Posted to misc.consumers.house,uk.d-i-y,uk.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.legal

Default Choosing retailer for mimimum complaints

On Jul 1, 12:22*pm, "john hamilton" wrote:
I think this might affect us all at one time or another. *You want to buy an
item like a fridgfreezer or a washing machine,etc. *To make your cash go as
far as possible often the best price is with one of the big national chains
of retailers.

Typing in one or two of the household chains names to google, linked to the
word 'complaints'; invariable brings up a lot of experiences of people
ordering and then having to wait an unreasonable amount of time because its
not in stock.

Another problem is with these big companies is that the various departments
seem to be able to pass around the responsibility of any problem with
impunity on to another department.

Is there a good way of trying to find out, which of the big chains of shops
like: Currys, Dixons, Comet, etc; *are the best to deal with from the
customer satisfaction point of view?

Perhaps just compare the number of hits for 'complaint.'

NT
Posted to misc.consumers.house,uk.d-i-y,uk.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.legal

NT wrote:

snip

Perhaps just compare the number of hits for 'complaint.'

and divide by annual sales...

John Lewis are pretty good, AIUI.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,uk.d-i-y,uk.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.legal

In message , Fevric J.
Glandules writes
NT wrote:

snip

Perhaps just compare the number of hits for 'complaint.'

and divide by annual sales...

John Lewis are pretty good, AIUI.

But unless they've changed their policy, they will not price match
online stores.

--
Kevin Seal
F800ST

Posted to misc.consumers.house,uk.d-i-y,uk.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.legal

Kevin Seal wrote:

In message , Fevric J.
Glandules writes
John Lewis are pretty good, AIUI.

But unless they've changed their policy, they will not price match
online stores.

Fair enough. If you really must have the cheapest price, then
caveat emptor. It's a gamble.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 12:19:17 -0700 (PDT), NT
wrote:

[...]

Personally I try to avoid most of the big retailers, especially
Currys, Comet etc... Most of my experience tells me that they are
very poor at sorting faults out and the staff are not knowledgeable.

If you can find a good independent retailer then I would (and do) use
them. They can even be cheaper if you haggle.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,uk.d-i-y,uk.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.legal

"Kevin Seal" wrote in message
In message , Fevric J. Glandules
writes
NT wrote:

snip

Perhaps just compare the number of hits for 'complaint.'

and divide by annual sales...

John Lewis are pretty good, AIUI.

But unless they've changed their policy, they will not price match online
stores.

--
Kevin Seal
F800ST
{walrus1 at gmail dot com}

Agreed. In January 2009 I bought a Panasonic TX-19LXD8 from Amazon for £246.
John Lewis on line wanted £349.
I asked them what they could do - they said tough - I said fair enough and
bought it from Amazon. I thought £103 was a bit steep for an extra 4 years
of warranty!

Amazon have been great when I've had a problem with stuff bought from them.
A Guitar Hero thingy for the Wii was delivered with a cracked knob. They
offered a replacement if I returned it or a 20% refund. I took the 20% and
repaired it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,

Doctor D wrote on Jul 2, 2010:

"Kevin Seal" wrote in message
In message , Fevric J. Glandules
writes
NT wrote:

snip

Perhaps just compare the number of hits for 'complaint.'

and divide by annual sales...

John Lewis are pretty good, AIUI.

But unless they've changed their policy, they will not price match online
stores.

--
Kevin Seal
F800ST
{walrus1 at gmail dot com}

Agreed. In January 2009 I bought a Panasonic TX-19LXD8 from Amazon for £246.
John Lewis on line wanted £349.
I asked them what they could do - they said tough - I said fair enough and
bought it from Amazon. I thought £103 was a bit steep for an extra 4 years
of warranty!

I would say £100 is not unreasonable for 4 years warranty. If a modern
digital camera develops a fault it's usually uneconomic to repair it even if
it's possible - and they do get faults.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Lane" wrote in message
dia.com...
Doctor D wrote on Jul 2, 2010:

"Kevin Seal" wrote in message
In message , Fevric J.
Glandules
writes
NT wrote:

snip

[...]

I would say that its unreasonable
digital cameras are very reliable and have a life expectancy of many years.
One that fails after 3-4 years should be covered by the sale of goods act
and the retailer would be responsible for at least some of the repair costs.

PS, its a TV.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote on Jul 4, 2010:

"Mike Lane" wrote in message
dia.com...
Doctor D wrote on Jul 2, 2010:

"Kevin Seal" wrote in message
In message , Fevric J.
Glandules
writes
NT wrote:

snip

[...]

Oh sorry. Cameras are on my mind at the moment!

I've just had a Canon PowerShot camera fail after 4 years. Apparently the
repair costs would be at least £100 that is if spares were available. I was
going on holiday the next day so I had to fork out for a new one - about
£200.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Lane wrote:

Oh sorry. Cameras are on my mind at the moment!

I've just had a Canon PowerShot camera fail after 4 years. Apparently the
repair costs would be at least £100 that is if spares were available. I
was going on holiday the next day so I had to fork out for a new one -
about £200.

is this an ixus with *?"Memory card error" fault
if so
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_Digital_IXUS
\0

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote on Jul 5, 2010:

Mike Lane wrote:

Oh sorry. Cameras are on my mind at the moment!

