Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default 'your car's bucked, could you give us a call?"

"bucked"?

Never heard that one:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
"bucked"?

Never heard that one:-)

It was a typo.
Replace "b" with "f".
HTH.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2013 20:35, ARW wrote:
"bucked"?

Never heard that one:-)

It says buckled now, did they change it?!?

--
Toby...
Remove your pants to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 20:35:01 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

"bucked"?

Never heard that one:-)

I wonder if the original architect plans were submitted to an optical
expert who would be able to predict that an efficient solar furnace
was being constructed?

On a different "note" we have a building near here that hums a B
natural on windy days, I don't think it has caused anybody or anything
any actual harm though

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Toby wrote:
On 02/09/2013 20:35, ARW wrote:
"bucked"?

Never heard that one:-)

It says buckled now, did they change it?!?

Yes. The use of the Print Screen button and the use of John Rumms webspace
is the proof.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ile:Bucked.JPG

I prefer Pounders change of letters to the word:-)

Adam

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Sep 2013 21:30:16 +0100, Toby wrote:

"bucked"?

It says buckled now, did they change it?!?

Must have done. It said "bucked" when I read the story earlier this
afternoon, I remember thinking "what polite builders". B-)

As for the design, it's a concave surface it *will* focus the
light/heat. Might not focus it very well but something that size
doesn't need to to produce a "hot spot" hot enough to melt plastic.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARW
writes
"bucked"?

May I be the first to say (here), "how could they be so ****ing stupid?"
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 22:20:19 +0100, fred wrote:

In article , ARW
writes
"bucked"?

May I be the first to say (here), "how could they be so ****ing stupid?"

Steady on, how were they to know they parked in the prime focus. (I
know what you meant really).

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2013 22:32, Graham. wrote:
On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 22:20:19 +0100, fred wrote:

In article , ARW
writes
"bucked"?

May I be the first to say (here), "how could they be so ****ing stupid?"

Steady on, how were they to know they parked in the prime focus. (I
know what you meant really).

Shame it wasn't a certain Ford in the spotlight!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, September 2, 2013 10:32:45 PM UTC+1, Graham. wrote:
Steady on, how were they to know they parked in the prime focus.

If you have an electric car with a solar panel it might be a desirable place to park and get a free charge.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote:
"bucked"?

Never heard that one:-)

Buckled.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"bucked"?

Never heard that one:-)

I wonder if the original architect plans were submitted to an optical
expert who would be able to predict that an efficient solar furnace
was being constructed?

One of Arthur C Clarke's "Tales from the White Hart" covers the same
ground. Programmes with a reflective cover issued to supporters at a cup
final. Supporters try to dazzle the ref reflecting the sun into his eyes
using the programmes. Ref explodes in greasy puff of smoke.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, September 3, 2013 12:01:12 AM UTC+1, Steve Firth wrote:
"ARW" wrote:

"bucked"?

Never heard that one:-)

Buckled.

--

•DarWin|

_/ _/

or just Jaguar ****e plastice ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2013 22:32, Graham. wrote:
On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 22:20:19 +0100, fred wrote:

In article , ARW
writes
"bucked"?

May I be the first to say (here), "how could they be so ****ing stupid?"

Steady on, how were they to know they parked in the prime focus. (I
know what you meant really).

I wonder if they have mapped where the focus is going to be for each day
of the year?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , fred scribeth thus
In article , ARW
writes
"bucked"?

May I be the first to say (here), "how could they be so ****ing stupid?"

I very much doubt they realised that could do that until it did!...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 20:35:01 +0100, "ARW" wrote:

"bucked"?

Never heard that one:-)

Can see the whole thing being pulled down as a fire hazard.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 03 September 2013 12:22 tony sayer wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In article , fred scribeth thus
In article , ARW
writes
"bucked"?

May I be the first to say (here), "how could they be so ****ing stupid?"

I very much doubt they realised that could do that until it did!...

Not much of an architect then! This is basic physics along with knowledge of
where the sun shines from.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"bucked"?

Never heard that one:-)

Can see the whole thing being pulled down as a fire hazard.
--

I can see Pilkington getting very excited about devloping a new non
reflective coating as a custom job and selling feck knows how many 100's m2

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
On Tuesday 03 September 2013 12:22 tony sayer wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In article , fred scribeth thus
In article , ARW
writes
"bucked"?

