Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Good ideas from overseas (OT bit of fun)

In article ,
"Rod Speed" writes:

"SteveW" wrote in message
On 07/02/2013 21:40, Rod Speed wrote:
They don't brake a descending load.

Of course they do.

We'll see...

If 20 people are stood on a escalator, that's a lot of weight being pulled
down by gravity

Still doesn't need a brake for the descending load.

Most still use electrical brakes - dumping the energy into a giant
resistor bank. Regenerative braking has been around a couple of years
now, whereby the escalator can feed the energy back into the mains.
This may become an EU requirement in the future.

Bull****.

You did, didn't you

As there are no brakes, it is the motor doing the braking,

Correct.

So, like I said, they don't brake a descending load.

the excess energy could be simply disipated as heat or re-injected into
the mains.

Both schemes are currently used, as above.

So, like I said, they don't brake a descending load.

There you go again...

--
Andrew Gabriel