Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Machine Mart - small claim

On 15/08/2013 10:25, Dave Baker wrote:

They clearly really annoyed the judge with their behaviour so I think you
have the moral victory.

The whole thing clearly annoyed the judge. Fancy taking goods back and
effectively giving no refund! So, he was obviously not going to let them
have any expenses. I thought that, in principle, they ought to have been
entitled to reasonable fares by public transport? Even if that was only
from the local store.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Watts
scribeth thus
On Thursday 15 August 2013 09:27 Rick Hughes wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 14/08/2013 22:18, GB wrote:
On 14/08/2013 21:34, Rick Hughes wrote:

How much did it all cost you (cash, not time)?

£50 plus original item cost of £38

They sent someone from head office to contest a £38 claim? My jaw
dropped. I thought this must be hundreds.

Did you annoy somebody who took it personally?

He came form Nottingham, claimed they had to hire a car (200) plus 45p
per mile for a 440mile round trip.
Judge threw out all travel claim.
He also tried to claim for days wages as well (also rejected)

Dork. Hope his bosses kicked someone in the nuts - all over a £38 product!

Its just **** poor UK best in class management.. or rather mismanagement.

Compare it to Toolstation. I bought a couple of items, they weren't faulty we
just didn't need them and we'd had them in stock for some while unopened and
still in as new condition.

Took them back for a refund. Yes Sir no problem sorry they weren't right for
what you needed but a full refund.

Hence we go back there for more equipment..

Its that simple. OK they might for all I know have just put the other stuff
back into stock there was nothing wrong with it, they might have scrapped it
or flogged it off cheap but either way no concern of mine just that I am still
a customer of theirs and will remain so.

They might have lost a small amount of money but they will know that we'll be
back and spend again and they will make up that loss if indeed they've
incurred one.

If they put me through what the OP has been through then **** them plain and
simple...

Regardless of any legal rights or wrongs they will have to learn its people
your dealing with and thats where a lot of them fall down in retail.

I bet John Lewis wouldn't have done that, another good outfit to deal with and
we do because of their excellent customer service....

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday 15 August 2013 11:24 tony sayer wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Its just **** poor UK best in class management.. or rather mismanagement.

Compare it to Toolstation. I bought a couple of items, they weren't faulty
we just didn't need them and we'd had them in stock for some while
unopened and still in as new condition.

Took them back for a refund. Yes Sir no problem sorry they weren't right
for what you needed but a full refund.

Hence we go back there for more equipment..

My email:

Dear Mr Carnell,

I've been following the Usenet uk-d-i-y group about Rick Hughes and his £38
lamp that he returned to you as not fit for purpose.

I was very interested in the decision to offer a time limited credit note,
instead of a quibble free cash refund (as many of your competitors would
have done) I was then further interested in the decision to defend this
action in court and then try to claim ten times the amount of the original
purchase in travel expenses (rejected as I understand).

So, from what I conclude, your company would rather spend £380 than keep one
customer happy over a £38 cash refund for an unfit product.

Not to mention the fact that you have certainly lost me as a potential
customer - I am about to buy 2 sanders, good quality and later this year, a
pressure washer - probably one of the Nilfisk models that you sell.

I wonder how many other sales you have lost?

Well done - British management at its best. Good luck with that approach...

Yours,

Once an occasional customer and now definitely not a customer, ever.

--
Tim Watts
Personal Blog: http://squiddy.blog.dionic.net/

http://www.sensorly.com/ Crowd mapping 2G/3G/4G mobile signal coverage

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday 15 August 2013 11:24 tony sayer wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I bet John Lewis wouldn't have done that, another good outfit to deal with
and we do because of their excellent customer service....

Oh look - they have a Facebook page with open posting:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Machi...t/161933016613

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Machi...t/161933016613

I've just asked them about it. Let's see how long the post lasts.

FWIW I won't be using them again, and this is coming from someone who will buy tools with only slimmest justification.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday 15 August 2013 13:27 JonT wrote in uk.d-i-y:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Machi...t/161933016613

I've just asked them about it. Let's see how long the post lasts.

FWIW I won't be using them again, and this is coming from someone who
will buy tools with only slimmest justification.

Less than 15 minutes I would guess...

I cannot see your post.

However, you could "like" mine:

https://www.facebook.com/TimJWatts?hc_location=stream

(top post - HTF do you get a link for a single post??)

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday 15 August 2013 13:27 JonT wrote in uk.d-i-y:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Machi...t/161933016613

I've just asked them about it. Let's see how long the post lasts.

FWIW I won't be using them again, and this is coming from someone who
will buy tools with only slimmest justification.

Just posted a very carefully worded question:

"Can you comment on why Machine Mart would allegedly issue a £38 time
limited credit note rather than a cash refund against a complaint of a
faulty product? And then spend an alleged £380 defending that action?

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...-y/TVdgD6GxP2g
"

14:48

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday 15 August 2013 14:51 Tim Watts wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On Thursday 15 August 2013 13:27 JonT wrote in uk.d-i-y:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Machi...t/161933016613

I've just asked them about it. Let's see how long the post lasts.