I've just had a Canon PowerShot camera fail after 4 years. Apparently the
repair costs would be at least £100 that is if spares were available. I
was going on holiday the next day so I had to fork out for a new one -
about £200.

is this an ixus with *?"Memory card error" fault
if so
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_Digital_IXUS

No. it's a PowerShot A620. The problem is the display screen that's stopped
working. Apart from that it still takes good pictures!

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message
Mike Lane wrote:

Oh sorry. Cameras are on my mind at the moment!

I've just had a Canon PowerShot camera fail after 4 years. Apparently the
repair costs would be at least £100 that is if spares were available. I
was going on holiday the next day so I had to fork out for a new one -
about £200.

is this an ixus with ?"Memory card error" fault
if so
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_Digital_IXUS

My first digital camera (a Philips 1.3M one) had a fault where one of the
chip's substrate would build up charge if you left the batteries in it.
After a few weeks it would stop working. Taking all the batteries out for a
day would "fix" it. I bet that's the real fault in the Canon and they have
developed firmware to "fix" it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Lane
wibbled on Monday 05 July 2010 08:27

Mark wrote on Jul 5, 2010:

Mike Lane wrote:

Oh sorry. Cameras are on my mind at the moment!

I've just had a Canon PowerShot camera fail after 4 years. Apparently
the repair costs would be at least £100 that is if spares were
available. I was going on holiday the next day so I had to fork out for
a new one - about £200.

is this an ixus with ?"Memory card error" fault
if so
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_Digital_IXUS

No. it's a PowerShot A620. The problem is the display screen that's
stopped
working. Apart from that it still takes good pictures!

You *may* find it is one of the connectors that needs reseating. I repaired
a half dead Powershot G3 which turned out to be only a sticky microswitch.
Worth a go, even if it's to get a spare rough use camera for all those DIY
jobs

Mine came apart with a decent set of jewellers screwdrivers and no more than
common sense, which I was quite surprised at.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote on Jul 5, 2010:

Mike Lane wrote:

[...]

I might have a go. I'm not optimistic though, without a proper manual I think
I'd just be groping around.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Lane
wibbled on Monday 05 July 2010 18:26

Tim Watts wrote on Jul 5, 2010:

You *may* find it is one of the connectors that needs reseating. I
repaired a half dead Powershot G3 which turned out to be only a sticky
microswitch. Worth a go, even if it's to get a spare rough use camera for
all those DIY jobs

Mine came apart with a decent set of jewellers screwdrivers and no more
than common sense, which I was quite surprised at.

I might have a go. I'm not optimistic though, without a proper manual I
think I'd just be groping around.

It depends how deep you have to go. The back came off mine leaving
everything in place. The movable LCD screen also came apart without any
ping-fukits. I was expecting a loose connector or broken wire (is documented
on google as a possible fault) but found a sticky switch instead that told
the camera which way the viewer was twisted (or didn't in this case, so
camera got confused and blanked out the screen). Fixed switch with a few
drops of IPA drizzled in.

If the back drops off happily, I'd start with the cable bunch (ribbon or
round assembly of wires) between the LCD and the main board. Look to see if
any wires are broken (unlikely unless you have a movable LCD like the G*s).
Then I'd unseat the connector at each end and reseat, powering on the camera
at each attempt. BTW, take the batteries out when you pull connectors off to
avoid bad things happening.

Whether to do it? If the camera is going in the bin, then have a go, even if
for the curiousity factor. If you can still make use of it without the LCD
then obviously proceed with more caution and stop if it seems to be getting
hard. Getting at the rear layer of things is usually fairly easy. Going
deeper is when you're likely to endup with a pile of bits.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Lane wrote:

Mark wrote on Jul 5, 2010:

Mike Lane wrote:

Oh sorry. Cameras are on my mind at the moment!

I've just had a Canon PowerShot camera fail after 4 years. Apparently
the repair costs would be at least £100 that is if spares were
available. I was going on holiday the next day so I had to fork out for
a new one - about £200.

is this an ixus with *?"Memory card error" fault
if so
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_Digital_IXUS

No. it's a PowerShot A620. The problem is the display screen that's
stopped
working. Apart from that it still takes good pictures!

Oh*yet another Cannon model with an uneconomic to repair fault.*
\0

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 08:27:30 +0100, Mike Lane
wrote:

Mark wrote on Jul 5, 2010:

Mike Lane wrote:

Oh sorry. Cameras are on my mind at the moment!

I've just had a Canon PowerShot camera fail after 4 years. Apparently the
repair costs would be at least £100 that is if spares were available. I
was going on holiday the next day so I had to fork out for a new one -
about £200.

is this an ixus with *?"Memory card error" fault
if so
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_Digital_IXUS

No. it's a PowerShot A620. The problem is the display screen that's stopped
working. Apart from that it still takes good pictures!

Interesting. My A70 did this too. However, shortly afterwards it
stopped taking pictures. Shame it was brilliant when it worked.
--
(\__/) M.