Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default diy projects to do.

1 put shelf rails and shelves at each end of the dinning room cupboard (finaly started that
yesterday).

2 the same for hall cupboard upstairs.

3 the same for end of two bedroom cupboards.

4 fit an outside water tap.

5 build an engineering brick tv stand. the one i did for my dad looked rather good.

6 enclose the porch and make it into a shed as i currently have no shed at all! it should be no. 1,
only i'm waiting on free bricks from the site out the back to be finnished. either build a door
frame and door or buy one.

7 lay a propper patio over the ****e bodged one whoever lived here before me laid. there are at
least 4 different heights to it!

8 lay enough slabs for me to built a 5m x 3m shed/workshop to hide and tinker in. i need to get a
'friend' to wire it up for me.

9 build the mame machine i've been promising my sons for the last year. i have all the parts bar
wood.

10 seeing as i now live on the thames, building a boat is damn tempting and i've been looking into
that over the past couple of days. i'd get my dad to build me a trailor for it, welding &c is his
bag.

11 wonder what i missed on the list as something always gets forgotten.

i will be doing all this with the aid of my 'helpers', my twin sons, 9, (one has adhd and one has
adhd and autims (like me)) as my old man had me help him when i was a nipper and i'd rather they
learn to do things for themselves than pay someone to do something they should be able to do for
themselves.

--

mhm x v i x i i i
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, August 17, 2013 5:20:03 PM UTC+1, happy zombie jebus on the cross wrote:
[...]

only 11 jobs to do, and they all look elective????
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 10:34:52 -0700 (PDT), misterroy wrote:

[...]

the dinning room shelves are being done because the cupboard is out of control and full of unopend
boxes, tools and various other misc stuff from when we moved in 3 years ago. the shelves really need
doing. the mrs wants the bedroom ones done sooner rather than later so she has somewhere to store
sheets &c. personaly. i'd rather get the shed(s) built. i get your point about elective though.

--

mhm x v i x i i i
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2013 17:20, happy zombie jebus on the cross wrote:
[...]

What are you doing next weekend then?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 19:11:48 +0100, happy zombie jebus on the cross
wrote:

the dinning room shelves are being done because the cupboard is out of
control and full of unopend boxes, tools and various other misc stuff
from when we moved in 3 years ago.

Invoke the 1 year rule on the "various other misc stuff", ie you
haven't needed it for a year you don't need it send to dump or
charity shop.

Tools, fixings, parts etc are of course excepted from the 1 year
rule. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

the dinning room shelves are being done because the cupboard is out of
control and full of unopend boxes, tools and various other misc stuff
from when we moved in 3 years ago.

Invoke the 1 year rule on the "various other misc stuff", ie you
haven't needed it for a year you don't need it send to dump or
charity shop.

I don't think that would have worked when it took me 2 years between
gutting and then reinstating the kitchen. Some of my "misc stuff" may
have been removed and disposed of had I tried it.

Tools, fixings, parts etc are of course excepted from the 1 year
rule. B-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, August 17, 2013 9:20:03 PM UTC+5, happy zombie jebus on the cross wrote:
[...]

can anyone one tell me about this...?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2013 19:11, happy zombie jebus on the cross wrote:

the dinning room shelves are being done because the cupboard is out of control and full of unopend
boxes, tools and various other misc stuff from when we moved in 3 years ago. the shelves really need
doing. the mrs wants the bedroom ones done sooner rather than later so she has somewhere to store
sheets &c. personaly. i'd rather get the shed(s) built. i get your point about elective though.

--

mhm x v i x i i i

I took me almost 4 years to get round to doing some minor jobs in this
house as I was always doing something or going somewhere when I was
working. So when I took early retirement before last Christmas, it took
just over a month to do those said jobs, and now the mrs is happy, and
so am I as I won't get nagged again to doing them, lol.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"happy zombie jebus on the cross" wrote
in message ...
1 put shelf rails and shelves at each end of the dinning room cupboard
(finaly started that
yesterday).