FWIW I won't be using them again, and this is coming from someone who
will buy tools with only slimmest justification.

Just posted a very carefully worded question:

"Can you comment on why Machine Mart would allegedly issue a £38 time
limited credit note rather than a cash refund against a complaint of a
faulty product? And then spend an alleged £380 defending that action?

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...-y/TVdgD6GxP2g
"

14:48

Gone by 14:52

So they are basically getting someone to sit on the FB page? Must be costing
them...

Fools...

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

Gone by 14:52

So they are basically getting someone to sit on the FB page? Must be
costing
them...

Fools...

Good fun ****ing with them though isn't it

I suspect Mr Carnell is desperately hoping none of this will come to the
attention of the MD or the board who will no doubt take a fairly dim view of
it if they have any business sense at all.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2013 10:30, Dave Baker wrote:

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
They clearly really annoyed the judge with their behaviour so I think
you have the moral victory. I'll be emailing them about the loss of
any of my future business also.

and done.

email to FAO Mr Steve Carnell

"Dear Steve,

I've been following with interest for some months on Usenet in uk-d-i-y
your bizarre antics in refusing to refund Mr Rick Hughes £38 for the
unfit for purpose inspection light he returned to you (for a credit note
which turned out to have an expiration date he didn't know about and
thence became worthless) and your absurd behaviour in actually defending
the case in court for such a trivial amount and trying to claim hundreds
of pounds in costs from him rather than just play the white man.
"Customer service" is apparently a completely alien concept to you and
trying to retain happy customers, and thence hopefully over the years
their friends and associates too, possibly something you maybe once
heard of but wish to take no part in.

In the past I've spent a fair bit with your company on engine building
equipment such as engine stands and a 1 ton engine crane. Not enough of
course on its own to make a scrap of difference to your annual results
one way or the other but small amounts from many customers is what adds up.

You are dear sir an absolute tosser and you and your company can be
assured of no further business from myself or any of my friends and
colleagues I can persuade likewise.

If you had a scrap of decency you'd apologise and refund Mr Hughes his
£38 plus his court costs and he'd no doubt post that in the thread and
you'd regain the support of the many people who've been following the case.

Cordial regards,

David Baker"

be interested in any response to that

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:

On 14/08/2013 23:32, The Other Mike wrote:

The person who attended court and has been dealing with this was
Steve Carnell
After Sales Manager
Machine Mart
211 Lower Parliament Street
Nottingham
NG1 1GN

all we need now is the CEO name and email address

i have also sent an email to mr S Carnell

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 15/08/2013 22:37, Mark wrote:

all we need now is the CEO name and email address

i have also sent an email to mr S Carnell

-

The Managing Director is
Mr Kenneth Albert Stephenson
Machine Mart
211 Lower Parliament Street
Nottingham
NG1 1GN

I thought of writing, pointing out that Mr Carnell is costing him money,
but I wouldn't want to be responsible for possible repercussions. YMMV

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 19:34:08 +0100, Rick Hughes wrote:

be interested in any response to that

I doubt it will get one. I respond to personal abuse by just
discarding what ever else came with it. Pity, it started off quite
well.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 13:15:24 +0100, Rick Hughes
wrote:

However be warned ...
They have no duty of care to explain time limits on a Credit Note.
The can offer a credit note (even when you are entitled to refund) if
you accept it, you accept conditions that go with it.

****ing slippery *******s.
Glad they didn't get their expenses, the ****ers.

Machine Mart have lost all future business from myself, and my family.

Ditto. They can go and **** a pig.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 16:45:17 +0100, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts
wrote:

Or maybe they'd try letters-from-lawyers to us all.

Hah. Bring it on.
I have some especially salty language saved especially for that type
of slug.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 14:22:29 +0000 (UTC), Steve Firth
wrote:

I shall continue to remind people to avoid Machine Mart.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed Northern Tool don't do the dirty on
anyone who posts here, else I'd be **** out of luck.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 13:46:33 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

However, you could "like" mine:

https://www.facebook.com/TimJWatts?hc_location=stream

Shared on my stream.
Also, the 'recommend' box on MM's FB page gives the opportunity to
splash it over other pages as friends see it on yours. With a comment,
of course
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2013 22:37, Mark wrote:
Rick Hughes wrote:

On 14/08/2013 23:32, The Other Mike wrote:

The person who attended court and has been dealing with this was
Steve Carnell
After Sales Manager
Machine Mart
211 Lower Parliament Street
Nottingham
NG1 1GN

all we need now is the CEO name and email address

i have also sent an email to mr S Carnell

-

+1

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

I am about to buy [...]
a pressure washer - probably one of the Nilfisk models

I can recommend this eBay seller instead of Machine Mart

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390640367353

The plastic hose does have a bit of a mind of its own though, I've seen
several people recommend a decent rubber replacement from qwashers

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180880709388

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2013 13:10, The Other Mike wrote:

Mr Kenneth Albert Stephenson (born 69 years ago)
Director, Management Consultant
12 Sep 1996 — Present (16 years, 11 months, 3 days)

Ms Jacqueline Williams (born 48 years ago)
Company Secretary
01 Sep 1997 — Present (15 years, 11 months, 14 days)

Miss Tracey Clarke (born 49 years ago)
Director, Director
24 Mar 2011 — Present (2 years, 4 months, 22 days)

Mr John Alan Clarke (born 70 years ago)
Director, Director
24 Mar 2011 — Present (2 years, 4 months, 22 days)

Mrs Sandra Elaine Clarke (born 70 years ago)
Director, Director
24 Mar 2011 — Present (2 years, 4 months, 22 days)

That would explain why catalogue is full of 'Clarke' brand product
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 14:31:55 +0100, Andrew May wrote:

Interesting. Three Clarkes on the board.

