Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Blood stains

My apologies if laundry problems don't come under DIY, but how does one
get bloodstains out of cotton fabric? Unfortunately the item has been
laundered at 60 Celsius, so it's well and truly cooked.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 16:11:11 +0000, Frederick Williams wrote:

My apologies if laundry problems don't come under DIY, but how does one
get bloodstains out of cotton fabric? Unfortunately the item has been
laundered at 60 Celsius, so it's well and truly cooked.

'Vanish' worked for me, used as directed on the product. YMMV.

TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 19 March 2013 16:21 The Other John wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 16:11:11 +0000, Frederick Williams wrote:

My apologies if laundry problems don't come under DIY, but how does one
get bloodstains out of cotton fabric? Unfortunately the item has been
laundered at 60 Celsius, so it's well and truly cooked.

'Vanish' worked for me, used as directed on the product. YMMV.

TOJ.

If it's residual iron staining, oxalic acid is the usual stuff (or in olden
times, rubbing a rhubarb leaf in before washing).

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Frederick Williams
writes

My apologies if laundry problems don't come under DIY, but how does one
get bloodstains out of cotton fabric? Unfortunately the item has been
laundered at 60 Celsius, so it's well and truly cooked.

You'll never get it all out now, but Stain Devil rust remover might be
worth a try.

Next time, rinse in COLD water with liquid hand soap to get the stain
out, then wash as normal.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2013 16:27, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , Frederick Williams
writes

My apologies if laundry problems don't come under DIY, but how does one
get bloodstains out of cotton fabric? Unfortunately the item has been
laundered at 60 Celsius, so it's well and truly cooked.

You'll never get it all out now, but Stain Devil rust remover might be
worth a try.

Next time, rinse in COLD water with liquid hand soap to get the stain
out, then wash as normal.

For next time, soaking in cold salt water will take the blood out before
washing.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Frederick Williams" wrote in message
My apologies if laundry problems don't come under DIY, but how does one
get bloodstains out of cotton fabric? Unfortunately the item has been
laundered at 60 Celsius, so it's well and truly cooked.

Too late now, you've baked all that DNA evidence into the clothes.... your
goin daaaahhn you slaaaaaag

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, March 19, 2013 4:11:11 PM UTC, Frederick Williams wrote:
My apologies if laundry problems don't come under DIY, but how does one
get bloodstains out of cotton fabric? Unfortunately the item has been
laundered at 60 Celsius, so it's well and truly cooked.

Try a 4 day soak in a bucket with bio washing powder

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2013 16:11, Frederick Williams wrote:
My apologies if laundry problems don't come under DIY, but how does one
get bloodstains out of cotton fabric? Unfortunately the item has been
laundered at 60 Celsius, so it's well and truly cooked.

You now have a black pudding stain :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Other John wrote:

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 16:11:11 +0000, Frederick Williams wrote:

My apologies if laundry problems don't come under DIY, but how does one
get bloodstains out of cotton fabric? Unfortunately the item has been
laundered at 60 Celsius, so it's well and truly cooked.

'Vanish' worked for me, used as directed on the product. YMMV.

I have used something called 'Vanish Oxi Action Crystal white' which
contains 30% of Sodium Carbonate Peroxyhydrate. I used that as
directed and then cooked^W laundered the item. It had little effect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:

In article , Frederick Williams
writes

My apologies if laundry problems don't come under DIY, but how does one
get bloodstains out of cotton fabric? Unfortunately the item has been
laundered at 60 Celsius, so it's well and truly cooked.

You'll never get it all out now, but Stain Devil rust remover might be
worth a try.

I'll look out for it when next I'm shopping.

Next time, rinse in COLD water with liquid hand soap to get the stain
out, then wash as normal.

Ah, next time! Why didn't you tell me beforehand? :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Tomlinson writes:
In article , Frederick Williams
writes

My apologies if laundry problems don't come under DIY, but how does one
get bloodstains out of cotton fabric? Unfortunately the item has been
laundered at 60 Celsius, so it's well and truly cooked.

You'll never get it all out now, but Stain Devil rust remover might be
worth a try.

What's left is the iron (probably in the form of rust now) from
the hemoglobin in the blood, so anything that can get rust out
is likely to work. Oxalic acid is a well know rust dissolver,
but I would test it first on some inconspicuous area, in case
it does something nasty to the fabric or dyes.

Next time, rinse in COLD water with liquid hand soap to get the stain
out, then wash as normal.

