Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default oil-based paints to be banned ?

On dragons den last night, one of the "dragons" mentioned oil-based or
high VOC paints are to be banned. Anyone know about this ?
Will be forced to use the awful quick-drying paints that leave brush
marks everywhere ?
More things going the way of the incandescent light bulbs ?
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
On dragons den last night, one of the "dragons" mentioned oil-based or
high VOC paints are to be banned. Anyone know about this ?
Will be forced to use the awful quick-drying paints that leave brush
marks everywhere ?
More things going the way of the incandescent light bulbs ?
Simon.

http://www.buildingconservation.com/...intrestric.htm

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
On dragons den last night, one of the "dragons" mentioned oil-based or
high VOC paints are to be banned. Anyone know about this ?
Will be forced to use the awful quick-drying paints that leave brush
marks everywhere ?
More things going the way of the incandescent light bulbs ?
Simon.

Quote from the Direct Doors website

Decorating tip: Please make sure that no water based decorating products
are used on any door that is veneered, please make sure all doors are
coated prior to installation, failure to do so will invalidate your
guarantee, if in doubt please ask for our advice.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 3, 1:09*pm, "mark" wrote:
"sm_jamieson" wrote in message

On dragons den last night, one of the "dragons" mentioned oil-based or
high VOC paints are to be banned. Anyone know about this ?
Will be forced to use the awful quick-drying paints that leave brush
marks everywhere ?
More things going the way of the incandescent light bulbs ?
Simon.

http://www.buildingconservation.com/...ic/paintrestri...

mark

yet more idiotic meddling. We'll just have to go over to lead paint or
make our own oil paints, probably using something worse than white
spirit.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
NT writes:
On Sep 3, 1:09*pm, "mark" wrote:
"sm_jamieson" wrote in message

On dragons den last night, one of the "dragons" mentioned oil-based or
high VOC paints are to be banned. Anyone know about this ?
Will be forced to use the awful quick-drying paints that leave brush
marks everywhere ?
More things going the way of the incandescent light bulbs ?
Simon.

http://www.buildingconservation.com/...ic/paintrestri...

mark

yet more idiotic meddling. We'll just have to go over to lead paint or
make our own oil paints, probably using something worse than white
spirit.

I have a few bottles of extra virgin olive oil which has gone off
(a moment of madness in Costco many years ago, and bought more than
we could use). They'd been put to the side, but I opened one recently,
and it now smells quite similar to some oil based gloss paints.
Perhaps given a few more years, I could recover some volatiles from
it to use to make paint? ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
On Sep 3, 1:09 pm, "mark" wrote:
"sm_jamieson" wrote in message

On dragons den last night, one of the "dragons" mentioned oil-based or
high VOC paints are to be banned. Anyone know about this ?
Will be forced to use the awful quick-drying paints that leave brush
marks everywhere ?
More things going the way of the incandescent light bulbs ?
Simon.

http://www.buildingconservation.com/...ic/paintrestri...

mark

yet more idiotic meddling. We'll just have to go over to lead paint or
make our own oil paints, probably using something worse than white
spirit.

Perhaps you didn't read the article. Here is a quote:

"Flat oil paint and eggshell oil paints will be effectively banned from use
on walls. They may however still be used on 'trim' areas such as woodwork."

Will not being allowed to 'gloss' your wall bother you?

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 3, 9:11*pm, "mark" wrote:
"NT" wrote in message
On Sep 3, 1:09 pm, "mark" wrote:
[...]

Perhaps I did. Perhaps it said VOC level limits would be reduced below
the point at which some important workable paints could be produced.

Perhaps they could get round it by selling paint concentrate, just add
whatever solvent you can get now.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Sep, 21:11, "mark" wrote:
"NT" wrote in message

On Sep 3, 1:09 pm, "mark" wrote:

[...]

How are they going to "effectively" ban them ?
If oil-based gloss is available, how can they stop you painting the
walls with it ?
Put painting under building control ? Should have been called part P !

I guess they just mean oil-based non-gloss paints (e.g. eggshell)
will not be manufactured. Shame, as eggshell is the best durable mid-
sheen finish. I painted a load of kitchen cabinets with that.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon wrote:
On 3 Sep, 21:11, "mark" wrote:
"NT" wrote in message

On Sep 3, 1:09 pm, "mark" wrote:

[...]

This will be a problem for industrial scale painting where they rely on
fast solvents in cold weather.
I see they're now doing the Forth Bridge in some miracle coating that
will last 25 years. Hmm, we'll see
Posted to uk.d-i-y

How are they going to "effectively" ban them ?

They will make it illegal to sell to the public in more than 250ml
cans. And you'll need a 'pseudo-Corgi' registration to buy trade.

R.

Save the world, eat politicians!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

This will be a problem for industrial scale painting where they rely on
fast solvents in cold weather.
I see they're now doing the Forth Bridge in some miracle coating that
will last 25 years. Hmm, we'll see

I think this is just referring to use for decorating.

I really hope so - so I won't have to paint my dinghy in low-VOC
emulsion that come off when soaked in water...

Andy