Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any experience of QPL Qual-Fit push-fits from Toolstation?

Has anyone used QPL (aka Qual-Plumb aka Qual-Fit aka PipeLife) pushfit
plumbing fittings, as sold by Toolstation?

15mm elbow, for example: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p46696

I thought they would be OK for temporary use during bathroom
renovation as fittings get moved around and pipework moved, and that I
would leave them in place if they were OK.

Having got a pack home, I see they need a demounting tool (which
Toolstation don't sell). Their various websites are pretty
uninformative - a product list and comprehensive installation
instructions would seem like good candidates to put on-line but I
haven't managed to locate them. And I get the impression that when
you reuse them, you're supposed to change the grab rings and O-rings
(packs of 50 from Toolstation, which is fine if you're using them all
the time but a waste if you want half a dozen).

(As an aside, they also say that plastic pipe should only be cut with
"purpose designed pipe cutters. Do not use a hacksaw" which is
completely contrary to the advice from uk.d-i-y's resident hacksaw-and-
weep expert! Whither he?)

So having sworn off the notoriously crap FloPlast after having to rip
out the newly installed kitchen floor because the buggers apparently
don't react well with copper, I'm wondering if I should just take
these back and get JG Speedfit?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 4 May 2013 10:42:07 -0700 (PDT), mike wrote:

(As an aside, they also say that plastic pipe should only be cut with
"purpose designed pipe cutters. Do not use a hacksaw" which is
completely contrary to the advice from uk.d-i-y's resident hacksaw-and-
weep expert! Whither he?)

When I replumbed the house I didn't have the cutters and didn't want to use
a hacksaw (or an angle grinder!). I found that an ordinary (copper) pipe
cutter would put a good groove in the pipe and then I'd finish off with a
sharp knife, including trimming a bit off the inside.
This method also results in a 'bull-nose' lead-in end.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:
On Sat, 4 May 2013 10:42:07 -0700 (PDT), mike wrote:

(As an aside, they also say that plastic pipe should only be cut with
"purpose designed pipe cutters. Do not use a hacksaw" which is
completely contrary to the advice from uk.d-i-y's resident hacksaw-and-
weep expert! Whither he?)

When I replumbed the house I didn't have the cutters and didn't want to use
a hacksaw (or an angle grinder!).

When doing some pushfit plumbing out in the bush (well, farmyard) I once
used a hacksaw as I didn't have the cutters with me. No problem, didn't
leak although the caveat that it was outside so didn't matter and, IIRC,
on a tank so not exactly 10bar.

Mind you, I presume the reasoning is that any burrs or imperfections on
the pipe could nick the O-ring and leave a weep channel.

Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, May 4, 2013 6:42:07 PM UTC+1, mike wrote:

snip

So having sworn off the notoriously crap FloPlast after having to rip

out the newly installed kitchen floor because the buggers apparently

don't react well with copper, I'm wondering if I should just take

these back and get JG Speedfit?

take em back and buy Hep2O ?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
mike writes:
Has anyone used QPL (aka Qual-Plumb aka Qual-Fit aka PipeLife) pushfit
plumbing fittings, as sold by Toolstation?

15mm elbow, for example: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p46696

I thought they would be OK for temporary use during bathroom
renovation as fittings get moved around and pipework moved, and that I
would leave them in place if they were OK.

Having got a pack home, I see they need a demounting tool (which
Toolstation don't sell). Their various websites are pretty
uninformative - a product list and comprehensive installation
instructions would seem like good candidates to put on-line but I
haven't managed to locate them. And I get the impression that when
you reuse them, you're supposed to change the grab rings and O-rings
(packs of 50 from Toolstation, which is fine if you're using them all
the time but a waste if you want half a dozen).

I don't tend to use pushfit for long term fittings, just short term,
but when I do use them, I use the JG Speedfit range, which seem very
good.
http://www.bes.co.uk/products/154.asp

No tools required for disassembly. They have a screw-down locking
ring to prevent the grab ring being released (except for the stop-end
fittings). Of course, there are situations where the requirement of
an obscure tool for disassembly is a plus point. The stop-end fittings
are very useful whilst plumbing, and I keep several of each size.

The O-rings wear out with repeated assembly/disassembly, but you
can easily get them out of the fittings and replace them. My pressure
tester has a JG speedfit fitting, and with repeated use, the O-ring
needs replacing about once a year - I just take one from another
JG fitting.

(As an aside, they also say that plastic pipe should only be cut with
"purpose designed pipe cutters. Do not use a hacksaw" which is
completely contrary to the advice from uk.d-i-y's resident hacksaw-and-
weep expert! Whither he?)

So having sworn off the notoriously crap FloPlast after having to rip
out the newly installed kitchen floor because the buggers apparently
don't react well with copper, I'm wondering if I should just take
these back and get JG Speedfit?

Speedfit also won't like any burr on the pipe ends. Loose burr might
end up in the seal, and attached burr may nick the O-ring on insertion.
In the case of metal pipe, I sand the end smooth if it's been sawn.
With plastic, you would need to be more careful about not damaging the
part of the surface where the O-ring seals.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 5, 11:06*am, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:

I don't tend to use pushfit for long term fittings, just short term,
but when I do use them, I use the JG Speedfit range, which seem very
good.http://www.bes.co.uk/products/154.asp

Thanks for all the replies. Have swapped for JG at Toolstation.

Hep2O look interesting but a bit harder to source locally. Some
online bad press about their latest version though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 May, 08:41, PeterC wrote:
On Sat, 4 May 2013 10:42:07 -0700 (PDT), mike wrote:
(As an aside, they also say that plastic pipe should only be cut with
"purpose designed pipe cutters. Do not use a hacksaw" which is
completely contrary to the advice from uk.d-i-y's resident hacksaw-and-
weep expert! Whither he?)

When I replumbed the house I didn't have the cutters and didn't want to use
a hacksaw (or an angle grinder!). I found that an ordinary (copper) pipe
cutter would

cut plastic pipe just fine, was my experience. No mishaps 10 years
later.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Jim K, Brum wrote:
Hep20 worst on market best are poyplumb and speed fit by a mile

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...on-893739-.htm