Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Good ideas from overseas (OT bit of fun)

I have wondered if it is possible to link the upward and the downward
escalator to reduce the power by counterbalancing the loads.

Old idea!

http://www.leasliftfolkestone.co.uk/...=functionality

(this is not the only one of its kind)

Yes - the Victorians were sensible about balancing the loads. Where I
worked there was a Paternoster Elevator which was very effective (though
intimidating for the new employees). My point was only about escalators.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Been in a Paris multi-storey supermarket with escalators which take
your shopping trolley up and down too. It looked very old though.

A couple of supermarkets locally (Tesco in Leicester, Asda in
Nottingham) have fitted a mezzanine floor with a shallow sloping
escalator that takes trolleys, some form of magnetic lock in the wheel
stops them rolling backwards.

Not magnetic. The trolleys have narrow tires that slip down between grooves
in the tread plates to allow serations on the bottom of the axles to engage
with similar serrations on the tread plates. Look at the tires on your next
visit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2013 07:50, Andy Burns wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Been in a Paris multi-storey supermarket with escalators which take
your shopping trolley up and down too. It looked very old though.

A couple of supermarkets locally (Tesco in Leicester, Asda in
Nottingham) have fitted a mezzanine floor with a shallow sloping
escalator that takes trolleys, some form of magnetic lock in the wheel
stops them rolling backwards.

They don't need a magnetic lock.
They just have wheels where the rotating bit drops into the slots and
the none rotating bit then rests on the ridges, simples.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Been in a Paris multi-storey supermarket with escalators which take
your shopping trolley up and down too. It looked very old though.

A couple of supermarkets locally (Tesco in Leicester, Asda in
Nottingham) have fitted a mezzanine floor with a shallow sloping
escalator that takes trolleys, some form of magnetic lock in the wheel
stops them rolling backwards.

The one I've seen is a parallel escalator which runs next to the
pedestrian one. It has claws which grip the bottom framework,
and the trolly runs in tracks on it's own wheels, AFAICR, but
is held horizontally.
It goes slightly slower than the pedstrian escalator, so you can
push your trolley in, and then just about beat it getting to the
other end so you can pull it out.
I remember thinking that I couldn't imagine this getting past UK
H&S...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 40,
DerbyBorn writes:
Just back from a holiday and whilst there I refelcted on a few differences
seen there and other places (not really DIY) and wondered if others had
thought of similar things. Examples:

Bulgaria - Traffic Lights with an illuminated count-down in red or green
to the next change.

Dublin - Traffic lights with ped crossing countdowns - that are made of
stainless steel and don't look as though they were made in the 1950's (like
ours)

I think a lot could be improved about our traffic lights, although
I can't get excited about countdowns.

Many years ago, I was trying to explain our traffic signals to a
visitor from the US, and I hadn't realised how complex they are
until that moment, because I take them for granted.

The concept of filters, and also the concept that a green light
doesn't mean your path is free across the junction (e.g. when
turning right across oncoming traffic). This made me contrast the
UK and US signals, and I decided theirs are much clearer and less
ambiguous. I really like their flashing red and flashing amber
signals which many signals revert to out of busy hours, something I
ponder when I'm sitting at a red light for ages in the UK and
there's no other traffic within half a mile of the junction at 1am.
Direction arrows on red and amber too, rather than just green,
would seem to be clearer for those not so used to our system.

Way back when I worked for GEC, UK traffic signals all dimmed at
night to avoid glare. Over the last 10 years or so, I'm seeing
many new ones which clearly don't do this. This seems like a
backwards step - maybe it was an extra-cost option councils have
decided not to pay for?

Also seeing increasing use of lights which all park on red when
they see a gap in the traffic, so traffic on a main road is forced
to almost stop, before the lights go green and let it through
(Reading has several new sets like this). Really buggers up my fuel
economy ratings, even when driving through at night with empty roads.
Don't know if this is deliberate, or just badly programmed system.
If they'd put the inductive pickup far enough in advance, the lights
could have changed to green by the time you got there if you were
within the speed limit, but no, they don't do that because the first
loop is too near the junction.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2013 15:24, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article 40,
DerbyBorn writes:
[...]

