Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Window shrink-film: any good for thermal insulation?

I can see that window shrink-film is effective for excluding draughts, but
if you already have a 100% draught-proof windows, is it worth buying for
the thermal insulation it provides over the course of one season?

TIA

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 2, 5:29*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
I can see that window shrink-film is effective for excluding draughts, but
if you already have a 100% draught-proof windows, is it worth buying for
the thermal insulation it provides over the course of one season?

Actually it is not meant to stop draughts.
In severe gales the film can balloon into the room.

Will it save more than it costs?
It costs about £6 to do a large set of windows.
For breakeven you would have to be able to save about 55 kWhr of
electricity or 150 kWhr of gas. It probably does save that over the
course of an entire winter.

Does it make a difference to comfort?
Most definately, and it is for this reason that DG takeup was so heavy
in the UK despite payback over a century. The actual monetary saving
of DG is actually quite small - and calculations assume no curtains or
lined curtains or thermal lined curtains.
Comfort wise it will eliminate the "cold plunge" off the glass which
is very pronounced with large areas of single glazing. The air gap is
typically quite large too - about 20-25mm, the earliest DG units were
just 4mm glass / 6mm gap / 4mm glass.

A note is some film tape has changed, it is extremely tacky, has a
weak film substrate, and bonds ridiculously strongly to paint such
that a chisel blade AND solvent AND sandpaper have to be used to get
the damn stuff off. I know this because I did it this afternoon for a
relative! Normally it just pulls old paint off or shears off new paint
due to a strong film substrate, but not this stuff - it was terrible
leaving an evo-stik-come-superglue residue. The old double sided tape
was much better.

I was fitting DIYplas.co.uk 3mm Cast Acrylic with PVC soft edging &
nylon-cam-with-screws. Very easy to fit, easy to remove & remove any
moisture buildup. Costs about £20-60 depending on the size of the
windows. Looks much better than film. Payback will be poor, but
comfort is noticeably and vastly cheaper than fitting double glazing
whose payback due to other insulation in place despite large glazed
area would be well over 140 years.

The most economic solution is probably the film on a picture-frame
screwed to the window which is easily removed for removing any
residual moisture ingress without destroying the film. It is not true
that moisture ingress rots window frames, they were most likely rotten
already re putty lifted off the glass outside. I recall windows puddle
wet & mouldy for weeks on end and it just wiped up every year, paint
is a good barrier oddly enough.

Thermal linings work - as do curtains, so do not ignore the easy
things first. I will not use film again, instead using the rigid stuff
with a simple PVC soft edging. Remove after winter. You can pick up
reasonably priced wood double & triple glazing somewhere in Scotland,
DIY fit remembering the insulated cavity closures with DPC, except the
FENSA gold-plated crowd want a fee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was fitting DIYplas.co.uk 3mm Cast Acrylic with PVC soft edging&
nylon-cam-with-screws. Very easy to fit, easy to remove& remove any
moisture buildup. Costs about £20-60 depending on the size of the
windows. Looks much better than film. Payback will be poor, but
comfort is noticeably and vastly cheaper than fitting double glazing
whose payback due to other insulation in place despite large glazed
area would be well over 140 years.

Looks like a very useful supplier for all sorts of plastic sheet and
fittings, I take it you recommend them?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AL_n" wrote in message
I can see that window shrink-film is effective for excluding draughts, but
if you already have a 100% draught-proof windows, is it worth buying for
the thermal insulation it provides over the course of one season?

Its the air that provides most of the insulation.

If the gap is around 20 mm as it is in double glazing it will be about as
effective.
If the gap is too big the air will circulate in the gap and the insulation
will be close to zero.

If there are draughts that remove the layer of still air in the gap the
insulation will be close to zero.

You can get sealed glazing with an extra layer of similar plastic to make
them into triple glazed units. They have about twice the insulating value as
normal double glazing when they have two 20 mm gaps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 2, 8:26*pm, Newshound wrote:
Looks like a very useful supplier for all sorts of plastic sheet and
fittings, I take it you recommend them?

I have used them for one order as above.

Panels are not cut by the square inch.
You pick a panel from a range of sizes (eg, 1200x1200) and specify a
free cut to one size (eg, 967x1159).
For a large 3 pane window I simply spanned the 3 panes with one sheet
to no ill effect, as I did with film actually.

I purchased based on price. You can buy 2400x1200mm locally, online or
Ebay, but most places charge for cutting and per cut. The nylon cam-
pegs & screws and PVC U-channel can be bought elsewhere, but it is
another postage cost.

The system is simple, which gives it a good chance of success.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
js.b1 writes
On Dec 2, 8:26*pm, Newshound wrote:
Looks like a very useful supplier for all sorts of plastic sheet and
fittings, I take it you recommend them?

I have used them for one order as above.

I've used them before a couple of times for stuff, though not for some
years.

Were fine.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"AL_n" writes:
I can see that window shrink-film is effective for excluding draughts, but
if you already have a 100% draught-proof windows, is it worth buying for
the thermal insulation it provides over the course of one season?

I put a piece on the single pane over the front door in 1986,
the sort you stick on with double-sided tape around the sides
and then bring tought with a hair drier.

It's still there, and working fine. Sounds like a bass drum
if you tap it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 11:26:42 -0800 (PST), "js.b1"
wrote:

I was fitting DIYplas.co.uk 3mm Cast Acrylic with PVC soft edging &
nylon-cam-with-screws.

Nylon cam with screws. What's that then?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was fitting DIYplas.co.uk 3mm Cast Acrylic with PVC soft edging &
nylon-cam-with-screws.

Nylon cam with screws. What's that then?

With one secondary glazing system you cut the sheet slightly oversize
(24mm), then apply a PVC U-channel around the outside which acts to
seal against small surface defects. The sheet complete with U-channel
perimeter is held against the window frame by use of screw fitted
nylon cams around its perimeter.

The nylon cams consist of a cylinder with cam lobe at one end. The
nylon cylinder "body" acts to retain the weight of the sheet, the cam
lobe is turned to retain the sheet against the frame. o- is a graphic
representation of the "o" cylinder and "-" cam which projects out from
the end of the cylinder. You turn the cam to retain the sheet. A
picture is worth a lot of words, go visit the site.

I would add today that very large sheets could benefit from being 4mm
over 3mm acrylic - the extra stiffness might be necessary to prevent
the sheet bowing. There is a distinct noise benefit, not
unsurprisingly. Also useful for sheds & workshops where you want to
avoid the windows running in water during winter yet do not want to
spend much.

Window Film Tiziano Home Ownership 1 June 23rd 09 02:38 PM
Sempatap Thermal Insulation - anyone tried it? Autolycus[_2_] UK diy 2 December 11th 07 11:46 AM
Electrical insulation reacts with thermal insulation? David Pearson UK diy 6 May 22nd 05 11:22 PM
quenching a shrink fit--good idea? Ken Grunke Metalworking 9 February 4th 05 11:26 PM
Window Film Richard Martin Home Ownership 0 March 22nd 04 02:40 PM