Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Roundup

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 23:40:26 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

I tend to buy this http://www.wilko.com/invt/0330897 - I'm sure I
could find it cheaper but that is small quantity

Someone needs to teech Wilco some maffs

£28/litre not £2.80/litre

And how to write an accessable website. Completely blank page in my
browser and looking at the code 98% or higher is javascript linking
stuff to every single product category they have. There is more
product information in the head section than there is body! And
the code is 256k... to give less than 1k of real information.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday 15 July 2013 22:54 Steve Firth wrote in uk.d-i-y:

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

On 15/07/2013 16:21, Steve Firth wrote:

Well it must work because it's on the EU's hit list of chemicals to
ban.
Google on: glyphosate EU ban

Oh great - the one weed killer that is effective and safe and someone
wants to ban it, based on no evidence whatsoever.

And the evidence you have that it's safe would be?

What is the evidence you have that it is harmful?

Water is toxic if you have enough:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, July 16, 2013 12:00:46 AM UTC+1, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,

"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote:

On 15/07/2013 16:21, Steve Firth wrote:

Well it must work because it's on the EU's hit list of chemicals to ban.

Google on: glyphosate EU ban

Oh great - the one weed killer that is effective and safe and someone wants

to ban it, based on no evidence whatsoever.

And the evidence you have that it's safe would be?

Safe in what sense? it's obviously not safe for weeds, or indeed lawns.

But then it's not intended to be. You need to define what your concerns

are, in terms of potential damage to something specific and unexpected -

like the unborn, say.

If you can't do that, and back it up with evidence, you're just an

ignorant dweeb that we can - and will - larf at, and poke you with sharp

sticks through the bars of your cage.

--

Tim

Just to stir the ordure

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8308903.stm

http://corporatecrime.wordpress.com/...ain-and-again/

There are oodles of anti-Monsanto, anti Roundup sites.

I'm passing no comments. I'm a satisfied user of Roundup and would be lost without it.

Someone mentioned using Weeedol. Weedol is fundamentally different. It kills above the surface so the weed may re-grow from the root. Roundup/Glyphosphate goes to the root and kills the entire plant.

I'm trying Premazor this year as an alternative to Simazine which was banned some time back. It lies on the surface to prevent further growth. Its working well on our Patio where Roundup wasn't entirely successful.

Sometimes I have at them with a flame gun. Great satifaction to see them curl up
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 23:40:26 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

I tend to buy this http://www.wilko.com/invt/0330897 - I'm sure I
could find it cheaper but that is small quantity

Someone needs to teech Wilco some maffs

£28/litre not £2.80/litre

And how to write an accessable website. Completely blank page in my
browser and looking at the code 98% or higher is javascript linking
stuff to every single product category they have. There is more
product information in the head section than there is body! And
the code is 256k... to give less than 1k of real information.

Heh, I didn't give any recommendation on their numeracy skills, or their
coding

That stuff is expensive yes, but it's convenient and doesn't go off. Mix up
a litre in a spray bottle and use it as I need. Lasts ages without problem.

Worth paying the premium for the convenience. Obviously, if you need larger
quanitities then there are better suppliers but for grabbing a bottle on
a sunday afternoon while in town anyway it beats the sheds.

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield used his keyboard to write :
"apparently you can get white vinegar from chinese supermarkets, very
cheaply - £1.99 for 5 litres, if there are any near you."

Thank you mumsnet.

Not near, about 8 miles away, so we'll pop in next time we are near. Thanks..

SWMBO is collecting an half litre of white, to try in a hand spray
bottle. I'll report back on the result.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2013 10:03, fred wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8308903.stm

http://corporatecrime.wordpress.com/...ain-and-again/

There are oodles of anti-Monsanto, anti Roundup sites.

Exactly. Infinitely more sites, reports and tests on the problems
Roundup type products cause. It appears there is more of a problem with
the "extra" ingredients (surfactants etc) used in these products than
just the glyco...

But to entertain the blinkered sleeping ones....
http://goo.gl/oZXqc

Google "roundup dna damage human"
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22331240

"Since we found genotoxic effects after short exposure to concentrations
that correspond to a 450-fold dilution of spraying used in agriculture,
our findings indicate that inhalation may cause DNA damage in exposed
individuals."

I'm passing no comments. I'm a satisfied user of Roundup and would be lost without it.

And I too have used it to control weeds in paths etc (but didn't find it
that effective)

The issue I was bringing up was nothing to do with is efficacy as a
"weed killer" but to the fact Monsanto has been genetically modifying
crops for years to resist it's toxicity thereby creating a plant that
will uptake the chemical through it's growing season and carry it into
the very food stuffs we eat without any specific labelling to such effect.
http://www.monsanto.com/products/Pag...ral-seeds.aspx

The question is - would you (anyone that says it's "safe") be happy to
use ANY chemical weedkiller on and around any plant you would later
harvest and eat or feed to your children or pregnant wife etc?

Must get on, more pressing matters need my attention.
Pete@
--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Refusing to sell GMO Soya supplements
Still supplying gym equipment to MOD, Schools, Universities, Police,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2013 13:55, wrote:
Has anyone else noticed this stuff is isn't a patch on what it used
to be? I reckon the formula's been got-at and substantially weakened.
It's lost most of its effectiveness. Is there a new frontrunner in
the weedkiller market, 'cos Roundup today is %&*(*($_! hopeless.

I bought this: (beware line wrap)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008EQV3M...3p_M3T1_ dp_1

and added 110 ml to five litres of water and sprayed it. After two days,
slight wilting was observable, and two weeks later, everything I had
sprayed was completely brown and flattened.
It may have had an effect on the mosses too, but I cannot be totally
sure of that.

I just wish it had a residual effect.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/13 14:45, David wrote:
On 15/07/2013 13:55, wrote:
Has anyone else noticed this stuff is isn't a patch on what it used
to be? I reckon the formula's been got-at and substantially weakened.
It's lost most of its effectiveness. Is there a new frontrunner in
the weedkiller market, 'cos Roundup today is %&*(*($_! hopeless.

I bought this: (beware line wrap)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008EQV3M...3p_M3T1_ dp_1

and added 110 ml to five litres of water and sprayed it. After two
days, slight wilting was observable, and two weeks later, everything I
had sprayed was completely brown and flattened.

that's pretty much how roundup works.

It may have had an effect on the mosses too, but I cannot be totally
sure of that.

I just wish it had a residual effect.

It is sold largely because it does not. It breaks down very quickly

For long lasting sterility use pathclear.

David

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/13 14:45, David wrote:
On 15/07/2013 13:55, wrote:
Has anyone else noticed this stuff is isn't a patch on what it used
to be? I reckon the formula's been got-at and substantially weakened.
It's lost most of its effectiveness. Is there a new frontrunner in
the weedkiller market, 'cos Roundup today is %&*(*($_! hopeless.

I bought this: (beware line wrap)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008EQV3M...3p_M3T1_ dp_1

and added 110 ml to five litres of water and sprayed it. After two
days, slight wilting was observable, and two weeks later, everything I
had sprayed was completely brown and flattened.

that's pretty much how roundup works.

It may have had an effect on the mosses too, but I cannot be totally
sure of that.

I just wish it had a residual effect.

It is sold largely because it does not. It breaks down very quickly

For long lasting sterility use pathclear.

David

I agree, Pathclear is very good, it's also bleeding expensive.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 16 July 2013 11:46:29 UTC+1, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
On 16/07/2013 10:03, fred wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8308903.stm

http://corporatecrime.wordpress.com/...ain-and-again/

There are oodles of anti-Monsanto, anti Roundup sites.

Exactly. Infinitely more sites, reports and tests on the problems

Roundup type products cause. It appears there is more of a problem with

the "extra" ingredients (surfactants etc) used in these products than

just the glyco...

I heard about the problem with certain amphibians on a science podcast

http://www.esajournals.org/doi/abs/10.1890/04-1291

I use roundup, in fact it's propbly the only time I visit the garden is to put weedkiller down

And I too have used it to control weeds in paths etc (but didn't find it

that effective)

I;ve noit found it effective on paths seemd to work OK after about a week on soil.

The issue I was bringing up was nothing to do with is efficacy as a

"weed killer" but to the fact Monsanto has been genetically modifying

crops for years to resist it's toxicity thereby creating a plant that

will uptake the chemical through it's growing season and carry it into

the very food stuffs we eat without any specific labelling to such effect..

http://www.monsanto.com/products/Pag...ral-seeds.aspx

The question is - would you (anyone that says it's "safe") be happy to

use ANY chemical weedkiller on and around any plant you would later

harvest and eat or feed to your children or pregnant wife etc?

That's a difficult one, I remmeber when I was young finding it a bit icky that some of my food grew from horse ****. In my mind something growing from **** can't be healthy can it ?
I wouldn't use any weedkiller if I were planning on planting things to grow and then eat unless told it was OK on the instructions or buy someone knowledgeable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 23:40:26 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

I tend to buy this http://www.wilko.com/invt/0330897 - I'm sure I
could find it cheaper but that is small quantity

Someone needs to teech Wilco some maffs

£28/litre not £2.80/litre

And how to write an accessable website. Completely blank page in my
browser

you need an upgrade ;(

-
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M.Chapman wrote:

Indeed. I tend to buy this http://www.wilko.com/invt/0330897 - I'm sure I
could find it cheaper but that is small quantity (I don't need litres of
the stuff) and is handily available on the highstreet.

I can buy three litres at the same concentration for the price of one
litre of that weedkiller from Wilko. A little price inflation is usual
for small purchases, but that price is extracting the urine.

--
Burn Hollywood burn, burn down to the ground
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
D.M.Chapman wrote:

Indeed. I tend to buy this http://www.wilko.com/invt/0330897 - I'm sure I
could find it cheaper but that is small quantity (I don't need litres of
the stuff) and is handily available on the highstreet.

I can buy three litres at the same concentration for the price of one
litre of that weedkiller from Wilko. A little price inflation is usual
for small purchases, but that price is extracting the urine.

That's nice for you.

I however find that that little bottle lasts me 3 years. I don't want 30
years worth of concentrated weedkiller sitting around in my shed tbh.

As I say, it's worth it to me for the convenience. It's not for you. fairy
snuff.

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 15:03:53 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

As a matter of interest, and I don't want to buy any, what is the max
glypohsate strength available? I've not seen anything stronger than 360,
in various places, and even then in B&Q you had to ask for it. They had
9 litre bottles of the stuff nicked at the Canterbury store, apparently
by cannabis growers.

Why the hell would cannabis growers want to use / nick glyphosate?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote:

On 15/07/2013 16:21, Steve Firth wrote:

Well it must work because it's on the EU's hit list of chemicals to ban.
Google on: glyphosate EU ban

Oh great - the one weed killer that is effective and safe and someone wants

to ban it, based on no evidence whatsoever.

And the evidence you have that it's safe would be?

Safe in what sense? it's obviously not safe for weeds, or indeed lawns.
But then it's not intended to be. You need to define what your concerns
are, in terms of potential damage to something specific and unexpected -
like the unborn, say.

It is unsafe to anything that relies on the shikimic acid pathway and
relatively benign to mammals. LD50 about the same as for the caffeine in
coffee. It is the wetting agents that you need to worry about.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/rhodcv/ho...at/ar00007.htm

If you can't do that, and back it up with evidence, you're just an
ignorant dweeb that we can - and will - larf at, and poke you with sharp
sticks through the bars of your cage.

Just to stir the ordure

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8308903.stm

http://corporatecrime.wordpress.com/...ain-and-again/

There are oodles of anti-Monsanto, anti Roundup sites.

Heck yes. Don't give Monsanto a penny they are the most irresponsible
organisation going with their GM RoundUp Ready hegemoney (sic).

I'm passing no comments. I'm a satisfied user of Roundup and would be lost without it.

Use any other sheds own brand generic glyphosate or Zenecas equivalent
Touchdown which differs only in the salt and wetting agent formulation.
Unfortunately they do give some license money back to Monsanto now.

Someone mentioned using Weeedol. Weedol is fundamentally different. It kills above the surface so the weed may re-grow from the root. Roundup/Glyphosphate goes to the root and kills the entire plant.

So use a generic non-Monsanto glyphosate then. DIY Sheds are full of it!

I'm trying Premazor this year as an alternative to Simazine which was banned some time back. It lies on the surface to prevent further growth. Its working well on our Patio where Roundup wasn't entirely successful.

Sometimes I have at them with a flame gun. Great satifaction to see them curl up

But the least environmentally friendly in terms of energy used per plant
killed. Some "Green" solutions are extraordinarily crass.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

As a matter of interest, and I don't want to buy any, what is the max
glypohsate strength available? I've not seen anything stronger than 360,
in various places, and even then in B&Q you had to ask for it. They had
9 litre bottles of the stuff nicked at the Canterbury store, apparently
by cannabis growers.

Why the hell would cannabis growers want to use / nick glyphosate?

maybe to get rid of weed before planting ?

Roundup strength Broadback[_3_] UK diy 28 June 8th 13 02:06 PM
Roundup Concentrate cj Home Repair 22 September 5th 12 05:41 PM
Roundup shelf life Frank J Warner Home Repair 9 November 28th 11 07:51 PM
To Roundup or not Roundup Kurt Ullman Home Repair 41 July 2nd 11 03:35 PM
Roundup or What? Lawrence[_3_] UK diy 54 October 27th 10 06:58 AM