Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Roundup

On 16/07/2013 10:03, fred wrote:
On Tuesday, July 16, 2013 12:00:46 AM UTC+1, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,

"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote:

On 15/07/2013 16:21, Steve Firth wrote:

Well it must work because it's on the EU's hit list of chemicals to ban.
Google on: glyphosate EU ban

Oh great - the one weed killer that is effective and safe and someone wants

to ban it, based on no evidence whatsoever.

And the evidence you have that it's safe would be?

Safe in what sense? it's obviously not safe for weeds, or indeed lawns.
But then it's not intended to be. You need to define what your concerns
are, in terms of potential damage to something specific and unexpected -
like the unborn, say.

It is unsafe to anything that relies on the shikimic acid pathway and
relatively benign to mammals. LD50 about the same as for the caffeine in
coffee. It is the wetting agents that you need to worry about.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/rhodcv/ho...at/ar00007.htm

If you can't do that, and back it up with evidence, you're just an
ignorant dweeb that we can - and will - larf at, and poke you with sharp
sticks through the bars of your cage.

Just to stir the ordure

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8308903.stm

http://corporatecrime.wordpress.com/...ain-and-again/

There are oodles of anti-Monsanto, anti Roundup sites.

Heck yes. Don't give Monsanto a penny they are the most irresponsible
organisation going with their GM RoundUp Ready hegemoney (sic).

I'm passing no comments. I'm a satisfied user of Roundup and would be lost without it.

Use any other sheds own brand generic glyphosate or Zenecas equivalent
Touchdown which differs only in the salt and wetting agent formulation.
Unfortunately they do give some license money back to Monsanto now.

Someone mentioned using Weeedol. Weedol is fundamentally different. It kills above the surface so the weed may re-grow from the root. Roundup/Glyphosphate goes to the root and kills the entire plant.

So use a generic non-Monsanto glyphosate then. DIY Sheds are full of it!

I'm trying Premazor this year as an alternative to Simazine which was banned some time back. It lies on the surface to prevent further growth. Its working well on our Patio where Roundup wasn't entirely successful.

Sometimes I have at them with a flame gun. Great satifaction to see them curl up

But the least environmentally friendly in terms of energy used per plant
killed. Some "Green" solutions are extraordinarily crass.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown