Mark & Juanita

Default Blood, money, whatever you can...

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 01:48:14 GMT, Ba r r y
wrote:

As the scam sites pop up, remember an original:

http://www.redcross.org/

As we sit and swap info on the 'net, some will have nothing left to go
home to.

Since the news is mainly focusing on New Orleans, I didn't realize
just how large of an area the storm hit until I looked at DUATS (a
pilot thing) for the NO area. Damn... This is BIG.

That it is. While NO is flooded, at least most of its buildings are
standing. Many houses in Biloxi, MS are not -- complete devastation.

Frank Boettcher

wrote:

As the scam sites pop up, remember an original:

http://www.redcross.org/

As we sit and swap info on the 'net, some will have nothing left to go
home to.

Since the news is mainly focusing on New Orleans, I didn't realize
just how large of an area the storm hit until I looked at DUATS (a
pilot thing) for the NO area. Damn... This is BIG.

That it is. While NO is flooded, at least most of its buildings are
standing. Many houses in Biloxi, MS are not -- complete devastation.

And Gulfport (where I grew up), Long Beach, Pass Christian, Bay St.
Louis, and Waveland. There is no more Bay St. Louis or Waveland.
loutent

In article , Ba r r y
wrote:

As the scam sites pop up, remember an original:

http://www.redcross.org/

As we sit and swap info on the 'net, some will have nothing left to go
home to.

Since the news is mainly focusing on New Orleans, I didn't realize
just how large of an area the storm hit until I looked at DUATS (a
pilot thing) for the NO area. Damn... This is BIG.

Amazon makes it easy to donate to the Red Cross with
one click - "safe" and quick.

Lou
Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 09:36:46 -0400, loutent wrote:

In article , Ba r r y
wrote:

As the scam sites pop up, remember an original:

http://www.redcross.org/

As we sit and swap info on the 'net, some will have nothing left to go
home to.

Since the news is mainly focusing on New Orleans, I didn't realize
just how large of an area the storm hit until I looked at DUATS (a
pilot thing) for the NO area. Damn... This is BIG.

Amazon makes it easy to donate to the Red Cross with
one click - "safe" and quick.

Lou

It's also worth checking whether where you work or any organizations to
which you belong are offering matching contributions. It's a good way to
leverage what you are giving into something even larger.

wrote:

As the scam sites pop up, remember an original:

http://www.redcross.org/

As we sit and swap info on the 'net, some will have nothing left to go
home to.

Since the news is mainly focusing on New Orleans, I didn't realize
just how large of an area the storm hit until I looked at DUATS (a
pilot thing) for the NO area. Damn... This is BIG.

That it is. While NO is flooded, at least most of its buildings are
standing. Many houses in Biloxi, MS are not -- complete devastation.

NO was mostly spared from the storm surge itself. The levies
failed after it had passed. Remember Monday evening when all
the talking heads were saying it could have been a lot worse.
By Tuesday evening it had gotten a lot worse.

--

FF

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 09:36:46 -0400, the blithe spirit loutent
clearly indicated:

In article , Ba r r y
wrote:

As the scam sites pop up, remember an original:

http://www.redcross.org/

As we sit and swap info on the 'net, some will have nothing left to go
home to.

Since the news is mainly focusing on New Orleans, I didn't realize
just how large of an area the storm hit until I looked at DUATS (a
pilot thing) for the NO area. Damn... This is BIG.

Amazon makes it easy to donate to the Red Cross with
one click - "safe" and quick.

Why not donate to some org who doesn't pay its execs half a million a
year? Give to the Salvation Army instead. More of the dollars find
their way into the needy's hands.

..-.
Life is short. Eat dessert first!
---
loutent

wrote:

As the scam sites pop up, remember an original:

http://www.redcross.org/

As we sit and swap info on the 'net, some will have nothing left to go
home to.

Since the news is mainly focusing on New Orleans, I didn't realize
just how large of an area the storm hit until I looked at DUATS (a
pilot thing) for the NO area. Damn... This is BIG.

Amazon makes it easy to donate to the Red Cross with
one click - "safe" and quick.

Why not donate to some org who doesn't pay its execs half a million a
year? Give to the Salvation Army instead. More of the dollars find
their way into the needy's hands.

I have to agree with you here Larry. Salvation Army is our
#1 choice for charity. Because of the circumstance and
immediate need, we opted for the RC this time ...hope it
helps in some way...

Lou
Jane & David

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 09:36:46 -0400, the blithe spirit loutent
clearly indicated:

Amazon makes it easy to donate to the Red Cross with
one click - "safe" and quick.

Why not donate to some org who doesn't pay its execs half a million a
year? Give to the Salvation Army instead. More of the dollars find
their way into the needy's hands.

I absolutely agree, Larry. Plus there's another reason to consider
giving to the Salvation Army first for my family. When we were about to
be flooded out, only the Salvation Army workers were right down in it
all, willing to get dirty in order to help in any way they saw
necessary. This is not the time to run down other agencies, but although
others were around, it was only the SA in there with us.

My opinion about the SA has little to do with religion. In fact as an
agnostic, I support them in spite of their religion. Donating to them, I
just know a more of my money is going to be used to actually help people.

PDX David
Larry Bud

Why not donate to some org who doesn't pay its execs half a million a
year? Give to the Salvation Army instead. More of the dollars find
their way into the needy's hands.

Do you have stats for that?

Whatever the execs get paid, the bottom line is that counts: What % of
your dollars get to the people in need.

Go to

http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...orgid/3277.htm

To see stats on charities... Unfortunately, because the Salvation Army
is a religious institution, they don't have the numbers for them.

no(SPAM)vasys

Larry Bud wrote:
Why not donate to some org who doesn't pay its execs half a million a
year? Give to the Salvation Army instead. More of the dollars find
their way into the needy's hands.

Do you have stats for that?

Whatever the execs get paid, the bottom line is that counts: What % of
your dollars get to the people in need.

Go to

http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...orgid/3277.htm

To see stats on charities... Unfortunately, because the Salvation Army
is a religious institution, they don't have the numbers for them.

See:

http://www.christianpost.com/article/society/1796/section/salvation.army.receives.$10.million.grant.for.hurr icane.katrina.relief/1.htm

Check the last sentence on the page.

--