Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default granite worktops

OK, new kitchen is nice but the only thing spoiling it is the laminate corner joint right next to the sink, which is starting to fail already. It is impossible not to get pools of water there and not even a perfect joint can survive standing water for long.
So we a looking to replace the worktops already. Granite is the obvious thing.
Worktop to be replaced is an L shape 3m x 2.5m, tiled with 5mm sealant joint. New worktops plus any underlay such as ply must total 40mm to meet up with the tiles.
Cutouts for a job and a sink (I'm don't care about an under-slung sink and drainage grooves).
Now, granite worktops seem to have a large scope of quality (re-inforced around cutouts or not etc.) and prices, thus rip-off merchants abound.

Anyway, about how much should I be paying for the granite worktop described above, obviously templated and fitted by them ?

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday 04 January 2014 20:16 sm_jamieson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

[...]

http://www.granitetopsuk.co.uk/

might let you get a quote for guidance...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, January 4, 2014 8:53:36 PM UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Got an online quote from planet granite that is local to me.
approx 1400 + VAT.

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'll have it:-D
Email is valid.

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday 04 January 2014 22:50 Tim Streater wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In article ,
sm_jamieson wrote:

OK, new kitchen is nice but the only thing spoiling it is the laminate
corner joint right next to the sink, which is starting to fail already.
It is impossible not to get pools of water there and not even a perfect
joint can survive standing water for long.
So we a looking to replace the worktops already. Granite is the obvious
thing.

Granite is the obvious thing *not* to use, in our opinion:

1) Too dark so you can't see if it's wet or dirty.

2) Too easy to put something on it a little harshly and break it
(chipped several things already)

What would you like if you could choose anything?

I like wood for a number of reasons but it's a bugger to keep nice when it
gets wet. "Regular" worktops just are not that robust, especially with heat
and wet.

3) They thought they would be cute and grind a draining board into it.
Trouble is, there is no slope on the grooves so water doesn't run away.
Instead it runs the other way, down the units and onto the floor.

That was of course a rather silly build error on someone's part.

All in all, effing hopeless and we'll both be pleased to see it in a
skip. Where the sink is will be replaced by a double-drainer
double-sink sit-on stainless steel unit, if we can find one. **** this
modern **** in kitchens.

Whatever worktop I end up with, I have decided on a stainless steel sink.
They are kind to glasses, last forever and are easy to clean any amount of
crap off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
sm_jamieson wrote:

OK, new kitchen is nice but the only thing spoiling it is the laminate corner
joint right next to the sink, which is starting to fail already. It is
impossible not to get pools of water there and not even a perfect joint can
survive standing water for long.
So we a looking to replace the worktops already. Granite is the obvious thing.

Granite is the obvious thing *not* to use, in our opinion:

1) Too dark so you can't see if it's wet or dirty.

We chose a light colour (from Kashmir).

2) Too easy to put something on it a little harshly and break it
(chipped several things already)

Not a problem here.

3) They thought they would be cute and grind a draining board into it.

Bad idea.

All in all, effing hopeless and we'll both be pleased to see it in a
skip. Where the sink is will be replaced by a double-drainer
double-sink sit-on stainless steel unit, if we can find one.

We have a stainless unit (one and a half sinks, single drainer) laid
onto the granite.

Very pleased.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Saturday 04 January 2014 22:50 Tim Streater wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Whatever worktop I end up with, I have decided on a stainless steel sink.
They are kind to glasses, last forever and are easy to clean any amount of
crap off.

Am I the only person who hates then :-)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2014 09:24, tim...... wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Saturday 04 January 2014 22:50 Tim Streater wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Whatever worktop I end up with, I have decided on a stainless steel sink.
They are kind to glasses, last forever and are easy to clean any
amount of
crap off.

Am I the only person who hates then :-)

tim

What I hate about so many is that they seem to have a dark blue/grey
tinge. Makes them look so dull and dingy. Whereas our stainless steel
cutlery (for one example) is much more the colour of real silver.
Indeed, much S/S is lighter than many sinks.