11 wonder what i missed on the list as something always gets forgotten.

1) Move into new (to me) flat (12 days ago). It's 4 years old.

2) Buy/fit bathroom (1) cupboard - done.
3) Buy/fit bathroom (2) mirror - done.
4) Buy/fit 2 * toilet roll holders - done (how do people live without
these?).
5) Buy/fit towel ring - done (other bathroom has standing rail).
6) Fix living room curtain rail that was hanging off because stupid numpty
previous owner hadn't drilled the screw holes deep enough - done.
7) Buy/fit LR curtain/lampshades - done.
8) Buy/fit narrow (17cm) bookcases in hallway - half done. Unfortunately
this size only comes in cheep and nasty design, but the size requirement
trumps all other considerations.
9) Buy/fit extra shelf in each of 4 kitchen cupboards - done. -Thanks B&Q
cutting service!
10) Raise shelf in storage cupboard (1) as it was in the wrong place - done.
11) Fix hooks on wall of storage cupboard (2) to hold bike out of the way.
12) Buy/fit shelf below bike to cover other stuff.
13) Replace the stupid phallic cupboard lamp fittings that are going to get
broken if I don't find something that fits flat (or is recessed). Oops one
gone already.
14) Buy/fit nice wooden bath panel to replace the awful, tacky, plastic
thing that the builders fitted. - Bought, awaiting cutting to size -
unfortunately I didn't take the exact measurement to B&Q!
15) Buy/fit curtain rail in bedroom (1) for curtains that I already have.
The EA picture suggests this was a 14.99 item, why did she take it with her?
Currently using some blackout material held up with nails. Bedroom (1) not
highest priority.
16) Buy/fit replacement lock barrel or additional lock because the numpty
owner didn't give me all the keys back (see earlier thread).
17 Paint over disgusting purple feature-wall from previous numpty (she left
the tin in the cupboard in case I wanted to touch up. Um no, that's in the
bin already!)
18) Fix all the poorly filled holes from other stuff that she took down and
repaint walls - fortunately these are white!

Um...

did I mention

unpack 60 boxes and find home for contents

move 60 empty boxes to loft space.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2013 17:20, happy zombie jebus on the cross wrote:

i will be doing all this with the aid of my 'helpers', my twin sons, 9, (one has adhd and one has
adhd and autims (like me)) as my old man had me help him when i was a nipper and i'd rather they
learn to do things for themselves than pay someone to do something they should be able to do for
themselves.

I am trying to do this with my sons, but I find it very difficult as I
have to actively resist just taking over - I also struggle with adults
if I can see that I can do it better/quicker or just through hating
standing doing nothing.

The eldest (10 yesterday) has been very useful for sending under the
floor to thread various cables through (I struggle due to bad knees and
the gap being to small to even get into a proper crawling position).

We've no chimneys to clean though

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Aug 2013 09:11:15 GMT, Huge wrote:

Invoke the 1 year rule on the "various other misc stuff", ie you
haven't needed it for a year you don't need it send to dump

or
charity shop.

I don't think that would have worked when it took me 2 years

between
gutting and then reinstating the kitchen. Some of my "misc stuff"

may
have been removed and disposed of had I tried it.

Ditto our guest bathroom, which took me about the same, start to finish.

That's why I added:

"Tools, fixings, parts etc are of course excepted from the 1 year
rule. B-)"

So anything reuired for a job "in progress" is safe.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

wrote:

i will be doing all this with the aid of my 'helpers',
my twin sons, 9, (one has adhd and one has adhd and
autims (like me)) as my old man had me help him when i
was a nipper and i'd rather they learn to do things for
themselves than pay someone to do something they should
be able to do for themselves.

I am trying to do this with my sons, but I find it very
difficult as I have to actively resist just taking over
- I also struggle with adults if I can see that I can do
it better/quicker or just through hating standing doing
nothing.

The eldest (10 yesterday) has been very useful for
sending under the floor to thread various cables through
(I struggle due to bad knees and the gap being to small
to even get into a proper crawling position).

