Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default There's nothing like a good science based film ch5 this afternoon

"When an asteroid crashes into the moon, changing its electromagnetic
properties, it soon becomes clear that it will collide with earth in
just 39 days. After a failed attempt by the US to destroy it, an
international group of scientists must travel to the moon in an attempt
to restore it to its original orbit"

Now where's that wall I was going to paint and watch it dry ...?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 26 January 2013 14:31:38 UTC, geoff wrote:

When an asteroid crashes into the moon, changing its electromagnetic
properties, it soon becomes clear that it will collide with earth in
just 39 days.

Now where's that wall I was going to paint and watch it dry ...?

Almost as implausible as you mislaying a wall.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2013 16:01, Arty Effem wrote:
On Saturday, 26 January 2013 14:31:38 UTC, geoff wrote:

When an asteroid crashes into the moon, changing its electromagnetic
properties, it soon becomes clear that it will collide with earth in
just 39 days.

Now where's that wall I was going to paint and watch it dry ...?

Almost as implausible as you mislaying a wall.

You don't think that a demolition guy would be taken off a building
demo, and sent into space to save the world ? .. seems perfectly
plausible to me.
He is American they do this sort of thing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 14:31:38 +0000, geoff wrote:

"When an asteroid crashes into the moon, changing its electromagnetic
properties, it soon becomes clear that it will collide with earth in
just 39 days. After a failed attempt by the US to destroy it, an
international group of scientists must travel to the moon in an attempt
to restore it to its original orbit"

Now where's that wall I was going to paint and watch it dry ...?

3 anna half hours to paint a wall? Slacking, are you?
Reading the synopsis, I was bloody glad I missed it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
3 anna half hours to paint a wall? Slacking, are you?
Reading the synopsis, I was bloody glad I missed it.

I caught a few minutes while changing channels - "we need to
remagnetise the moon!" or some such nonsense - and then a bit later -
"we can destroy the moon with nuclear weapons" - ok, then you replace
one big lump with billions of smaller lumps. Nearly as good science as
The Core.

JGH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
jgharston writes
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
3 anna half hours to paint a wall? Slacking, are you?
Reading the synopsis, I was bloody glad I missed it.

I caught a few minutes while changing channels - "we need to
remagnetise the moon!" or some such nonsense - and then a bit later -
"we can destroy the moon with nuclear weapons" - ok, then you replace
one big lump with billions of smaller lumps. Nearly as good science as
The Core.

Am I correct in thinking the Moon does not have a magnetic field?
Something to do with little iron present due to the way it was formed?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/13 09:04, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
,
jgharston writes
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
3 anna half hours to paint a wall? Slacking, are you?
Reading the synopsis, I was bloody glad I missed it.

I caught a few minutes while changing channels - "we need to
remagnetise the moon!" or some such nonsense - and then a bit later -
"we can destroy the moon with nuclear weapons" - ok, then you replace
one big lump with billions of smaller lumps. Nearly as good science as
The Core.

Am I correct in thinking the Moon does not have a magnetic field?
Something to do with little iron present due to the way it was formed?

IIRC that is the case.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 27, 9:04*am, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
,
jgharston writes

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
3 anna half hours to paint a wall? Slacking, are you?
Reading the synopsis, I was bloody glad I missed it.

I caught a few minutes while changing channels - "we need to
remagnetise the moon!" or some such nonsense - and then a bit later -
"we can destroy the moon with nuclear weapons" - ok, then you replace
one big lump with billions of smaller lumps. Nearly as good science as
The Core.

Am I correct in thinking the Moon does not have a magnetic field?
Something to do with little iron present due to the way it was formed?

--
Tim Lamb

It has a weak magnetic field.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_field_of_the_Moon