I have sometimes smeared some liquid soap on the stain before
putting it in the wash, on the basis that the cold fill and
the soap will work on it before the wash gets too hot. However,
the longer the stain has been there, the longer it will need
to soak, so that probably only works if it's still reasonably
red.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/19/2013 6:02 PM, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I have sometimes smeared some liquid soap on the stain before
putting it in the wash, on the basis that the cold fill and
the soap will work on it before the wash gets too hot. However,
the longer the stain has been there, the longer it will need
to soak, so that probably only works if it's still reasonably
red.

For fresh bloodstains, hydrogen peroxide works well (but check first on
a hidden part). After the fizzing stops, rinse with cold water, followed
by rubbing with plain bar soap (not detergent).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Frederick Williams
escribió:

Ah, next time! Why didn't you tell me beforehand? :-)

I'd assumed you were a serial killer, so there would be a next time :-)

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Andrew Gabriel
escribió:

What's left is the iron (probably in the form of rust now) from
the hemoglobin in the blood, so anything that can get rust out
is likely to work.

That was my line of thinking, yes, though as you say it might bleach the
cloth.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frederick Williams wrote:

My apologies if laundry problems don't come under DIY, but how does one
get bloodstains out of cotton fabric? Unfortunately the item has been
laundered at 60 Celsius, so it's well and truly cooked.

http://www.bio-tex.co.uk/products

An excellent product. It used to be readily available at
supermarkets, but I had to get a batch by mail order.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...eywords=biotex

However, checking again today, it does seem to be listed:

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/#/tes...wder_500g.html

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My apologies if laundry problems don't come under DIY, but how does one
get bloodstains out of cotton fabric? Unfortunately the item has been
laundered at 60 Celsius, so it's well and truly cooked.

Angle grinder.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Frederick Williams
writes
The Other John wrote:

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 16:11:11 +0000, Frederick Williams wrote:

My apologies if laundry problems don't come under DIY, but how does one
get bloodstains out of cotton fabric? Unfortunately the item has been
laundered at 60 Celsius, so it's well and truly cooked.

'Vanish' worked for me, used as directed on the product. YMMV.

I have used something called 'Vanish Oxi Action Crystal white' which
contains 30% of Sodium Carbonate Peroxyhydrate. I used that as
directed and then cooked^W laundered the item. It had little effect.

Watching my wife dispense various chemicals into our washing machine
(for my underwear), I asked the question.

She said *soak blood stains in milk*. What impact this may have post
washing is unknown.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:

Frederick Williams wrote:

My apologies if laundry problems don't come under DIY, but how does one
get bloodstains out of cotton fabric? Unfortunately the item has been
laundered at 60 Celsius, so it's well and truly cooked.

http://www.bio-tex.co.uk/products

An excellent product. It used to be readily available at
supermarkets, but I had to get a batch by mail order.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...eywords=biotex

However, checking again today, it does seem to be listed:

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/#/tes...wder_500g.html

I will look out for it next time I'm in a market of the kind super.
Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My apologies if laundry problems don't come under DIY, but how does one
get bloodstains out of cotton fabric? Unfortunately the item has been
laundered at 60 Celsius, so it's well and truly cooked.

Angle grinder.

Unfortunately my pyjama trousers are now torn to shreds and the shreds
are blood stained still.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Frederick Williams
writes

Unfortunately my pyjama trousers are now torn to shreds and the shreds
are blood stained still.

You're meant to take them off before using the angle grinder.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , Frederick Williams
writes

Unfortunately my pyjama trousers are now torn to shreds and the
shreds are blood stained still.

You're meant to take them off before using the angle grinder.

Does anyone - other than kids - wear pyjamas?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , ARW adamwadsworth@blueyond
er.co.uk escribió:

Does anyone - other than kids - wear pyjamas?

I don't. Sleep bollocko.

Don't wear underpants either.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , ARW
adamwadsworth@blueyond er.co.uk escribió:

Does anyone - other than kids - wear pyjamas?

I don't. Sleep bollocko.

Don't wear underpants either.

And I guess that I am the only poster that does not wear clothes when at
home.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" writes:

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , ARW
adamwadsworth@blueyond er.co.uk escribió:

Does anyone - other than kids - wear pyjamas?

I don't. Sleep bollocko.

Don't wear underpants either.

And I guess that I am the only poster that does not wear clothes when at
home.

In winter? Yes.

Summer is a different matter entirely. Do slippers count as clothes?

--
Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)

Blood all over maple. Joe Woodworking 1 May 16th 12 03:31 AM
Blood Tim W[_3_] Woodworking 10 August 12th 11 09:45 PM
Blood Stains on Vinyl Flooring [email protected] Home Repair 3 September 23rd 06 05:31 AM
Sweat and blood John B Woodworking 3 July 5th 06 12:33 AM
Blood, money, whatever you can... Mark & Juanita Woodworking 9 September 5th 05 02:31 AM