Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Good ideas from overseas (OT bit of fun)

In message , SteveW
writes
On 07/02/2013 16:33, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:

On Thu, 07 Feb 2013 15:24:54 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Also seeing increasing use of lights which all park on red when they
see
a gap in the traffic, so traffic on a main road is forced to almost
stop, before the lights go green and let it through (Reading has
several
new sets like this). Really buggers up my fuel economy ratings, even
when driving through at night with empty roads. Don't know if this is
deliberate, or just badly programmed system. If they'd put the
inductive
pickup far enough in advance, the lights could have changed to green by
the time you got there if you were within the speed limit, but no, they
don't do that because the first loop is too near the junction.

I'd bet it's deliberate. Remember - discouraging car use is saving the
planet.

One US feature which we'll never see here, is the turn-right-on-red
system. Not appropriate everywhere (as indeed in the US, where there
are clear signs where it's not allowed). But it could help ease traffic.

I agree that there are one or two features from the US that would be
useful here. But most of their signage is poor and looks like its done
so as to turn as many drivers as poss into administrative criminals. The
4-way stop is a good example.

We have a four-way give way. It causes no end of trouble as drivers
from all directions stop, decide the other drivers aren't moving and
all set off together, before slamming the brakes on again.

Google Streetview the junctions of Queen's Road and Westmorland Road,
Urmston for a look.

Originally, there were give ways just on the two ends of Westmorland
and a no-entry on one way of Queen's Road. The council thought too many
drivers were not noticing the no entry signs, so they decided to change
the Queen's Road ends to give ways, so as to slow approaching drivers.
The residents of Westmorland objected to losing their give ways as they
thought traffic would speed up on their road, so the council left all
four! Why they couldn't have simply placed a bollard on the no entry
bit, I don't know.

There is/was a priority system in use on Guernsey for roads having equal
status. I have forgotten exactly how it worked but something like
preference in order of arrival.

I suppose this would not work well where traffic is queuing at busy
times.

--
Tim Lamb