May I be the first to say (here), "how could they be so ****ing stupid?"

I very much doubt they realised that could do that until it did!...

Not much of an architect then! This is basic physics along with knowledge of
where the sun shines from.

Every architect knows where the sun shines from. They also know the world
goes dark when they sit down.

Damn, I have "architect" in my job title.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Watts
scribeth thus
On Tuesday 03 September 2013 12:22 tony sayer wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In article , fred scribeth thus
In article , ARW
writes
"bucked"?

May I be the first to say (here), "how could they be so ****ing stupid?"

I very much doubt they realised that could do that until it did!...

Not much of an architect then! This is basic physics along with knowledge of
where the sun shines from.

Yes physics it is .. but in reality just how many would pick up on this
being a problem before the building went up?.

Bit like that SN109 signal just outside Paddington station that wasn't
that clear on a sunny day at a given time of day and time of year...

Thus far a singed car .. that incident 28 odd dead and injured?..

Millions of pounds lost and paid out..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2013 15:13, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Tim Watts
scribeth thus
On Tuesday 03 September 2013 12:22 tony sayer wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In article , fred scribeth thus
In article , ARW
writes
"bucked"?

May I be the first to say (here), "how could they be so ****ing stupid?"

I very much doubt they realised that could do that until it did!...

Not much of an architect then! This is basic physics along with knowledge of
where the sun shines from.

Yes physics it is .. but in reality just how many would pick up on this
being a problem before the building went up?.

Mirror-like surface and concave - that should have rung alarm bells
immediately!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2013 21:40, ARW wrote:
Toby wrote:
On 02/09/2013 20:35, ARW wrote:
"bucked"?

Never heard that one:-)

It says buckled now, did they change it?!?

Yes. The use of the Print Screen button and the use of John Rumms webspace
is the proof.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ile:Bucked.JPG

I prefer Pounders change of letters to the word:-)

Adam

I was impressed by the driver's self restraint in his response -
'crickey'. Not sure that would have been the phrase I'd have used if it
was my new Jag....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2013 13:28, Tim Watts wrote:

I can see Pilkington getting very excited about devloping a new non
reflective coating as a custom job and selling feck knows how many 100's m2
of glass!

They already exist, on camera lenses, etc.

Now does anyone have a vacuum chamber big enough?

They can just fit external blinds on the bits that matter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
I very much doubt they realised that could do that until it did!...

Apparently the architect had already designed a hotel in Vegas
which tries to set fire to sunbathers by the pool:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vdara#S...22death_ray.22

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Physics and buildings....

In article , ARW
o.uk writes
"bucked"?

Never heard that one:-)

A building which intrigued me was the Sperry building on London's North
Circular Road a little way before you get to the Hanger Lane gyratory
system a from the east.
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=han...ratory&oe=utf-
8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF-8&ei=JVkmUpWtDKic0QXQtYGoBA&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg

The two blocks are curved with the convex sides facing each other. In
plan view it looks like a venturi; -and it is aligned a little south of
west, so prevailing winds would blow straight through the venturi.

I always imagined that they must have problems with window panes being
'sucked' out......or was the deliberately done to provide ventilation?

--
Chris Holford

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"bucked"?

Never heard that one:-)

I wonder if the original architect plans were submitted to an optical
expert who would be able to predict that an efficient solar furnace was
being constructed?

One of Arthur C Clarke's "Tales from the White Hart" covers the same
ground. Programmes with a reflective cover issued to supporters at a cup
final. Supporters try to dazzle the ref reflecting the sun into his eyes
using the programmes. Ref explodes in greasy puff of smoke.

Or of course there's the Mythbusters presidential special: "Archimedes
death ray" which turned out to be a crock ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_
(2006_season)#Episode_46_.E2.80.93_.22Archimedes.2 7_Death_Ray.22

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_
(2010_season)#Episode_157_.E2.80.93_President.27s_ Challenge

There was a funny story a few years ago - someone made a giant parabolic
stainless steel dish in the name of art (lottery funded IIRC). Someone
else worked out that it could instantly incinerate seagulls which
happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. More money needed
to be spent on a tent-like covering.