One of the bugbears about traffic lights is precisely the positioning of
the inductive loops. Many were placed before "they" decided to have the
bicycle reserved bits. Now, they are out of optimum position by the
length of the cyclists' box. There is one near here at which you
regularly see traffic building up because the car at front of queue is a
very small distance short and so are not registered.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2013 16:14, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 07 Feb 2013 15:24:54 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Also seeing increasing use of lights which all park on red when they see
a gap in the traffic, so traffic on a main road is forced to almost
stop, before the lights go green and let it through (Reading has several
new sets like this). Really buggers up my fuel economy ratings, even
when driving through at night with empty roads. Don't know if this is
deliberate, or just badly programmed system. If they'd put the inductive
pickup far enough in advance, the lights could have changed to green by
the time you got there if you were within the speed limit, but no, they
don't do that because the first loop is too near the junction.

I'd bet it's deliberate. Remember - discouraging car use is saving the
planet.

One US feature which we'll never see here, is the turn-right-on-red
system. Not appropriate everywhere (as indeed in the US, where there are
clear signs where it's not allowed). But it could help ease traffic.

Ironically we have almost the exact opposite of that at one local junction!

Simple crossroads - one road much more important than the other. Used to
allow you to turn right from the main road in either direction - simply
being careful. Now you cannot - there is a blocking filter which is red
when straight ahead is green (or when lesser road lights are green).

Trouble is, the lights were originally designed and set up for the old
system. And they are now badly placed/designed for the new system. So
many people turn right when filter is red. I have seen some very close
calls recently.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
18.140...

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Been in a Paris multi-storey supermarket with escalators which take
your shopping trolley up and down too. It looked very old though.

A couple of supermarkets locally (Tesco in Leicester, Asda in
Nottingham) have fitted a mezzanine floor with a shallow sloping
escalator that takes trolleys, some form of magnetic lock in the wheel
stops them rolling backwards.

Not magnetic. The trolleys have narrow tires that slip down between
grooves
in the tread plates to allow serations on the bottom of the axles to
engage
with similar serrations on the tread plates. Look at the tires on your
next visit.

Yeah, that’s the way ours work. Works quite adequately.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2013 23:23, DerbyBorn wrote:
charles wrote in
:

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, February 5, 2013 3:27:09 PM UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
Just back from a holiday and whilst there I refelcted on a few
differences

seen there and other places (not really DIY) and wondered if others
had

thought of similar things. Examples:

Bulgaria - Traffic Lights with an illuminated count-down in red or
green

to the next change.

Dublin - Traffic lights with ped crossing countdowns - that are
made of

stainless steel and don't look as though they were made in the
1950's (like

ours)

Lanzarote - In our villa - door frame with integral rubber seal to
prevent

banging - well engineered door and frame with stainless steel
hinges.

any others? Comments?

Esculators at tube stations only coming on when people were using
them.
Think it was a light sensor triggered as you apporach the stairs.
Stockholm 1985.

seen in Hamburg 1979.

I have wondered if it is possible to link the upward and the downward
escalator to reduce the power by counterbalancing the loads.

Probably no need. I presume that the control systems of modern
escalators generate back into the mains when braking a descending load -
I don't know if they do, but I'd be suprised if they don't.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

They don't brake a descending load.

I don't know if they do, but I'd be suprised if they don't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2013 15:56, Martin Brown wrote:
On 05/02/2013 15:27, DerbyBorn wrote:

Japan: Combined wash basin and cistern on toilet

I thought that was a great idea in Japan. We have a house built in the
late 50's. The bog is a small room at the top of the stairs, no washhand
basin, and too narrow to fit one.

When I reorganised the bathroom recently, I put a WC in there too, and
looked for a way to get a wash basin in the small loo. Remembering the
system seen in japan when I was there years ago, I thought it mught be
possible. No success, however!

Does anyone have a solution for this problem, other that washing in the
bathroom or kitchen?

Al.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Alan (BigAl)" writes:
On 05/02/2013 15:56, Martin Brown wrote:
On 05/02/2013 15:27, DerbyBorn wrote:

Japan: Combined wash basin and cistern on toilet

I thought that was a great idea in Japan. We have a house built in the
late 50's. The bog is a small room at the top of the stairs, no washhand
basin, and too narrow to fit one.

When I reorganised the bathroom recently, I put a WC in there too, and
looked for a way to get a wash basin in the small loo. Remembering the
system seen in japan when I was there years ago, I thought it mught be
possible. No success, however!

Does anyone have a solution for this problem, other that washing in the
bathroom or kitchen?

Aston Matthews (Plumbers merchant, Essex Road, London) used to have a
a urinal in the window with a wash-hand basin on the top, the waste
from which ran into the urinal to flush it.

I mentioned it here many years back when I saw it, and someone replied
"why would you need the urinal if you have a wash basin?"...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2013 22:00, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Alan (BigAl)" writes:
On 05/02/2013 15:56, Martin Brown wrote:
On 05/02/2013 15:27, DerbyBorn wrote:

Japan: Combined wash basin and cistern on toilet

I mentioned it here many years back when I saw it, and someone replied
"why would you need the urinal if you have a wash basin?"...

I appreciate the sentiment, but the solids are tricky to fit down the
plug'ole.

As you mention the concept is water conserving too, as the water is used
to flush the pan after rinsing the hands.

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alan (BigAl)" writes:
On 05/02/2013 15:56, Martin Brown wrote:
On 05/02/2013 15:27, DerbyBorn wrote:

Japan: Combined wash basin and cistern on toilet

I mentioned it here many years back when I saw it, and someone replied
"why would you need the urinal if you have a wash basin?"...

I appreciate the sentiment, but the solids are tricky to fit down the
plug'ole.

As you mention the concept is water conserving too, as the water is used
to flush the pan after rinsing the hands.

Al

But if not used very regularly, you end up with dirty soapy water stored
in a cistern. Doesn't really sound very hygienic.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article 40,
DerbyBorn wrote:
Bulgaria - Traffic Lights with an illuminated count-down in red or
green to the next change.

That would simply encourage jumping the lights - even more.

Dublin - Traffic lights with ped crossing countdowns - that are made of
stainless steel and don't look as though they were made in the 1950's
(like ours)

We have some with pedestrian countdowns round here.

Does it encourage pedestrians to jump the lights

It didn't seem to in Spain,

You can see if you have to hurry up (so you do), and you can see that you
only have to wait 10 seconds, so you wait.

And the sort of person who jumps the lights when it says 59 seconds is going
to jump the lights without the countdown, so it's no worse there either

YMMV

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Feb 5, 3:27 pm, DerbyBorn wrote:
Just back from a holiday and whilst there I refelcted on a few
differences
seen there and other places (not really DIY) and wondered if others had
thought of similar things. Examples:

Bulgaria - Traffic Lights with an illuminated count-down in red or green
to the next change.

Dublin - Traffic lights with ped crossing countdowns - that are made of
stainless steel and don't look as though they were made in the 1950's
(like
ours)

Lanzarote - In our villa - door frame with integral rubber seal to
prevent
banging - well engineered door and frame with stainless steel hinges.

any others? Comments?

USA Push button flushes on urinals. (Save a lot of water)

instead of what:

the "timed" system usually used in the UK

or the sensor system that flushes whenever someone uses it?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Reentrant" wrote in message
On 05/02/2013 15:27, DerbyBorn wrote:
Just back from a holiday and whilst there I refelcted on a few
differences
seen there and other places (not really DIY) and wondered if others had
thought of similar things. Examples:

Bulgaria - Traffic Lights with an illuminated count-down in red or green
to the next change.

Dublin - Traffic lights with ped crossing countdowns - that are made of
stainless steel and don't look as though they were made in the 1950's
(like
ours)

Lanzarote - In our villa - door frame with integral rubber seal to
prevent
banging - well engineered door and frame with stainless steel hinges.

any others? Comments?

Those of a sensitive nature please skip to the next thread ...
.
.
.
.
.

We've been to several countries where the sewage system can't cope with
toilet paper, and you are required (!) to put used sheets in a waste-paper
basket next to the bog.

But at least in Turkey there's a little water-pipe by the seat that lets
you wash your arsehole first

That's because it's a Muslim country.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2013 22:38, polygonum wrote:

But if not used very regularly, you end up with dirty soapy water stored
in a cistern. Doesn't really sound very hygienic.

I was not advocating the idea. I started by asking if anyone had an
alternative (better) idea for a small lavatory.
The Japanese idea has problems, of course! Having to lean over the pan
to get to basin is not too bad for me, but for the little kids it would
be difficult.

This is what it looks like.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4088/...02d7d050b1.jpg

Al.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tim.....
writes

DerbyBorn wrote:
Bulgaria - Traffic Lights with an illuminated count-down in red or
green to the next change.

That would simply encourage jumping the lights - even more.

Dublin - Traffic lights with ped crossing countdowns - that are made of
stainless steel and don't look as though they were made in the 1950's
(like ours)

We have some with pedestrian countdowns round here.

Does it encourage pedestrians to jump the lights

It didn't seem to in Spain,

Was that a SoH breakdown ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alan (BigAl)" writes:
On 05/02/2013 15:56, Martin Brown wrote:
On 05/02/2013 15:27, DerbyBorn wrote:

Japan: Combined wash basin and cistern on toilet

I mentioned it here many years back when I saw it, and someone replied
"why would you need the urinal if you have a wash basin?"...

