Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lamp parts - gooseneck

On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 7:07:10 PM UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On Tuesday 28 January 2014 18:25 Michael Kilpatrick wrote in uk.d-i-y:
On 28/01/2014 17:16, Tim Watts wrote:
I'm after some parts to make a couple of clip on gooseneck LED desk
lamps.

There's *nothing* in the shops (inc online) that I like. Prettiness
is irrelevant - I want sturdy.

Does anyone happen to know of a source of:

Goosenecks (looking for something suitable to run a cable inside -
not sure if microphone goosenecks are suitable). Also want about 2ft
length.

Base clips that clamp onto table edges and can have said gooseneck
bolted to them.

Lamp heads - not too fussy - ES, GX53, GU10, any other 240V head.
I'd rather fit a generic mains LED to a plain simple base than wibble
about with wallwarts. Not even bothered about shades, though an ES/BC
fitting would probably take a generic shade.

It's my intention that this will be a Class I (earthed) appliance.

Yes - sorry - it's half arsed DIY - I'm looking for a few modules I
can configure to what I want rather than actually making stuff (no
time).

I might be able to help you if you want some of the things I've got

surplus.
I made some gooseneck lamps for my big band music stands and then I

made some much lighter-weight ones to replace them...
So, what I've got is a over a dozen black heavy-duty goosenecks about

9 inches long and which you can screw togther to make longer ones, and
over a dozen clamps (for clamping onto a desk, etc).
The goosenecks are 0.5 inch diameter and therefore quite sturdy - not

the flimsy quarter inch variety you sometimes find.
They have a hole down the centre, about 4.5 or 5mm, so *just* able to

take a small mains flex. I used two-core, no earth, so obviously
you'll very be restricted in size of cable if you want it inside. I
don't know if you'll find anything with a larger hole. They are not
really intended for having cables inside.
In fact, I had to drill a hole through the thread fitting on the

clamps so that I could get all my cables inside.
Send me an email and I'll photo them and email back tomorrow.
Michael (at mkilpatrick.co.uk)

Thank you Michael.
I will check first to see if I can find some suitable cable - looking at
Farnell. It's true that "normal" 3 core 0.5mm2 PVC is about 5.5mm OD.
That could be a problem.
I'm actually happy to terminate the CPC at the clip end and feed 2 cores
up the middle, but that is a problem for how to get a nice termination
at the clip end (change from 3 core to twin).
Perhaps this is not going to be as easy as I thought!
Is the inside of the gooseneck sleeved or bare metal? There may be an
argument for calling it Class II, though for homebrew stuff like this, I
usually prefer a good solid earth.
Cheers,
Tim

You could lose the sheath if you can clamp it to the clamp, and the gooseneck has no sharp bits inside

NT