Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Machine Mart workbenches - anygood?

Want to get a work bench for my garage now that it no longer houses a car

Does anyone have any opinion on the work benches from MachineMart such as

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=040310025

Is it flimsy metal or any good?

Any other reomendations?

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob Horton wrote:
Want to get a work bench for my garage now that it no longer houses a
car

Does anyone have any opinion on the work benches from MachineMart
such as

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=040310025

Is it flimsy metal or any good?

Any other reomendations?

Thanks.

That does look flimsey to me and a helluva price for it.
My workbench is an office desk,the type that has a square metal tubing
frame with solid wood draw and table top,bought for 15GBP in an auction
room.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 16:50:13 +0100, Rob Horton wrote:

|Want to get a work bench for my garage now that it no longer houses a car
|
|Does anyone have any opinion on the work benches from MachineMart such as
|
|http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=040310025
|
|Is it flimsy metal or any good?
|
|Any other reomendations?

I got a flat pack wooden bench from B&Q for about GBP30, a bit flimsy as it
was designed. Screwed and *glued* it together, then screwed and *glued* old
plywood to the sides and back, added a bit of ply to the top, a couple of
doors on the front, and it is now very strong.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

That does look flimsey to me and a helluva price for it.
My workbench is an office desk,the type that has a square metal tubing
frame with solid wood draw and table top,bought for 15GBP in an
auction room.

This is the type on ebay
http://tinyurl.co.uk/s49j

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

That does look flimsey to me and a helluva price for it.
My workbench is an office desk,the type that has a square metal tubing
frame with solid wood draw and table top,bought for 15GBP in an
auction room.

This is the type on ebay
http://tinyurl.co.uk/s49j

One of them would be way too short in height for me, it would do my back
in in no time. My bench is 955mm off the floor, sized by me holding a
plane at a good height and getting the eldest to measure from floor to
plane sole. I can plane hard all day and not feel my back at all (I did
pull my left biceps insertion a couple of months back though).

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Ashby wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

That does look flimsey to me and a helluva price for it.
My workbench is an office desk,the type that has a square metal
tubing frame with solid wood draw and table top,bought for 15GBP in
an auction room.

This is the type on ebay
http://tinyurl.co.uk/s49j

One of them would be way too short in height for me, it would do my
back in in no time. My bench is 955mm off the floor, sized by me
holding a plane at a good height and getting the eldest to measure
from floor to plane sole. I can plane hard all day and not feel my
back at all (I did pull my left biceps insertion a couple of months
back though).

Peter

Swings and Roundabouts for each individual. :-)

However a bit of ingenuity will bring the height to the desired comfortable
working level.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 16:50:13 +0100, Rob Horton wrote:

Any other reomendations?

Sign up to your local freecycle list( www.freecycle.org ), and pick up a
table off there. I grabbed a old kitchen table.

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 16:50:13 +0100, Rob Horton wrote:

Any other recommendations?

Sign up to your local freecycle list( www.freecycle.org ), and pick up a
table off there. I grabbed a old kitchen table.

Here's my recommendation:

Bloody hell, if you have the nouse, a load of 3 x 2 will soon square up
to a perfect fit and a piece of ply on top would be ideal for a DIYer
worth his salt. The tons of stuff that goes to infill from office
refurbs daily, is astonishing. Any of it would be perfectly adequate
for workbenches.

As for Machine Mart I have a long list of tat at inflated prices that I
have had to take back. I might be tempted to list them once I get my
money back tomorrow for that awful door hinge jig I bought a week or so
back.

Never go there again if you have any pride.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:

Steve wrote:
On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 16:50:13 +0100, Rob Horton wrote:

Any other recommendations?

Sign up to your local freecycle list( www.freecycle.org ), and pick up a
table off there. I grabbed a old kitchen table.

Here's my recommendation:

Bloody hell, if you have the nouse, a load of 3 x 2 will soon square up
to a perfect fit and a piece of ply on top would be ideal for a DIYer
worth his salt. The tons of stuff that goes to infill from office
refurbs daily, is astonishing. Any of it would be perfectly adequate
for workbenches.

That is sort of me. Underframe is made from softwood 3X2s laminated for
extra strength. top is one piece of 18mm MDF between two pieces of 18mm
WBP ply. Underframe build using hand tools and a workmate (solid no
frills Wickes job). top was built up on the frame. The whole thing is
now rock solid stable with the insertion of a ply underbench cupboard
that fits so snugly between the legs it took two of us several attempts
to get it square enough to slide home.

Eventually I'll use it to build a hardwood bench but only for vanity
reasons, the one I have is perfectly adequate.

Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y
6 6 is offline

"Rob Horton" wrote in message
Want to get a work bench for my garage now that it no longer houses a car

Does anyone have any opinion on the work benches from MachineMart such as

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=040310025

Is it flimsy metal or any good?

Any other reomendations?

Local scaffolding yard.
4 suitable length boards.
4 short tubes for legs

DIY Store or wood merchant
3" X 3" to screw and glue to the underside of the scaff boards for support.
5" in from each board end so you can bolt through for the leg poles
Rawlbolts to mount 3" x 3" to wall across back of board nearest wall.

Drill holes same size as scaff poles in ends of boards alongside the 3 X 3
and mount through the 3 x 3 bolting in place with suitable bolts and nuts
the poles

Jobs a good un.

Top it off with a nice rubber mat and you're away

sewing machinery sedatkzyk UK diy 0 March 21st 06 12:54 PM
sewing machinery sedatkzyk UK diy 0 March 21st 06 12:53 PM
Clarke (i.e. Machine Mart) stoves - any good? [email protected] UK diy 4 August 2nd 05 01:40 PM
Be careful when dealing with Machine Manual Services Kory Hamzeh Metalworking 8 November 15th 03 04:21 PM
Zanussi washing machine - blown program selector Mat UK diy 1 July 9th 03 01:09 AM