Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I see no complaints about the BBC's

coverage of the floods, winds, power outages, transport problems, etc,
over Xmas.

Has miserable Old Billy had a nice time enjoying other people's
misfortune?

Ain't he lucky, 'cos there's another load of bad weather coming along
next week.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well they could learn to spell Surrey

Crystal Palace DAB BBC Surry

well I mean..

Brian
Email:

"Artic" wrote in message
ldhosting.com...

coverage of the floods, winds, power outages, transport problems, etc,
over Xmas.

Has miserable Old Billy had a nice time enjoying other people's
misfortune?

Ain't he lucky, 'cos there's another load of bad weather coming along
next week.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
Well they could learn to spell Surrey

Crystal Palace DAB BBC Surry

Sounds like the phonetic way to spell Surrey when said in a posh accent.
Smiley.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 13:03:45 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Well they could learn to spell Surrey

Crystal Palace DAB BBC Surry

You have missed an L after the S.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott M wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
Well they could learn to spell Surrey

Crystal Palace DAB BBC Surry

Sounds like the phonetic way to spell Surrey when said in a posh accent.
Smiley.

Perhaps they haven't 'bin' there?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 10:11:13 -0000, Artic wrote:

coverage of the floods, winds, power outages, transport problems, etc,
over Xmas.

There doesn't seem much point. It's the SE so grabs the headlines by
default.

Strange that when the whole East Coast took a hammering from the
biggest storm surge in decades together with widespread damage across
Northern England and Scotland it hardly got a mention...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Artic" wrote in message
ldhosting.com...

coverage of the floods, winds, power outages, transport problems, etc,
over Xmas.

Has miserable Old Billy had a nice time enjoying other people's
misfortune?

Ain't he lucky, 'cos there's another load of bad weather coming along
next week.

All the news is bad news, not just weather. Haven't you noticed?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain scribbled...

"Artic" wrote in message
ldhosting.com...

coverage of the floods, winds, power outages, transport problems, etc,
over Xmas.

Has miserable Old Billy had a nice time enjoying other people's
misfortune?

Ain't he lucky, 'cos there's another load of bad weather coming along
next week.

All the news is bad news, not just weather. Haven't you noticed?

Like here then, where most of the posts are down to someone having a
problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Well they could learn to spell Surrey

Crystal Palace DAB BBC Surry

well I mean..

this stems from the RDS limit of an 8 character station name.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2013 09:06, Artic wrote:
harryagain scribbled...

"Artic" wrote in message
ldhosting.com...

coverage of the floods, winds, power outages, transport problems, etc,
over Xmas.

Has miserable Old Billy had a nice time enjoying other people's
misfortune?

Ain't he lucky, 'cos there's another load of bad weather coming along
next week.

All the news is bad news, not just weather. Haven't you noticed?

Like here then, where most of the posts are down to someone having a
problem.

Much more coverage as it was the South that there would have been if the
floods were elsewhere methinks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback scribbled...

On 29/12/2013 09:06, Artic wrote:
harryagain scribbled...

"Artic" wrote in message
ldhosting.com...

coverage of the floods, winds, power outages, transport problems, etc,
over Xmas.

Has miserable Old Billy had a nice time enjoying other people's
misfortune?

Ain't he lucky, 'cos there's another load of bad weather coming along
next week.

All the news is bad news, not just weather. Haven't you noticed?

Like here then, where most of the posts are down to someone having a
problem.

Much more coverage as it was the South that there would have been if the
floods were elsewhere methinks.

More people affected - more crew available to cover the story.
I've long since stopped worrying that the BBC don't cover stories local
to me - in fact the local paper doesn't do much either. I know what
flooding looks like, as I do car crashes and fires. So I don't feel the
need to see every instance of any of them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 04:31:48 -0000, Richard wrote:

coverage of the floods, winds, power outages, transport problems,

etc,
over Xmas.

There doesn't seem much point. It's the SE so grabs the headlines

by
default.

Strange that when the whole East Coast took a hammering from the
biggest storm surge in decades together with widespread damage

across
Northern England and Scotland it hardly got a mention...

When was that?

No smiley so I shall asume it's a serious question.

The same time as some 95 year old with a long standing lung infection
finally pegged it in South Africa.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article sting.com,
Artic wrote:
Broadback scribbled...

On 29/12/2013 09:06, Artic wrote:
harryagain scribbled...

"Artic" wrote in message
ldhosting.com...

[...]

this type of reporting has been going on for nearly 50 years! TW3 had a
sketch which ran "The whole of Britain has ben hit by blizzards - here is a
picture of the snow outsie the newsroom window"

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2013 14:20, charles wrote:
In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Well they could learn to spell Surrey

Crystal Palace DAB BBC Surry

well I mean..

this stems from the RDS limit of an 8 character station name.