Some that look a bit lighter seem to have a slightly rough surface that
attracts sale out of the water and ends up with a slightly chalky look.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2014 09:24, tim...... wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Saturday 04 January 2014 22:50 Tim Streater wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Whatever worktop I end up with, I have decided on a stainless steel sink.
They are kind to glasses, last forever and are easy to clean any
amount of
crap off.

Am I the only person who hates then :-)

tim

The trendy domestic kitchen is no use for cooking. Most families only
need a dedicated unit to throw pizza boxes into.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim...... wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Saturday 04 January 2014 22:50 Tim Streater wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Whatever worktop I end up with, I have decided on a stainless steel sink.
They are kind to glasses, last forever and are easy to clean any amount of
crap off.

Am I the only person who hates then :-)

No.

But if you give me a good reason why, you'll be the first to so so.

--
Mike Barnes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Barnes
writes
tim...... wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Saturday 04 January 2014 22:50 Tim Streater wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Whatever worktop I end up with, I have decided on a stainless steel sink.
They are kind to glasses, last forever and are easy to clean any amount of
crap off.

Am I the only person who hates then :-)

No.

But if you give me a good reason why, you'll be the first to so so.

My wife dislikes them. I suspect this may be a ploy to acquire the
ceramic butler sink she yearns for. Why is it that people who have no
knowledge or financial involvement in funding a supply of hot water have
this yen for elbow deep suds?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday 05 January 2014 11:02 Tim Lamb wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In message , Mike Barnes
writes
tim...... wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Saturday 04 January 2014 22:50 Tim Streater wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Whatever worktop I end up with, I have decided on a stainless steel
sink. They are kind to glasses, last forever and are easy to clean any
amount of crap off.

Am I the only person who hates then :-)

No.

But if you give me a good reason why, you'll be the first to so so.

My wife dislikes them. I suspect this may be a ploy to acquire the
ceramic butler sink she yearns for.

God no!

Find a 30cm or equivalent number of smaller heavy tiles. Place it in a
plastic bowl on the kitchen table.

Take one of her favourite glasses and drop onto tile from a height of about
6". That should knock that idea on the head...

Why is it that people who have no
knowledge or financial involvement in funding a supply of hot water have
this yen for elbow deep suds?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Jan 2014 23:32:52 +0000, Mike Barnes
wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
sm_jamieson wrote:

[...]

When I asked a kitchen fitter about a granite worktop when changing my
old laminated one, he advised that the existing cabinets would not be
strong enough to support it. So check that out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
tim...... wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Saturday 04 January 2014 22:50 Tim Streater wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Whatever worktop I end up with, I have decided on a stainless steel
sink.
They are kind to glasses, last forever and are easy to clean any amount
of
crap off.

Am I the only person who hates then :-)

No.

But if you give me a good reason why, you'll be the first to so so.

I just think SS sinks look cheap and tacky -and a lot of them are :-)
(though I agree, not all)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
sm_jamieson wrote:

3) They thought they would be cute and grind a draining board into it.
Trouble is, there is no slope on the grooves so water doesn't run away.
Instead it runs the other way, down the units and onto the floor.

Is the worktop at the drainer end supposed to be raised a little to allow
the drainage to work?

I've got normal laminate worktops, and put in one of those round bowl
stainless sinks with a drainer tray attached, went to great pains to get the
worktop installed nice and level, but the drainer part of the sink is
perfectly flat, so the water just sits in pools until it overflows all over
the worktop and onto the floor.

Only way to sort it is to raise the drainer side (or lower the sink side)
and as the sink material is thun, it'd have to be the worktop that has the
slope on it,
i guess it's my fault for buying a cheap **** sink, but it was the other
half who wanted this style and found the cheapest one she could, saying
'they are all the same, just different sellers rip you off more'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2014 11:02, Tim Lamb wrote:

My wife dislikes them. I suspect this may be a ploy to acquire the
ceramic butler sink she yearns for. Why is it that people who have no
knowledge or financial involvement in funding a supply of hot water have
this yen for elbow deep suds?

I'll bet the love for a butler sink doesn't last for long.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2014 14:59, Gazz wrote:

i guess it's my fault for buying a cheap **** sink, but it was the other
half who wanted this style and found the cheapest one she could, saying
'they are all the same, just different sellers rip you off more'

Cheap doesn't have to be ****. My cheap stainless sink with drainer has
a built in slope.

I posted a month or so back that when looking at sinks (for someone
else) I noted that some of the more expensive designer type sinks came
without a hole for the overflow.

I'll bet that most of the sinks you will find in the sheds have been
designed by someone that has never fitted or used one.

It's much the same with a lot of bathroom ware. It may look stylish in
the glossy catalogues but it's never shown being used with real water!
Water from that shallow bowl is going to end on the chipboard surface
that its balanced on.
5 years down line how do you get to replace that tap that was fitted to
the bath BEFORE the bath was installed or installed before tilling etc.?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .

tim...... wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Saturday 04 January 2014 22:50 Tim Streater wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Whatever worktop I end up with, I have decided on a stainless steel
sink. They are kind to glasses, last forever and are easy to
clean any amount of crap off.

Am I the only person who hates then :-)

No.

But if you give me a good reason why, you'll be the first to so so.

I just think SS sinks look cheap and tacky -and a lot of them are :-)
(though I agree, not all)

Well the double-drainer double-sink one we saw in a farmhouse a few
months ago certainly looks 1950s. But so what. It *works*, thass the
point.

If "it works" was enough we wouldn't have:

granite tops
down lighters
up lighters
floor level lighting
under cupboard lighting (OK I conceed that's useful!)
plinths
cornicing
integrated white goods
integrated microwaves
integrated coffee machines (FFS)
etc
etc
etc

(I won't go so far as to say we wouldn't have "built in" units, I can see
that that's a sensible improvement)

Kitchen equipment sale is all about "design" and people spend lots of money
meeting some TV programs "style" ideals and then put a tacky looking SS sink
in. I just don't get it!

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David J wrote:
On Sat, 04 Jan 2014 23:32:52 +0000, Mike Barnes
wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
sm_jamieson wrote:

[...]

Wot rot,have the termites been at it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2014 20:16, sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

If your worktop is large enough that it needs a join, then you're likely
to need a join in granite too which will mean that it looks pants. Well,
that's my opinion. Joins might not bother you, but I was watching a
baking programme on TV the other day and it was the first thing I spotted.

We have a U-shaped kitchen with 4m/5m/5m runs or worktop and we didn't
want joins so we went for Corian (http://tinyurl.com/ukcorian). We also
have a quartz island so I've able to compare the two and as surfaces I
think they offer advantages and disadvantages.

Both stone and Corian can stain if you do things like leave spilled tea
on them. That's probably true for most surfaces, but these seem to be a
little more prone to it. You can use abrasive cleaners, but you have to
be *very* careful not to damage the finish (it's quite smooth).

Corian is warm to the touch, stone is cool. That's a personal preference
thing, though stone is obviously quite handy for pastry.

Both come in a mind-boggling range of colours, though Corian more so.

Both are feckin' expensive.

Finally, as well as having no joins anywhere, Corian also means you can
have a small upstand at the back of the worktop which makes cleaning
much easier as you don't have a crevice where the tiles meet the worktop
(assuming you have tiles).

If you're really set on granite, you can also get granite layed on top
of your existing surface rather than solid granite. It's quite a bit
cheaper. A friend has it and it looks great. I can't remember the
company, but I've seen them at garden centres.

Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2014 09:24, tim...... wrote:
Am I the only person who hates then :-)

You can get recessed surfaces with a stainless bottom which is a decent
compromise:

http://cdukltd.co.uk/uploads/crop_im...roomphoto6.JPG

http://tinyurl.com/p9lwcwh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday 06 January 2014 08:45 Jon Connell wrote in uk.d-i-y:

If you're really set on granite, you can also get granite layed on top
of your existing surface rather than solid granite. It's quite a bit
cheaper. A friend has it and it looks great. I can't remember the
company, but I've seen them at garden centres.

There ar ea fair few such companies - marketed as a "rejuvination" technique
for old worktops.

However, when I talked to one in person at Tunbridge Wells, he said that
there was no reason you couldn't lay a worktop of heavy MDF or plywood, have
them dress it with the corian style material as a new project.

