Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Latex vs Oil based paints

I just built some shelves for my study and used a latex paint on the
inside, front, and sides. I just found out that I can't use the latex
paint for the actual shelves. Looking at the posts from other groups
it is recomended that I use an oil base paint so my books... won't
stick to the shelves. Anyway, can you tell me if I'm going to see a
big color difference between the latex if I use the oil base on my
shelves?

Posted to alt.home.repair

With flat latex they wont stick after it cures with gloss it can, oil
might peal if the latex doesnt cure out for a month.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"m Ransley" wrote in message
With flat latex they wont stick after it cures with gloss it can, oil
might peal if the latex doesnt cure out for a month.

As you might have guessed villafum, there is a difference between drying and
curing. Frankly, I don't know the answer to your question, if books might
stick after time even to cured latex. However, you certainly would not want
to put anything on it after just drying for a day or 2.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've recently finished a linen closet with home made MDF shelving. We
use oil-based white gloss exterior paint for everything we can because
it is ridiculously strong. After two days, we put everything from
linens to tools on these shelves and haven't marred or scratched them
one bit.

I've never used latex paint to cover a shelf...and that's because I
know how well oil-based paints work for the purpose....not too mention
that you can get a gallon of white oil-based at Walmart for about $15.
(don't forget the paint thinner too...$4/gallon)

I have rolled on this oil-based white paint on a 40 year old iron tub
with a lousy finish as well as a tile shower surround. After 6
months, it is as glossy and beautiful as the day I finished the final
coat. (we did about 4 coats with about a weeks drying between for that
project). The finish is amazing, as you can really thin the final
coat or two with thinner and eliminate all brush strokes and
imprefections that I've experienced with latex based paint (especially
exterior versions)

Now that I know how durable oil-based paint is, I only use latex for
walls or anything I plan to repaint with latex later. Gloss oil-based
paints are so slick that I can't imagine getting latex to ever stick to
them...but this is a guess based on having repainted so many latex
covered surfaces, and I've never tried to paint over oil-based with
latex.

hope this helps!
jason
aspasia wrote:
On 4 Nov 2006 18:52:47 -0800, wrote:

I just built some shelves for my study and used a latex paint on the
inside, front, and sides. I just found out that I can't use the latex
paint for the actual shelves.

???

Why not? Inquiring minds want to know...

Looking at the posts from other groups
it is recomended that I use an oil base paint so my books... won't
stick to the shelves. Anyway, can you tell me if I'm going to see a
big color difference between the latex if I use the oil base on my
shelves?

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

wrote:
[...]

Amen. In my experimental youth, I once dragged some furniture down to
Earl Scheib no less to get painted. Although it apparently didn't occur
to them that unlike a Chevy, they could flip the thing over and paint
the undersides of things, the part that did get coated was as you'd
expect, unrivaled in gloss and durability.

Whereas my experiences with latex on bookshelves have been pretty
negative, even after long time.