Posted to uk.d-i-y
Part Timer Part Timer is offline

Default 'your car's bucked, could you give us a call?"

On 03/09/2013 15:07, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 02 Sep 2013 23:23:21 +0000, Steve Firth wrote:

Graham. wrote:
On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 20:35:01 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

"bucked"?

Never heard that one:-)

I wonder if the original architect plans were submitted to an optical
expert who would be able to predict that an efficient solar furnace was
being constructed?

One of Arthur C Clarke's "Tales from the White Hart" covers the same
ground. Programmes with a reflective cover issued to supporters at a cup
final. Supporters try to dazzle the ref reflecting the sun into his eyes
using the programmes. Ref explodes in greasy puff of smoke.

Or of course there's the Mythbusters presidential special: "Archimedes
death ray" which turned out to be a crock ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_
(2006_season)#Episode_46_.E2.80.93_.22Archimedes.2 7_Death_Ray.22

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_
(2010_season)#Episode_157_.E2.80.93_President.27s_ Challenge

There was a funny story a few years ago - someone made a giant parabolic
stainless steel dish in the name of art (lottery funded IIRC). Someone
else worked out that it could instantly incinerate seagulls which
happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. More money needed
to be spent on a tent-like covering.

Sorry I can't find it by googling. Definitely under the dear leader
Blair's time like many other lottery funded ideas. (Not that I've ever
played the lottery).