Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default granite worktops

On Saturday 04 January 2014 22:50 Tim Streater wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In article ,
sm_jamieson wrote:

OK, new kitchen is nice but the only thing spoiling it is the laminate
corner joint right next to the sink, which is starting to fail already.
It is impossible not to get pools of water there and not even a perfect
joint can survive standing water for long.
So we a looking to replace the worktops already. Granite is the obvious
thing.

Granite is the obvious thing *not* to use, in our opinion:

1) Too dark so you can't see if it's wet or dirty.

2) Too easy to put something on it a little harshly and break it
(chipped several things already)

What would you like if you could choose anything?

I like wood for a number of reasons but it's a bugger to keep nice when it
gets wet. "Regular" worktops just are not that robust, especially with heat
and wet.

3) They thought they would be cute and grind a draining board into it.
Trouble is, there is no slope on the grooves so water doesn't run away.
Instead it runs the other way, down the units and onto the floor.

That was of course a rather silly build error on someone's part.

All in all, effing hopeless and we'll both be pleased to see it in a
skip. Where the sink is will be replaced by a double-drainer
double-sink sit-on stainless steel unit, if we can find one. **** this
modern **** in kitchens.

Whatever worktop I end up with, I have decided on a stainless steel sink.
They are kind to glasses, last forever and are easy to clean any amount of
crap off.