Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default I see no complaints about the BBC's

In article , John Williamson
scribeth thus
On 30/12/2013 20:14, tony sayer wrote:
In article , polygonum
scribeth thus
On 29/12/2013 20:31, John Williamson wrote:
I don't have an RDS capable receiver here, so it's possible they miss
out both vowels for a character count of 8, as laid down in the spec for
Programme Service. On the other hand, I've seen scrolling PS data on
British FM car radios being used in Europe, which alternate between the
station name and the track name and artiste currently playing.

As it happens, a traffic announcement interrupted my radio on the way
home this evening, "BBCLONDN" - no space. But the display is pretty
crude and it does look like a bit of a gap between the C and L.

There wouldn't have been, only the 8 digits numbers or marks allowed..

I had access to an RDS radio today, and it's BBCLONDN. 8 characters, no
spaces, although there appears to be a small gap between the C and the
L. This may just be bad layout of the LCD. FWIW, it's a Blaupunkt CDR47
radio.

I suspect it is just that, the LCD layout...

For the info of anyone interested this is that, the PS...

PS - Programme Service name: This is the label of the programme service
consisting of not more than eight alphanumeric characters which is
displayed by RDS receivers in order to inform the listener what
programme service is being broadcast by the station to which the
receiver is tuned. An example for a name is "Radio 21". The Programme
Service name is not intended to be used for automatic search tuning and
must not be used for giving sequential information.

And shouldn't be confused with the PI code...

PI - Programme Identification: This information consists of a code
enabling the receiver to distinguish between countries, areas in which
the same programme is transmitted, and the identification of the
programme itself. The code is not intended for direct display and is
assigned to each individual radio programme, to enable it to be
distinguished from all other programmes. One important application of
this information would be to enable the receiver to search automatically
for an alternative frequency in case of bad reception of the programme
to which the receiver is tuned; the criteria for the change-over to the
new frequency would be the presence of a better signal having the same
Programme Identification code. This can be something like C7B5 or C2O1

All in here..

http://www.rds.org.uk/2010/Glossary-Of-Terms.htm
--
Tony Sayer