I appreciate the sentiment, but the solids are tricky to fit down the
plug'ole.

If you suitably adjust your diet the "solids" needn't be entirely
solid. :-)

--
Frank

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alan (BigAl)" wrote in message
On 05/02/2013 15:56, Martin Brown wrote:
On 05/02/2013 15:27, DerbyBorn wrote:

Japan: Combined wash basin and cistern on toilet

I thought that was a great idea in Japan. We have a house built in the
late 50's. The bog is a small room at the top of the stairs, no washhand
basin, and too narrow to fit one.

When I reorganised the bathroom recently, I put a WC in there too, and
looked for a way to get a wash basin in the small loo. Remembering the
system seen in japan when I was there years ago, I thought it mught be
possible. No success, however!

Does anyone have a solution for this problem, other that washing in the
bathroom or kitchen?

Get one of the jap ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim....." wrote in message

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

Presumably it saves water over both, if only because the manual
flush wont always get used and the sensor system does if it hasn't failed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 7, 11:03*pm, "tim....." wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

[...]

A logical arrangement without any extra expense for sensors or wiring
plus a lot less piping. Only held about a half litre of water.
Only disadvantage is that one is required for each urinal.
But it would save a lot of water.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, February 7, 2013 9:54:17 PM UTC, Alan (BigAl) wrote:
On 05/02/2013 15:56, Martin Brown wrote:

On 05/02/2013 15:27, DerbyBorn wrote:

Japan: Combined wash basin and cistern on toilet

I thought that was a great idea in Japan. We have a house built in the

late 50's. The bog is a small room at the top of the stairs, no washhand

basin, and too narrow to fit one.

When I reorganised the bathroom recently, I put a WC in there too, and

looked for a way to get a wash basin in the small loo. Remembering the

system seen in japan when I was there years ago, I thought it mught be

possible. No success, however!

Does anyone have a solution for this problem, other that washing in the

bathroom or kitchen?

Al.

I've been in French loos that had a fold down wash hand basin above the loo. Very handy in a confined space

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/2013 08:40, fred wrote:

I've been in French loos that had a fold down wash hand basin above
the loo. Very handy in a confined space

Had been thinking along those lines (as am sure I have seen them in
railway carriages). Then realised the answer is to fit a compact urinal,
rather than a full WC bowl, leaving enough space to easily fit a small
basin.

And a supply of shee-pees, if appropriate.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , tim.....
writes

DerbyBorn wrote:
Bulgaria - Traffic Lights with an illuminated count-down in red or
green to the next change.

That would simply encourage jumping the lights - even more.

Dublin - Traffic lights with ped crossing countdowns - that are made
of
stainless steel and don't look as though they were made in the 1950's
(like ours)

We have some with pedestrian countdowns round here.

Does it encourage pedestrians to jump the lights

It didn't seem to in Spain,

Was that a SoH breakdown ?

?????????????????????????????????????????????

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

Of course they do. If 20 people are stood on a escalator, that's a lot
of weight being pulled down by gravity and the escalator is only
balanced when empty. Unless controlled, the escalator would speed up
when occupied! Okay there's friction in the system, but not enough to
slow a fully loaded escalator. As there are no brakes, it is the motor
doing the braking, the excess energy could be simply disipated as heat
or re-injected into the mains.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2013 16:33, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:

[...]

I agree that there are one or two features from the US that would be
useful here. But most of their signage is poor and looks like its done
so as to turn as many drivers as poss into administrative criminals. The
4-way stop is a good example.

We have a four-way give way. It causes no end of trouble as drivers from
all directions stop, decide the other drivers aren't moving and all set
off together, before slamming the brakes on again.

Google Streetview the junctions of Queen's Road and Westmorland Road,
Urmston for a look.

Originally, there were give ways just on the two ends of Westmorland and
a no-entry on one way of Queen's Road. The council thought too many
drivers were not noticing the no entry signs, so they decided to change
the Queen's Road ends to give ways, so as to slow approaching drivers.
The residents of Westmorland objected to losing their give ways as they
thought traffic would speed up on their road, so the council left all
four! Why they couldn't have simply placed a bollard on the no entry
bit, I don't know.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

Of course they do.

We'll see...

If 20 people are stood on a escalator, that's a lot of weight being pulled
down by gravity

Still doesn't need a brake for the descending load.

and the escalator is only balanced when empty.

Even sillier.

Unless controlled, the escalator would speed up when occupied!

Even sillier.

Okay there's friction in the system, but not enough to slow a fully loaded
escalator.

Bull****.

As there are no brakes, it is the motor doing the braking,

So, like I said, they don't brake a descending load.

the excess energy could be simply disipated as heat or re-injected into
the mains.

So, like I said, they don't brake a descending load.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Rod Speed" writes:

"SteveW" wrote in message
On 07/02/2013 21:40, Rod Speed wrote:
They don't brake a descending load.

Of course they do.

We'll see...

If 20 people are stood on a escalator, that's a lot of weight being pulled
down by gravity

Still doesn't need a brake for the descending load.

Most still use electrical brakes - dumping the energy into a giant
resistor bank. Regenerative braking has been around a couple of years
now, whereby the escalator can feed the energy back into the mains.
This may become an EU requirement in the future.

Bull****.

You did, didn't you

As there are no brakes, it is the motor doing the braking,

Correct.

So, like I said, they don't brake a descending load.

the excess energy could be simply disipated as heat or re-injected into
the mains.

Both schemes are currently used, as above.

So, like I said, they don't brake a descending load.

There you go again...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote
Rod Speed wrote
SteveW wrote
Rod Speed wrote

They don't brake a descending load.

Of course they do.

We'll see...

If 20 people are stood on a escalator, that's a
lot of weight being pulled down by gravity

Still doesn't need a brake for the descending load.

Most still use electrical brakes - dumping
the energy into a giant resistor bank.

I'm not convinced that most do.

Regenerative braking has been around a couple of years now,
whereby the escalator can feed the energy back into the mains.
This may become an EU requirement in the future.

As there are no brakes, it is the motor doing the braking,

Correct.

So, like I said, they don't brake a descending load.

the excess energy could be simply disipated
as heat or re-injected into the mains.

Both schemes are currently used, as above.

So, like I said, they don't brake a descending load.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

That doesn't quite sound true.
If twenty people get on a stationary escalator it doesn't start to move
even with the power off. It makes me wonder if there is a worm drive in
the system. Then the motor wouldn't need to brake just control its speed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2013 00:59, Rod Speed wrote:

So, like I said, they don't brake a descending load.

So why does a brake failure cause a descending escalator to suddenly
accelerate?

Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2013 15:24, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
ponder when I'm sitting at a red light for ages in the UK and
there's no other traffic within half a mile of the junction at 1am.

What really annoys me are lights on roundabouts that ratchet cars at 10m
a time and are still operating when there is near zero traffic on the
roads.

What also seems to be common place is pedestrian crossings where the red
light time has been adjusted so that the most slowest of disabled people
can cross. In reality 99.999% of the pedestrians crossing have already
walked a further half a mile down the road before the lights turn green
again.

I find that at night it is a lot faster to use the back street rat runs
than the mains roads with their multitude of lights. I'm not alone, with
many taxi drivers adopting the same policy. This cannot be good for road
safety and/or the peaceful sleep of those living on the rat runs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

eb.com...

Yeah, its bull****.

Yep, the story is pure bull****.

It makes me wonder if there is a worm drive in the system. Then the motor
wouldn't need to brake just control its speed.

Doesn't even need to do that when people get
on and off with an escalator that's going down.

The short story is that you don't even see any noticeable
change on the power used with a down escalator as people
get on and off at the top, let alone any braking needed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , SteveW
writes
Jethro_uk wrote:

[...]

There is/was a priority system in use on Guernsey for roads having equal
status. I have forgotten exactly how it worked but something like
preference in order of arrival.

I suppose this would not work well where traffic is queuing at busy
times.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/2013 23:31, SteveW wrote:
Why they couldn't have simply placed a bollard on the no entry
bit, I don't know.

Road planning in most councils is done by the sandals and bike brigade
who have never driven cars.

So much money is wasted in the name of safety but often achieves the
reverse. Who in their right minds would make two areas of the town car,
pedestrian and bike sharing - in theory everyone has equal priority. The
first serious accident was between a pedestrian and a push bike cyclist.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote
Rod Speed wrote

So, like I said, they don't brake a descending load.

So why does a brake failure cause a descending
escalator to suddenly accelerate?

It doesn't.

You also don't see the speed change at all as people
get on and off a descending escalator either.

Or see any examples of the thing going mad on a mains failure either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote:
polygonum wrote Rod Speed wrote

So, like I said, they don't brake a descending load.

So why does a brake failure cause a descending escalator to suddenly accelerate?

It doesn't.
You also don't see the speed change at all as people get on and off a
descending escalator either.
Or see any examples of the thing going mad on a mains failure either.

Bwhahahaha you dolt.

--
€˘DarWin|
_/ _/