We've no chimneys to clean though

SteveW

Started stripping the tiles (traditional Roman/French) from
one of the badly leaking shed roofs this morning. Did the
first few feet and then 14 yr and 12 yr old grandsons took
over after I showed them 'how not to fall through'

Went off to the village for some bread and a coffee and when
I got back it was almost all done!

John M

--
John Mulrooney

I bet being with gamblers anonymous will work this time
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

the dinning room shelves are being done because the cupboard is out of
control and full of unopend boxes, tools and various other misc stuff
from when we moved in 3 years ago.

Invoke the 1 year rule on the "various other misc stuff", ie you
haven't needed it for a year you don't need it send to dump or
charity shop.

Tools, fixings, parts etc are of course excepted from the 1 year
rule. B-)

i get your drift and it makes sence. everyone in the houses stuff has a home, all my stuff got
thrown in the cupboard until i got shelves sorted out to arrange it sensibibly. atm i have to delve
in to retrieve something so i can use it. its the only safe place from my children.

--

mhm x v i x i i i
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 10:17:54 +0100, Bob H wrote:

On 17/08/2013 19:11, happy zombie jebus on the cross wrote:

the dinning room shelves are being done because the cupboard is out of control and full of unopend
boxes, tools and various other misc stuff from when we moved in 3 years ago. the shelves really need
doing. the mrs wants the bedroom ones done sooner rather than later so she has somewhere to store
sheets &c. personaly. i'd rather get the shed(s) built. i get your point about elective though.

--

mhm x v i x i i i

I took me almost 4 years to get round to doing some minor jobs in this
house as I was always doing something or going somewhere when I was
working. So when I took early retirement before last Christmas, it took
just over a month to do those said jobs, and now the mrs is happy, and
so am I as I won't get nagged again to doing them, lol.

the mrs never nags me about getting mine done, i have sciatica and nuralgia and diy takes it out of
me in a big way. just putting up the rails yesterday and cutting the work surfaces for shelves meant
i over did it and i'm paying for it now, severe back spasm and lots of pain, the usual daily stuff.
none the less, i had some fun doing it. my boys, when not fighting or hitting thier little sister
did a very good job. i was rather proud of them.

i rememberd two jobs to add to the list, put up one of those concertina stair doors and block over
the top of it in. i just need a bit of insulation and a plasterboard for that. and of course the
concertina door. i need to get that done before winter. and i need to put some insulation on the
loft cover as it seems silly to have loft insulation and have a 3' square part uninsulated.

--

mhm x v i x i i i
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 20:22:05 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

paradise wildlife park, whatever that is, next saturday.

--

mhm x v i x i i i

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 02:11:48 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

the sig?

--

mhm x v i x i i i
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 12:27:42 +0100, "tim....." wrote:

[...]

ah the painfull memories of moving into a new home. i had 20 boxes that where just paperbacks. i
thought they'd all been unboxed and put on shelves bar 1 box in the bedroom and a pile about 3' high
by 2' deep on my side of the bed. not sure what to do about those. i found another when clearing out
one end of the cupboard. the mrs and i read a lot so we have LOTS of books.

seems like you have a lot of work to get on with. my local b&q doesn't have a cutting service, so if
i buy something i know it needs to be cut i go to homebase, first cuts free and 50p per extra. the
blackout thing reminded me i have to discuss with the mrs what to do about curtains or blinds in the
kitchen

move 60 empty boxes to loft space.

--

mhm x v i x i i i
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 13:05:55 +0100, SteveW wrote:

On 17/08/2013 17:20, happy zombie jebus on the cross wrote:

i will be doing all this with the aid of my 'helpers', my twin sons, 9, (one has adhd and one has
adhd and autims (like me)) as my old man had me help him when i was a nipper and i'd rather they
learn to do things for themselves than pay someone to do something they should be able to do for
themselves.

I am trying to do this with my sons, but I find it very difficult as I
have to actively resist just taking over - I also struggle with adults
if I can see that I can do it better/quicker or just through hating
standing doing nothing.

i know what you mean. i have to hold myself back as i get so frustrated with how difficult they make
something so simple seem. i let the boys both cut a shelf with the circular saw, they did a nice
straight cut and no vearing away from the straight edge. they thought it was great fun. the mrs and
i were both there to make sure nothing would go wrong.

The eldest (10 yesterday) has been very useful for sending under the
floor to thread various cables through (I struggle due to bad knees and
the gap being to small to even get into a proper crawling position).

my sons are desperate to help me do things. they get really upset if i do something and don't give
them the option to help me or not. a couple of weeks ago i got around to putting up corner shelves
to put my z5500 speekers on, they got the hump well and truely because i didn't ask them to help.

We've no chimneys to clean though

SteveW

--

mhm x v i x i i i
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:

4) Buy/fit 2 * toilet roll holders - done (how do people live without
these?).

Perhaps they use one of these instead. It also means
that you can have up to 3 additional rolls in reserve.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00162549/

GRUNDTAL
Toilet roll stand, stainless steel
£6.25

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2013 19:37, happy zombie jebus on the cross wrote:
[...]

Buy Kindles. I have 65 books on mine at the moment.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-08-19, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Buy Kindles. I have 65 books on mine at the moment.

Until the day Amazon decides you shouldn't have.

Calibre sorts that out.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 08:18:14 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

i have a blackberry playbook and we have kindles and other assorted ebook readers. they are a pale
comparison to reading a real honest paper or hard back. pluss. some books are just not suitable for
that size, for instance, take the oversized coffee table books or reference books. it just doesn't
work on a tablet or ebook reader.

--

mhm x v i x i i i
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-08-19, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Buy Kindles. I have 65 books on mine at the moment.

Until the day Amazon decides you shouldn't have.

Calibre sorts that out.

a very good tool. the mrs reads at least 10 books a week and uses it to organize hers.

--

mhm x v i x i i i
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 07:16:28 +0100, Chris J Dixon wrote:

tim..... wrote:

4) Buy/fit 2 * toilet roll holders - done (how do people live without
these?).

Perhaps they use one of these instead. It also means
that you can have up to 3 additional rolls in reserve.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00162549/

no! not ikea. if i mention that to the mrs, we'll be off on a trip up to wembley before i can say
no. she's a swede btw. she loves that shop.

GRUNDTAL
Toilet roll stand, stainless steel
£6.25

or save yourself a few quid and make one from wood. varnish it if you want it to look perty.

Chris

--

mhm x v i x i i i
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-08-19, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Buy Kindles. I have 65 books on mine at the moment.

Until the day Amazon decides you shouldn't have.

Calibre sorts that out.

a very good tool.

No, its hideous and was designed by a ****wit. But it does work.

the mrs reads at least 10 books a week and uses it to organize hers.

I've used it to move my Fictionwise and ipaq libraries onto a Kindle. It
works,even if it does induce projectile vomiting.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-08-19, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Buy Kindles. I have 65 books on mine at the moment.

Until the day Amazon decides you shouldn't have.

Calibre sorts that out.

a very good tool.

No, its hideous and was designed by a ****wit. But it does work.

I like software to be developed but almost every time I come to use Calibre it
displays a popup saying a new version is available.

The interface is extremely obscure and clunky and on a netbook with a reduced
screen area it's a PITA. But compared to 'big book co' having total control
over my library it is an acceptable solution.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 17:20:03 +0100, happy zombie jebus on the cross
wrote:

[...]

the mrs now wants a shelf in the kitchen to put all her cookbooks on (****ed if i know why we have
them, she never ever uses them and only uses the two swedish ones as she is swede). she also wants 3
shelves extended sideways by 18".

--

mhm x v i x i i i

Kid Projects cshenk Home Repair 6 August 23rd 08 06:35 PM
New projects 0/5 Smaug Ichorfang Woodworking Plans and Photos 4 July 11th 08 12:56 AM
My Two projects - Can I do it? D J Home Repair 10 January 14th 07 01:22 PM