Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Alternative to rubber for vibration absorbing?

Yess adding mass to the bed would probably be a good thing, but maybe the
best approach is to stop the floor vibrating in the first place. Sounds a
bit dangerous to me.
In the rubber problem of smelly, this is probably neoprene rubber. What you
need is perhaps a pile of that cellular rubber carpet underlay instead. This
seems not to pong. presumably this problem has been eliminated due to where
its used, ie it would not be much use if it stank the place out!

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Matty F" wrote in message
On Thursday, July 11, 2013 3:28:04 PM UTC+12, cdr wrote:
I bought a "rubber bench block" on ebay, but when I unpacked it, it
really stank and gave me a bad headache. I wanted to experiment by
putting rubber blocks underneath my bed legs, to stop vibrating
floorboards from shaking the bed and waking me up.

Can anyone think of an alternative to rubber please? How about sand,
placed in some kind of soft pouch like container? (I'm just guessing
here!)

Thanks a lot for any ideas.

My son has a sandbox under his turntable, since he still listens to vinyl.
I have a waterbed with 400 litres of water. No vibration gets past that!
My washing machine is the only thing that could vibrate a floor, however
the floor consists of a 9 cubic metre block of concrete so the washing
machine doesn't have a chance.