The downside is that you cannot have curves as there's no way they can dress
the edges (because corian doesn't bend!) - whereas with solid material, it
can simply be milled to any shape you want.

I suppose you could get creative and dress the edge with a stainless steel
wide thin flat bar - might look quite good. Waterproofing it would be a
consideration through.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-01-06, Jon Connell wrote:

Finally, as well as having no joins anywhere, Corian also means you can
have a small upstand at the back of the worktop which makes cleaning
much easier as you don't have a crevice where the tiles meet the worktop

You can also have Corian splashback which merges seamlessly into the
worktop, if you want to spunk even more money. (Why is Corian so
expensive?)

Is corian heatproof? Seeing as it is bassically resin bonded stone...

I would not want a worktop that couldn't stand the accidental setting down
of a hot dish once in a while...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/01/2014 09:29, Tim Watts wrote:
Is corian heatproof? Seeing as it is bassically resin bonded stone...

I would not want a worktop that couldn't stand the accidental setting down
of a hot dish once in a while...

Not really. On their website, Dupont say it can cope with 100'C, but
anything else is likely to damage it. Supposedly it can cope with brief
screw ups, but I've never had a worktop that could properly cope with
high temperatures so I'm in the habit of placing pans on trivets.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/01/2014 09:40, Jon Connell wrote:
On 06/01/2014 09:29, Tim Watts wrote:
Is corian heatproof? Seeing as it is bassically resin bonded stone...

I would not want a worktop that couldn't stand the accidental setting
down
of a hot dish once in a while...

Not really. On their website, Dupont say it can cope with 100'C, but
anything else is likely to damage it. Supposedly it can cope with brief
screw ups, but I've never had a worktop that could properly cope with
high temperatures so I'm in the habit of placing pans on trivets.

Use an induction hob and the pans won't get very hot, unless its frying
or cooking sugar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 5 Jan 2014 10:24:13 +0100, "tim......"
wrote:

Whatever worktop I end up with, I have decided on a stainless steel sink.
They are kind to glasses, last forever and are easy to clean any amount of
crap off.

Am I the only person who hates then :-)

They look nice when new but scuff easily, even with light use.
And the downside of black or dark coloured worktops is that they have
to be kept perfectly clean 'all the time' - even a single crumb shows
up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, January 5, 2014 9:24:13 AM UTC, tim...... wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Saturday 04 January 2014 22:50 Tim Streater wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I have decided on a stainless steel sink.

Am I the only person who hates them :-)

No!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, January 5, 2014 2:04:31 PM UTC, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , tim......

snip

Well the double-drainer double-sink one we saw in a farmhouse a few
months ago certainly looks 1950s. But so what. It *works*, thass the
point.

I still find the one my parents had installed in 1964 works better than any others I've used. The mixer tap has been replaced several times but everything else just goes on and on...
That was installed long enough ago that the waste pipes are lead...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, January 6, 2014 8:45:02 AM UTC, Jon Connell wrote:
[...]

Corian or other resin type solid surfaces make the place look like Macdonalds !
It is expensive but somehow looks cheap.

[...]

If the granite joint is done well it can be faily unobtrusive. We have tiles down onto the worktop and so we don't want a slashback.
Given all the options I still think black granite looks the best !

Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Corian or other resin type solid surfaces make the place look like
Macdonalds ! It is expensive but somehow looks cheap.

Strange that. My neighbour has heavy fabrics as wall covering. Very
popular with oil sheiks I believe but pretty tacky in a terraced house.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
[...]

I bought granite worktops last year. £1795 + VAT for a 3 sheet deal.
Paid a bit more for upstands. I asked that if they had any off cuts in the
same granite at the time of ordering, no cost. They did and the 2 polish
guys cut and fitted me 3 window sills and bevelled and polished the edges.
I gave them £20 as I'm all heart.

Sink is a Franke Ascona 1.5 bowl. Good sink for £140, prices vary a lot.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

A lot depends on the thickness.
The other alternative is constructed in situ concrete (a form of terrazzo)
with coloured aggregates.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkFZLLzyNoE