Posted to uk.d-i-y
cdr cdr is offline

Default Alternative to rubber for vibration absorbing?

I bought a "rubber bench block" on ebay, but when I unpacked it, it really stank and gave me a bad headache. I wanted to experiment by putting rubber blocks underneath my bed legs, to stop vibrating floorboards from shaking the bed and waking me up.

Can anyone think of an alternative to rubber please? How about sand, placed in some kind of soft pouch like container? (I'm just guessing here!)

Thanks a lot for any ideas.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, July 11, 2013 3:28:04 PM UTC+12, cdr wrote:
I bought a "rubber bench block" on ebay, but when I unpacked it, it really stank and gave me a bad headache. I wanted to experiment by putting rubber blocks underneath my bed legs, to stop vibrating floorboards from shaking the bed and waking me up.

Can anyone think of an alternative to rubber please? How about sand, placed in some kind of soft pouch like container? (I'm just guessing here!)

Thanks a lot for any ideas.

My son has a sandbox under his turntable, since he still listens to vinyl.
I have a waterbed with 400 litres of water. No vibration gets past that!
My washing machine is the only thing that could vibrate a floor, however the floor consists of a 9 cubic metre block of concrete so the washing machine doesn't have a chance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2013 04:28, cdr wrote:
I bought a "rubber bench block" on ebay, but when I unpacked it, it really stank and gave me a bad headache. I wanted to experiment by putting rubber blocks underneath my bed legs, to stop vibrating floorboards from shaking the bed and waking me up.

Can anyone think of an alternative to rubber please? How about sand, placed in some kind of soft pouch like container? (I'm just guessing here!)

Thanks a lot for any ideas.

1) Put the rubber blocks under the source of the vibration.

2) Fix the floorboards

3) Fit stiff springs to the bed feet

4) Suspend the bed on ropes; from the ceiling if it is strong enough,
else build a frame to carry it.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , cdr
writes
I bought a "rubber bench block" on ebay, but when I unpacked it, it
really stank and gave me a bad headache. I wanted to experiment by
putting rubber blocks underneath my bed legs, to stop vibrating
floorboards from shaking the bed and waking me up.

Could you not wrap your smelly rubber in cling film to contain the smell
while you experiment?

Can anyone think of an alternative to rubber please? How about sand,
placed in some kind of soft pouch like container? (I'm just guessing
here!)

Stiff plastic foam as used for sun beds etc.

Thanks a lot for any ideas.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:
On 11/07/2013 04:28, cdr wrote:
I bought a "rubber bench block" on ebay, but when I unpacked it, it
really stank and gave me a bad headache. I wanted to experiment by
putting rubber blocks underneath my bed legs, to stop vibrating
floorboards from shaking the bed and waking me up.

Can anyone think of an alternative to rubber please? How about sand,
placed in some kind of soft pouch like container? (I'm just guessing
here!)

Thanks a lot for any ideas.

1) Put the rubber blocks under the source of the vibration.

2) Fix the floorboards

3) Fit stiff springs to the bed feet

4) Suspend the bed on ropes; from the ceiling if it is strong enough,
else build a frame to carry it.

Colin Bignell

Turn bed into hydrofoil?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yess adding mass to the bed would probably be a good thing, but maybe the
best approach is to stop the floor vibrating in the first place. Sounds a
bit dangerous to me.
In the rubber problem of smelly, this is probably neoprene rubber. What you
need is perhaps a pile of that cellular rubber carpet underlay instead. This
seems not to pong. presumably this problem has been eliminated due to where
its used, ie it would not be much use if it stank the place out!

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Matty F" wrote in message
On Thursday, July 11, 2013 3:28:04 PM UTC+12, cdr wrote:
I bought a "rubber bench block" on ebay, but when I unpacked it, it
really stank and gave me a bad headache. I wanted to experiment by
putting rubber blocks underneath my bed legs, to stop vibrating
floorboards from shaking the bed and waking me up.

Can anyone think of an alternative to rubber please? How about sand,
placed in some kind of soft pouch like container? (I'm just guessing
here!)

Thanks a lot for any ideas.

My son has a sandbox under his turntable, since he still listens to vinyl.
I have a waterbed with 400 litres of water. No vibration gets past that!
My washing machine is the only thing that could vibrate a floor, however
the floor consists of a 9 cubic metre block of concrete so the washing
machine doesn't have a chance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
cdr wrote:
I bought a "rubber bench block" on ebay, but when I unpacked it, it
really stank and gave me a bad headache. I wanted to experiment by
putting rubber blocks underneath my bed legs, to stop vibrating
floorboards from shaking the bed and waking me up.

Well, the mattress already does that. Get a better one?

--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2013 09:10, F Murtz wrote:
Nightjar wrote:
On 11/07/2013 04:28, cdr wrote:
I bought a "rubber bench block" on ebay, but when I unpacked it, it
really stank and gave me a bad headache. I wanted to experiment by
putting rubber blocks underneath my bed legs, to stop vibrating
floorboards from shaking the bed and waking me up.

Can anyone think of an alternative to rubber please? How about sand,
placed in some kind of soft pouch like container? (I'm just guessing
here!)

Thanks a lot for any ideas.

1) Put the rubber blocks under the source of the vibration.

2) Fix the floorboards

3) Fit stiff springs to the bed feet

4) Suspend the bed on ropes; from the ceiling if it is strong enough,
else build a frame to carry it.

Colin Bignell

Turn bed into hydrofoil?

And we all know that watercraft have hammocks - which neatly ties in 4)
on Colin's response. Turn bed into hydrofoil and install a hammock on board.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wrap the rubber blocks in thick plastic sheeting or heavy-duty rubble sacks
sealed shut which wouldn't allow the smell to escape?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Brian Gaff
scribeth thus
The mind boggles what might be vibrating you floorboards in the first
place.Do you have gymnasts with strange sexual practices next door?

Brian

Wasn't this poster here with a loud slamming door by other residents
problem the other week?...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It might be just me (or my newsreader) but this thread keeps disappearing.
I see the latest contribution but no previous ones, and then when I come
back to the group even that last post has gone. The whole subject vanishes
until a new post turns up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Idiot. Somehow I'd switched the view to "hide read messages"...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 11/07/2013 04:28, cdr wrote:
I bought a "rubber bench block" on ebay, but when I unpacked it, it really stank and gave me a bad headache. I wanted to experiment by putting rubber blocks underneath my bed legs, to stop vibrating floorboards from shaking the bed and waking me up.

Can anyone think of an alternative to rubber please? How about sand, placed in some kind of soft pouch like container? (I'm just guessing here!)

Thanks a lot for any ideas.

Wrap the rubber bench blocks in cling film.

Do I get a prize for cheapest solution?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 11/07/2013 08:58, Tim Lamb wrote:

Could you not wrap your smelly rubber in cling film to contain the smell
while you experiment?

That reminds me to read the whole thread before commenting in future.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2013 04:28, cdr wrote:
I bought a "rubber bench block" on ebay, but when I unpacked it, it really stank and gave me a bad headache. I wanted to experiment by putting rubber blocks underneath my bed legs, to stop vibrating floorboards from shaking the bed and waking me up.

Can anyone think of an alternative to rubber please? How about sand, placed in some kind of soft pouch like container? (I'm just guessing here!)

Thanks a lot for any ideas.

I'd be more concerned with stopping the vibrating floor boards.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:28:04 AM UTC+1, cdr wrote:
I bought a "rubber bench block" on ebay, but when I unpacked it, it really stank and gave me a bad headache. I wanted to experiment by putting rubber blocks underneath my bed legs, to stop vibrating floorboards from shaking the bed and waking me up.

Can anyone think of an alternative to rubber please?

carpet pads, a few layers.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:28:04 AM UTC+1, cdr wrote:
I bought a "rubber bench block" on ebay, but when I unpacked it, it
really stank and gave me a bad headache. I wanted to experiment by
putting rubber blocks underneath my bed legs, to stop vibrating
floorboards from shaking the bed and waking me up.

Can anyone think of an alternative to rubber please?

carpet pads, a few layers.

The smell will probably disappear after a while.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 08:22:18 +0100, "harryagain"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:28:04 AM UTC+1, cdr wrote:
I bought a "rubber bench block" on ebay, but when I unpacked it, it
really stank and gave me a bad headache. I wanted to experiment by
putting rubber blocks underneath my bed legs, to stop vibrating
floorboards from shaking the bed and waking me up.

Can anyone think of an alternative to rubber please?

carpet pads, a few layers.

The smell will probably disappear after a while.

That means a new bed, surely?