No matter how many times I count, "BBC Surry" comes out at nine characters.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
Well they could learn to spell Surrey

Crystal Palace DAB BBC Surry

well I mean..

this stems from the RDS limit of an 8 character station name.

No matter how many times I count, "BBC Surry" comes out at nine characters.

Parity error?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
Well they could learn to spell Surrey

Crystal Palace DAB BBC Surry

well I mean..

this stems from the RDS limit of an 8 character station name.

No matter how many times I count, "BBC Surry" comes out at nine
characters.

Parity error?

:-)

And why does an RDS limit affect a DAB station?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
Well they could learn to spell Surrey

Crystal Palace DAB BBC Surry

well I mean..

this stems from the RDS limit of an 8 character station name.

No matter how many times I count, "BBC Surry" comes out at nine characters.

The space counts as 1 character.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
Well they could learn to spell Surrey

Crystal Palace DAB BBC Surry

well I mean..

this stems from the RDS limit of an 8 character station name.

No matter how many times I count, "BBC Surry" comes out at nine
characters.

The space counts as 1 character.

Are you saying that to agree with me? Or to disagree in a way I haven't
fathomed out?

:-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
Well they could learn to spell Surrey

Crystal Palace DAB BBC Surry

well I mean..

this stems from the RDS limit of an 8 character station name.

No matter how many times I count, "BBC Surry" comes out at nine
characters.

The space counts as 1 character.

Are you saying that to agree with me? Or to disagree in a way I haven't
fathomed out?

:-)

Just winding you up :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

While we're on this.... any idea why the 9 character limit?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2013 18:18, Bod wrote:
While we're on this.... any idea why the 9 character limit?

The standard says "The text display must display the Component label in
either its short form (8 characters long) or its long form
(16 characters long). It is not permissible for the receiver to truncate
the label to any other length"

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...sedJune13_.pdf

For the full document.

So it seems that for whatever reason, either Arquiva or the BBC have
decided to omit the "E". Or it's a typo that's not been caught yet.

BBC Radio London transmits its name as BBC LONDON on DAB and misses out
the second "O" on FM.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2013 18:54, John Williamson wrote:
On 29/12/2013 18:18, Bod wrote:
While we're on this.... any idea why the 9 character limit?

The standard says "The text display must display the Component label in
either its short form (8 characters long) or its long form
(16 characters long). It is not permissible for the receiver to truncate
the label to any other length"

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...sedJune13_.pdf

For the full document.

So it seems that for whatever reason, either Arquiva or the BBC have
decided to omit the "E". Or it's a typo that's not been caught yet.

BBC Radio London transmits its name as BBC LONDON on DAB and misses out
the second "O" on FM.

I see. Thanks for that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2013 18:18, Bod wrote:
While we're on this.... any idea why the 9 character limit?

The standard says "The text display must display the Component label in
either its short form (8 characters long) or its long form
(16 characters long). It is not permissible for the receiver to truncate
the label to any other length"

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...sedJune13_.pdf

For the full document.

So it seems that for whatever reason, either Arquiva or the BBC have
decided to omit the "E". Or it's a typo that's not been caught yet.

BBC Radio London transmits its name as BBC LONDON on DAB and misses out
the second "O" on FM.

And another case of 9 characters!

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...

On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 04:31:48 -0000, Richard wrote:

coverage of the floods, winds, power outages, transport problems,

etc,
over Xmas.

There doesn't seem much point. It's the SE so grabs the headlines

by
default.

Strange that when the whole East Coast took a hammering from the
biggest storm surge in decades together with widespread damage

across
Northern England and Scotland it hardly got a mention...

When was that?

No smiley so I shall asume it's a serious question.

The same time as some 95 year old with a long standing lung infection
finally pegged it in South Africa.

Yep. Had the death been this week, the coverage would have swamped news
about the floods here. It's just a function of the media.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2013 18:18, Bod wrote:
While we're on this.... any idea why the 9 character limit?

The standard says "The text display must display the Component label in
either its short form (8 characters long) or its long form
(16 characters long). It is not permissible for the receiver to truncate
the label to any other length"

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...sedJune13_.pdf

For the full document.

So it seems that for whatever reason, either Arquiva or the BBC have
decided to omit the "E". Or it's a typo that's not been caught yet.

BBC Radio London transmits its name as BBC LONDON on DAB and misses out
the second "O" on FM.

And another case of 9 characters!

I don't have an RDS capable receiver here, so it's possible they miss
out both vowels for a character count of 8, as laid down in the spec for
Programme Service. On the other hand, I've seen scrolling PS data on
British FM car radios being used in Europe, which alternate between the
station name and the track name and artiste currently playing.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles posted
this type of reporting has been going on for nearly 50 years! TW3 had a
sketch which ran "The whole of Britain has ben hit by blizzards - here
is a picture of the snow outsie the newsroom window"

And the lead item on BBC national news a few years ago: "South-east
England has been battered by high winds and heavy rain all day, causing
local flooding and serious disruption. But the good news is, it's moving
north."

--
Les
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John Williamson
scribeth thus
On 29/12/2013 18:18, Bod wrote:
While we're on this.... any idea why the 9 character limit?

The standard says "The text display must display the Component label in
either its short form (8 characters long) or its long form
(16 characters long). It is not permissible for the receiver to truncate
the label to any other length"

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload..._data/file/207

937/Domestic_Min__Spec_v1.1_revisedJune13_.pdf

For the full document.

So it seems that for whatever reason, either Arquiva or the BBC have
decided to omit the "E". Or it's a typo that's not been caught yet.

BBC Radio London transmits its name as BBC LONDON on DAB and misses out
the second "O" on FM.

And another case of 9 characters!

I don't have an RDS capable receiver here, so it's possible they miss
out both vowels for a character count of 8, as laid down in the spec for
Programme Service. On the other hand, I've seen scrolling PS data on
British FM car radios being used in Europe, which alternate between the
station name and the track name and artiste currently playing.

The PI in the RDS spec on FM systems is only 8 characters upper or
lower case and most all punctuation marks or spaces..

On RADIO TEXT that is much longer.

You might see on some pirate stations scrolling RDS this isn't legally
permitted in the UK but seeings as your a pirate they're not that fussed
even keeping the TA Traffic Announcement on so as to lock your receiver
up:!..

On DAB I'm not so sure of the PI limitations..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/12/2013 12:08, Big Les Wade wrote:
charles posted
this type of reporting has been going on for nearly 50 years! TW3 had
a sketch which ran "The whole of Britain has ben hit by blizzards -
here is a picture of the snow outsie the newsroom window"

And the lead item on BBC national news a few years ago: "South-east
England has been battered by high winds and heavy rain all day, causing
local flooding and serious disruption. But the good news is, it's moving
north."

Or better still, north west
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2013 18:18, Bod wrote:
[...]

As it happens, a traffic announcement interrupted my radio on the way
home this evening, "BBCLONDN" - no space. But the display is pretty
crude and it does look like a bit of a gap between the C and L.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , polygonum
scribeth thus

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...t_data/file/20

[...]

There wouldn't have been, only the 8 digits numbers or marks allowed..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/12/2013 20:14, tony sayer wrote:
In article , polygonum
scribeth thus
On 29/12/2013 20:31, John Williamson wrote:
I don't have an RDS capable receiver here, so it's possible they miss
out both vowels for a character count of 8, as laid down in the spec for
Programme Service. On the other hand, I've seen scrolling PS data on
British FM car radios being used in Europe, which alternate between the
station name and the track name and artiste currently playing.

As it happens, a traffic announcement interrupted my radio on the way
home this evening, "BBCLONDN" - no space. But the display is pretty
crude and it does look like a bit of a gap between the C and L.

There wouldn't have been, only the 8 digits numbers or marks allowed..

I had access to an RDS radio today, and it's BBCLONDN. 8 characters, no
spaces, although there appears to be a small gap between the C and the
L. This may just be bad layout of the LCD. FWIW, it's a Blaupunkt CDR47
radio.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message sting.com,
Artic writes
Broadback scribbled...

On 29/12/2013 09:06, Artic wrote:
harryagain scribbled...

"Artic" wrote in message
ldhosting.com...

[...]

I loved the way they felt it necessary to provide a graphic to
illustrate a ferry reaching Flamborough Head then turning back to port
because of a fire.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Williamson
writes
Brian Gaff wrote:
Well they could learn to spell Surrey

Crystal Palace DAB BBC Surry

well I mean..

this stems from the RDS limit of an 8 character station name.

No matter how many times I count, "BBC Surry" comes out at nine characters.

Parity error?

Pieces of Seven?
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John Williamson
scribeth thus
[...]

I suspect it is just that, the LCD layout...

For the info of anyone interested this is that, the PS...

PS - Programme Service name: This is the label of the programme service
consisting of not more than eight alphanumeric characters which is
displayed by RDS receivers in order to inform the listener what
programme service is being broadcast by the station to which the
receiver is tuned. An example for a name is "Radio 21". The Programme
Service name is not intended to be used for automatic search tuning and
must not be used for giving sequential information.

And shouldn't be confused with the PI code...

PI - Programme Identification: This information consists of a code
enabling the receiver to distinguish between countries, areas in which
the same programme is transmitted, and the identification of the
programme itself. The code is not intended for direct display and is
assigned to each individual radio programme, to enable it to be
distinguished from all other programmes. One important application of
this information would be to enable the receiver to search automatically
for an alternative frequency in case of bad reception of the programme
to which the receiver is tuned; the criteria for the change-over to the
new frequency would be the presence of a better signal having the same
Programme Identification code. This can be something like C7B5 or C2O1

All in here..

http://www.rds.org.uk/2010/Glossary-Of-Terms.htm
--
Tony Sayer