Junior Member

Default Removing chuck on B&Q Performance Power NLH1050HD hammer drill

Hi
I have knarled up my chuck and have a new one of a different make to fit but I can't get the old one off. I am told it is a left hand thread on the chuck and I know how to use a lever in the chuck. There is meant to be a screw inside the chuck but if there was it is now all chewed up possibly by a loose masonary bit. I will probably have to drill the head off the screw before I can use the lever method. Has anyone done that and what type and size of screw would I need to replace it? Is it a right hand thread and if it is where do I get one?
Hope someone can check their own drill of this type
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterPan wrote:
Hi
I have knarled up my chuck and have a new one of a different make to fit
but I can't get the old one off. I am told it is a left hand thread on
the chuck and I know how to use a lever in the chuck. There is meant to
be a screw inside the chuck but if there was it is now all chewed up
possibly by a loose masonary bit. I will probably have to drill the
head off the screw before I can use the lever method. Has anyone done
that and what type and size of screw would I need to replace it? Is it
a right hand thread and if it is where do I get one?
Hope someone can check their own drill of this type

No idea about that particular drill but on our old drills I used to put the
chuck key in and wallop it with something solid to spin the chuck In the
normal direction of rotation.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterPan wrote:

Has anyone done
that and what type and size of screw would I need to replace it? Is it
a right hand thread and if it is where do I get one?

When you've drilled the head[1] of the machine screw off you'll be able
to retrieve the remains of it to identify.

[1] To save trying to drill one drill with another, how about mounting
the bit in the vice and then running the drill while pushing the machine
screw against it? ie keep the drill bit steady and spin the machine screw!

Scott
Junior Member

Hi Tim
The problem is using a 9" lever in the chuck just makes it tighter because I cant remove the central screw which I assume has the opposite thread
Pete
No idea about that particular drill but on our old drills I used to put the
chuck key in and wallop it with something solid to spin the chuck In the
normal direction of rotation.

Tim[/quote]
Junior Member

I tried drilling the retaining screw out but it broke three drill bits but couldn't tell if I had the whole head off - I hadn't... In the end I used a 24" stillson which stripped the thread off 10mm of the end of the screw. Have re-tapped the motor stub using the cut down screw and have successfully fitted the new chuck. The screw is as expected the opposite to usual thread so I couldn't use my tap and die set!
For the record the new screw that came with the chuck is a phillips countersunk head.