Sorry I can't find it by googling. Definitely under the dear leader
Blair's time like many other lottery funded ideas. (Not that I've ever
played the lottery).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

wrote:

"bucked"?

Never heard that one:-)

Can see the whole thing being pulled down as a fire hazard.
--

I can see Pilkington getting very excited about devloping a new non
reflective coating as a custom job and selling feck knows how many 100's m2
of glass!

Good excuse to not wash the windows until winter.

That'll save a few bob - maybe enough to pay out on a few damage claims.

Question: If you reckoned that their building had damaged your car, how
could you prove it?

I'm assuming that the building owners would shift claims off onto their
insurers (after the headlines die down a bit) and insurance companies
aren't going to pay up without "proof".

--
Sam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 23:31:52 +0100
Sam Plusnet wrote:

In article ,
says...

wrote:

"bucked"?

Never heard that one:-)

Can see the whole thing being pulled down as a fire hazard.
--

I can see Pilkington getting very excited about devloping a new non
reflective coating as a custom job and selling feck knows how many
100's m2 of glass!

Good excuse to not wash the windows until winter.

That'll save a few bob - maybe enough to pay out on a few damage
claims.

Question: If you reckoned that their building had damaged your car,
how could you prove it?

I'm assuming that the building owners would shift claims off onto
their insurers (after the headlines die down a bit) and insurance
companies aren't going to pay up without "proof".

Going by the TV reports, there is no shortage of proof. Just download
the TV News bulletin!
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Part Timer wrote:

There was a funny story a few years ago - someone made a giant parabolic
stainless steel dish in the name of art (lottery funded IIRC). Someone
else worked out that it could instantly incinerate seagulls which
happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. More money needed
to be spent on a tent-like covering.

Nottingham Sky Mirror

http://www.nottinghamplayhouse.co.uk...us/sky-mirror/

Contrary to media speculation Sky Mirror does not pose any danger to the
public or pigeons in the form of a barbecue ray.

Typical contemporary comment:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/mar/07/paulkelso1

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Chris J Dixon
writes
Part Timer wrote:

There was a funny story a few years ago - someone made a giant parabolic
stainless steel dish in the name of art (lottery funded IIRC). Someone
else worked out that it could instantly incinerate seagulls which
happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. More money needed
to be spent on a tent-like covering.

Nottingham Sky Mirror

http://www.nottinghamplayhouse.co.uk...us/sky-mirror/

Contrary to media speculation Sky Mirror does not pose any danger to the
public or pigeons in the form of a barbecue ray.

Countered with some real facts by the astronomer quoted in the article
below:

" . . . during the risk period, the sun's rays would be concentrated
into a funnel shape projected upwards towards the theatre bar. Several
inches wide and stretching for six metres, the beam would be as hot as
40 single-bar electric fires."

Typical contemporary comment:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/mar/07/paulkelso1

Chris

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

In article , Chris J Dixon
writes

Nottingham Sky Mirror

http://www.nottinghamplayhouse.co.uk...us/sky-mirror/

Contrary to media speculation Sky Mirror does not pose any danger to the
public or pigeons in the form of a barbecue ray.

Countered with some real facts by the astronomer quoted in the article
below:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/mar/07/paulkelso1

" . . . during the risk period, the sun's rays would be concentrated
into a funnel shape projected upwards towards the theatre bar. Several
inches wide and stretching for six metres, the beam would be as hot as
40 single-bar electric fires."

Notice that he is writing in the future tense, in an article
written 12 years ago. The accurate and informed report from the
Playhouse themselves makes clear that no problems have in fact
been experienced.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Sep 2013 10:18:47 +0100, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

fred wrote:

[...]

Next para in the Guardian article.

"To combat the risk, a sun screen 7.5m long and 4.5m high is be
erected on the Playhouse roof, and measurements will taken through the
year to plot the sun's movements. Once the problem has been assessed,
a less obtrusive retractable screen will be installed above the main
entrance, to avoid detracting from the sculpture."

Which implies that problems haven't been experienced because measures
were taken to mitigate them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Chris J Dixon
writes
fred wrote:

[...]

How do you know that the Playhouse article is either informed or
accurate, it is a PR piece.

