd be happy to send several of these for the
postage and packing costs as they're just taking up space...

Michael

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

Does anyone happen to know of a source of:
Goosenecks (looking for something suitable to run a cable inside - not
sure if microphone goosenecks are suitable). Also want about 2ft length.

goosenecks and end fittings

http://www.flexible-tubing.com/EC%20DNP.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

Use some steel electrical conduit. All the fittings are available.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
I'm after some parts to make a couple of clip on gooseneck LED desk
lamps.

etc etc.

Just been to Lidl (Melksham)

£3-99p for a goose-necked clip on fitting, which includes the GU10.

Some places charge more than that just for the GU10!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Watts
writes

It's ****, see my review form Monday.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 7:07:10 PM UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

You could lose the sheath if you can clamp it to the clamp, and the gooseneck has no sharp bits inside

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have you looked at John Lewis' website? I got an excellent clip on LED one
from there a few months ago/

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

From KT24