Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default Choosing retailer for mimimum complaints

Mike Lane
wibbled on Monday 05 July 2010 18:26

Tim Watts wrote on Jul 5, 2010:

You *may* find it is one of the connectors that needs reseating. I
repaired a half dead Powershot G3 which turned out to be only a sticky
microswitch. Worth a go, even if it's to get a spare rough use camera for
all those DIY jobs

Mine came apart with a decent set of jewellers screwdrivers and no more
than common sense, which I was quite surprised at.

I might have a go. I'm not optimistic though, without a proper manual I
think I'd just be groping around.

It depends how deep you have to go. The back came off mine leaving
everything in place. The movable LCD screen also came apart without any
ping-fukits. I was expecting a loose connector or broken wire (is documented
on google as a possible fault) but found a sticky switch instead that told
the camera which way the viewer was twisted (or didn't in this case, so
camera got confused and blanked out the screen). Fixed switch with a few
drops of IPA drizzled in.

If the back drops off happily, I'd start with the cable bunch (ribbon or
round assembly of wires) between the LCD and the main board. Look to see if
any wires are broken (unlikely unless you have a movable LCD like the G*s).
Then I'd unseat the connector at each end and reseat, powering on the camera
at each attempt. BTW, take the batteries out when you pull connectors off to
avoid bad things happening.

Whether to do it? If the camera is going in the bin, then have a go, even if
for the curiousity factor. If you can still make use of it without the LCD
then obviously proceed with more caution and stop if it seems to be getting
hard. Getting at the rear layer of things is usually fairly easy. Going
deeper is when you're likely to endup with a pile of bits.

--
Tim Watts