I'm inclined to trust the calculations of the consultant employed to
analyse the risk, his quoted statement is that the risk occurs during a
short window in time and only on certain dates. During that time there
needs to be a worst case combination of circumstances for a problem to
manifest itself and so far it appears that there has not been a
catastrophic occurrence. During that time I wonder if anyone has noticed
that the paint of the window frames of the bar doesn't seem to last very
long or that the blinds or curtains seem badly faded but no-one has
linked cause and effect.

Hopefully they wont be reminded of the potential problem between 6 & 8am
on some particularly bright midsummer day when a paper ornament, display
or sign in the bar goes up in smoke, setting the building on fire.

Just expressing an alternative view.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On
I'm inclined to trust the calculations of the consultant employed to
analyse the risk, his quoted statement is that the risk occurs during
a short window in time and only on certain dates.

Remind me not to fly Virgin when the moon is in Aquarius and Venus
aligns with Mars.

Shhesh.Its OK if a building only catches fire every alternate Thursday,
a nuclear power station only blows up on Sunday 5th of August? My
operating system will only crash on the third Monday of every month?

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , SteveW steve@walker-
family.me.uk scribeth thus
On 03/09/2013 15:13, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Tim Watts
scribeth thus
On Tuesday 03 September 2013 12:22 tony sayer wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In article , fred scribeth thus
In article , ARW
writes
"bucked"?

May I be the first to say (here), "how could they be so ****ing stupid?"

I very much doubt they realised that could do that until it did!...

Not much of an architect then! This is basic physics along with knowledge of
where the sun shines from.

Yes physics it is .. but in reality just how many would pick up on this
being a problem before the building went up?.

Mirror-like surface and concave - that should have rung alarm bells
immediately!

SteveW

Yes but your a scientists brain there're architects more artists in a
way...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , fred escribió:

During that time there
needs to be a worst case combination of circumstances for a problem to
manifest itself and so far it appears that there has not been a
catastrophic occurrence

So a carpet in a shop within the focus of the concentrated beam burning
up almost to the point of catching fire isn't catastrophic? Idiot.

What's more disturbing is that the architect, Rafael Viñoly, had similar
problems with another building he designed 3 years ago (the Vdara hotel
in Las Vegas). Seems he doesn't learn from his mistakes.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2013 16:30, tony sayer wrote:
[...]

When I was at school this would have been part of 1st year Physics and
that was compulsory for the first two years for every pupil!

In this case it is even worse, as the same architect had similar
problems with another building three years earlier.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/13 18:23, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , fred escribió:

During that time there
needs to be a worst case combination of circumstances for a problem to
manifest itself and so far it appears that there has not been a
catastrophic occurrence

So a carpet in a shop within the focus of the concentrated beam burning
up almost to the point of catching fire isn't catastrophic? Idiot.

What's more disturbing is that the architect, Rafael Viñoly, had similar
problems with another building he designed 3 years ago (the Vdara hotel
in Las Vegas). Seems he doesn't learn from his mistakes.

or perhaps he does.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mike Tomlinson
writes
En el artículo , fred escribió:

During that time there
needs to be a worst case combination of circumstances for a problem to
manifest itself and so far it appears that there has not been a
catastrophic occurrence

So a carpet in a shop within the focus of the concentrated beam burning
up almost to the point of catching fire isn't catastrophic? Idiot.

If you had bothered to read all of the thread you may have realised that
this branch is discussing an entirely different installation of a
parabolic mirrored artwork made some 12 years ago at the Nottingham
Playhouse. I have been countering the previous poster's suggestion that
the absence of a serious incident in those 12 years indicated that it
was safe.

I was agreeing with the expert consultant employed by the theatre who
cautioned that the mirror could represent a major fire hazard and was
suggesting that they had merely been lucky that the exact combination of
circumstances required to cause a catastrophic incident had not yet
occurred but I don't suppose you bothered to read either of the linked
articles to gain some context before you spouted forth.

Perhaps when you have sobered up or otherwise come to your senses you
may wish to revise your hasty comments?
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 21:23:27 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

On 03/09/2013 13:28, Tim Watts wrote:

I can see Pilkington getting very excited about devloping a new non
reflective coating as a custom job and selling feck knows how many 100's m2
of glass!

They already exist, on camera lenses, etc.

Now does anyone have a vacuum chamber big enough?

They can just fit external blinds on the bits that matter.

No need for blinds just wrap it in tyvek