Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Solvent-based satinwood paints - which good ones are still available (tinted)? Help!!!

Hi,

Just returned empty-handed from B&Q and Homebase as it seems the Dulux
mixed-to-your-own-colour range has been changed to have only water-based
products now. As a long-time and very satisfied user of their Satinwood
product (and the Permoglaze Satin Finish which was/is also very good) I'm
not having that, especially if it's anything like their old water-based
"Quick Drying Satinwood" which, apart from Dulux "Once", was The Worst Paint
I Have Ever Used.

So, which of the "trade" paint suppliers still supply anything that's at all
good? My requirements are - SATIN finish, Solvent based, Tinting machine
colours available. The Permoglaze site is down so can't check that. Leyland
and/or Johnstone still seem to do some, and are apparently working on new
solvent-based versions that will be compliant with the new regulations -
seems these particular regulations have slipped in with minimal publicity
leaving possibly inferior products for us DIYers.

Are any of the "trade" counters DIYer-friendly nowadays? Last time I went to
Brewers their ticket prices seemed unbelievably high, I'm guessing with a
substantial discount for "trade" customers. I need to try my local "Cane
Adam" and Johnstone's Leyland centres tomorrow - has anyone had any luck
with these? I have been spoiled for a long time by working very near a small
shop called Professional Traders in Sunbury, and got all my Permoglaze
supplies there - very pleased with the service and they didn't discriminate
particularly against DIY customers pricewise. Sadly BT decided they didn't
want me to work there after September so I lost my handy
walkable-at-lunchtime supplier. (It's a 72 mile round trip if I need to pop
over there now.) Ho hum.

Any advice welcome!

Thanks,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 20/12/2009 16:25, Simon Stroud wrote:
[...]

I am not trade and have had no problems getting small (even tester size)
mixed at Johnstone/Leyland centre in Slough.[1] They do indeed still do
a solvent-based satin.

[1] Friendly, helpful service both before and after producing my staff
card - I work for the same group of companies but in an entirely
separate area. No intentional bias.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
[...]

Satin is a superb finish. Can't understand why more people don't use it. I
have satin doors and gloss frames. Looks great.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Rod,

I'll give them a try if I can't find anything more local (the nearest one is
in Newbury and I'm in Basingstoke so not TOO far).

Regards,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 16:25:51 -0000, "Simon Stroud"
wrote:

Are any of the "trade" counters DIYer-friendly nowadays? Last time I went to
Brewers their ticket prices seemed unbelievably high, I'm guessing with a
substantial discount for "trade" customers. I need to try my local "Cane
Adam" and Johnstone's Leyland centres tomorrow - has anyone had any luck
with these? I have been spoiled for a long time by working very near a small
shop called Professional Traders in Sunbury, and got all my Permoglaze
supplies there - very pleased with the service and they didn't discriminate
particularly against DIY customers pricewise. Sadly BT decided they didn't
want me to work there after September so I lost my handy
walkable-at-lunchtime supplier. (It's a 72 mile round trip if I need to pop
over there now.) Ho hum.

If you are not already sorted try the Crown Decorator Centre, nearest
to you seems to be at 2 Arkwright Road, Reading RG2.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Stroud" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks everyone.

It turns out that Brewers still do "proper" Dulux Satinwood in the Dulux
Trade range, so problem sorted.

Regards,
Simon.