Machine Mart came into existance about 30 years ago, presumably still
family owned.

Wonder if they have anything to do with the Clarke tools that they sell?

It's only a brand name applied mass proudced chinese stuff that you
can buy with other brand names applied in other stores. There might
be minor differences like colour...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Wonder if they have anything to do with the Clarke tools that they sell?

It's only a brand name applied mass proudced chinese stuff that you
can buy with other brand names applied in other stores. There might
be minor differences like colour...

It also tends to be more expensive than others who brand the same goods.
Probably why I've never bought anything from Machine Mart - and after
this, likely never will.

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Machine Mart - ner ner ne ner ner....

Looking for a chain block hoist. MM was the obvious place to look and
they had what I wanted.

The way they treated Rick prompted me to look around & I found one for
less money elsewhere.

Is this the first lost order?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Looking for a chain block hoist. MM was the obvious place to look and
they had what I wanted.

The way they treated Rick prompted me to look around & I found one for
less money elsewhere.

Is this the first lost order?

Why not ask them on their FB page? ;-)

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2013 14:53 Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

You reckon they'll have someone watching it all day Sunday...?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday 17 August 2013 11:03 F wrote in uk.d-i-y:

[...]

Easy way to find out...

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-08-17, The Medway Handyman wrote:
Looking for a chain block hoist. MM was the obvious place to look and
they had what I wanted.

The way they treated Rick prompted me to look around & I found one for
less money elsewhere.

Is this the first lost order?

Possibly. I need(ed) a new battery charger. Did a Google, MM was the
second or third vendor, thought to myself "Not going there". Bought
from eBay. That was about 20 minutes ago.

Methinks there are a few too many of these "credit notes" floating
around.

I haven't used Machine Mart for a few years now, some
of their stuff seems very highly priced for the quality.

http://www.diy-forum.net/re-machine-...786-print.html

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F news@nowhere wrote:
[...]

Odd that because Grimly's "Minus 10 stars" comment is still there.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2013 13:04 Tim+ wrote:

F news@nowhere wrote:
[...]

So it is! If I was registered on Farcebook I'd join in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday 17 August 2013 11:03 F wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 15/08/2013 14:53 Tim Watts wrote:

14:48

Gone by 14:52

So they are basically getting someone to sit on the FB page? Must be
costing them...

Fools...

You reckon they'll have someone watching it all day Sunday...?

Don;t seem to have anyone watching on Saturday!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Machi...t/161933016613

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

On Saturday 17 August 2013 11:03 F wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 15/08/2013 14:53 Tim Watts wrote:

14:48

Gone by 14:52

So they are basically getting someone to sit on the FB page? Must be
costing them...

Fools...

You reckon they'll have someone watching it all day Sunday...?

Don;t seem to have anyone watching on Saturday!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Machi...t/161933016613

Strangely my comment from Thursday afternoon (*) hasn't been removed yet.

This could turn out to be quite fun...

(*) "Can you comment on why Machine Mart would allegedly issue a £38 time
limited credit note rather than a cash refund against a complaint of a
faulty product? And then spend an alleged £380 defending that action?

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/uk.d-i-y/TVdgD6GxP2g"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 13:04:12 +0100, Tim+
wrote:

You reckon they'll have someone watching it all day Sunday...?

Odd that because Grimly's "Minus 10 stars" comment is still there.

As are the subsequent negs. I think somebody's woken up and realised
the Streisand Effect is a very real possibility here.
Who knows, perhaps an apology and some restitution might be
forthcoming - certainly, any manager with any sense will take steps to
rectify this public relations disaster.
You can bet their competitors will be reading some of this/that and
laughing their socks off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday 17 August 2013 17:51 Huge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Machi...t/161933016613

If I understand FB correctly, they seem to have closed comments.

Seems to be still open - are you logged in?

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday 17 August 2013 17:56 Tim Watts wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On Saturday 17 August 2013 17:51 Huge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Machi...t/161933016613

If I understand FB correctly, they seem to have closed comments.

Seems to be still open - are you logged in?

Posts deleted, recommendations gone...

Someone is wasting a *lot* of time...

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2013 20:50, Tim Watts wrote:
On Saturday 17 August 2013 17:56 Tim Watts wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On Saturday 17 August 2013 17:51 Huge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Machi...t/161933016613

If I understand FB correctly, they seem to have closed comments.

Seems to be still open - are you logged in?

Posts deleted, recommendations gone...

Someone is wasting a *lot* of time...

So the more we comment, the more time they waste? :-)