Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New nuclear notches up: Minister claims its all his own idea.

The facts:

"Hitachi-GE approached the Department for Energy and Climate Change
earlier in this month seeking GDA for the ABWR design. The move followed
Hitachi's purchase of Horizon Nuclear Power in late October from EOn and
RWE, the German utilities that had planned to build up to four new units
at Wylfa and up to three units at Oldbury. It immediately announced an
intention to deploy ABWRs at the sites."

The spin:

Energy minister John Hayes "We must however be absolutely sure that any
reactor used in this country meets our rigorous safety standards. That's
why I'm asking the Office for Nuclear Regulation (ONR) and the
Environment Agency (EA) to conduct a thorough examination of the reactor
design proposed for the Wylfa and Oldbury sites."

Actually John I'll let you into a secret. That's their ****ing job, you
pompous, out-of-your-depth, stupid ****.

(http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/NN...t-1501134.html)

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was just thinking that, and also if as I am led to believe most of the
design has already been looked at when it was under the old management they
will not need to look for very long, but probably will, much to the
annoyance of Hitachi.

Brian

--
From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as

(
http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/NN...t-1501134.html)

--
Ineptocracy

lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members
of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded
with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a
diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

good old swivel swervants, where would we be without them?

local council spends more on training people to do "the job" than is
spent doing "the job"

Jim K

On Jan 17, 10:45 am, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
I was just thinking that, and also if as I am led to believe most of the
design has already been looked at when it was under the old management they
will not need to look for very long, but probably will, much to the
annoyance of Hitachi.

Brian

--
From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as

(http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/NN...sessment-15011...)

--
Ineptocracy

lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members
of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded
with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a
diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

And guess what. Cameron has said London helicopter rules will be reviewed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2013 10:45, Brian Gaff wrote:
I was just thinking that, and also if as I am led to believe most of the
design has already been looked at when it was under the old management they
will not need to look for very long, but probably will, much to the
annoyance of Hitachi.

Brian

Easy to get confused, but actually this design *hasn't* been through the
UK GDA process. And it is a relatively new design.

I wonder if any large industrial country will ever say, of a reasonably
proven imported nuclear power station design, actually we are happy if
it meets the supplier country's standards. Presumably we don't do a
design review from the ground up of Boeing airliners?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
b.com...
On 17/01/2013 10:45, Brian Gaff wrote:
I was just thinking that, and also if as I am led to believe most of the
design has already been looked at when it was under the old management
they
will not need to look for very long, but probably will, much to the
annoyance of Hitachi.

Brian

Easy to get confused, but actually this design *hasn't* been through the
UK GDA process. And it is a relatively new design.

I wonder if any large industrial country will ever say, of a reasonably
proven imported nuclear power station design, actually we are happy if it
meets the supplier country's standards. Presumably we don't do a design
review from the ground up of Boeing airliners?

Because even if one does crash and burn, the potential isnt quite the same.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2013 21:00, Rod Speed wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
b.com...
On 17/01/2013 10:45, Brian Gaff wrote:
I was just thinking that, and also if as I am led to believe most of the
design has already been looked at when it was under the old
management they
will not need to look for very long, but probably will, much to the
annoyance of Hitachi.

Brian

Easy to get confused, but actually this design *hasn't* been through
the UK GDA process. And it is a relatively new design.

I wonder if any large industrial country will ever say, of a
reasonably proven imported nuclear power station design, actually we
are happy if it meets the supplier country's standards. Presumably we
don't do a design review from the ground up of Boeing airliners?

Because even if one does crash and burn, the potential isnt quite the same.

Statistics say otherwise.
Nuclear accidents tend to kill very few.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 17/01/2013 21:00, Rod Speed wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
b.com...
[...]

I wasn't talking about deaths.

Have a look at that Fukashima and Chernobyl have done
to the economics of the area around them sometime.

You don't get anything like that result with a plane crash.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/13 19:53, newshound wrote:
[...]

I wont say I cant wait till one crashes into a sodding wind turbine.
German parachutist did tho. Has the dubious epitaph of being the first
member of the general public to be killed by windpower. Apart from the
thousand dying of hypothermia.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/13 20:00, newshound wrote:
On 17/01/2013 10:45, Brian Gaff wrote:
I was just thinking that, and also if as I am led to believe most of the
design has already been looked at when it was under the old management
they
will not need to look for very long, but probably will, much to the
annoyance of Hitachi.

Brian

Easy to get confused, but actually this design *hasn't* been through the
UK GDA process. And it is a relatively new design.

I wonder if any large industrial country will ever say, of a reasonably
proven imported nuclear power station design, actually we are happy if
it meets the supplier country's standards. Presumably we don't do a
design review from the ground up of Boeing airliners?

Not if they want to keep their jobs, no.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 17, 7:53*pm, newshound wrote:

[...]

I liked the "jump on the bandwagon" interview with Kate Hoey (sp?) on
R4s Today programme saying we needed to control the increasing
helicopter flight around London, followed by John Humphries (or
whoever was on the day) saying they had checked, and flights have
actually decreased significantly over the last year or three.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Man
at B&Q writes
And guess what. Cameron has said London helicopter rules will be reviewed.

I liked the "jump on the bandwagon" interview with Kate Hoey (sp?) on
R4s Today programme saying we needed to control the increasing
helicopter flight around London, followed by John Humphries (or
whoever was on the day) saying they had checked, and flights have
actually decreased significantly over the last year or three.

My post recession observation as well.

I live in *bomb alley* in the way of direct routed helicopter flights
from central London to the private jet parked at Luton airport.

500' may be the minimum height but they don't seem to bother going much
higher:-(

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/13 10:15, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
, Man
at B&Q writes
And guess what. Cameron has said London helicopter rules will be
reviewed.

I liked the "jump on the bandwagon" interview with Kate Hoey (sp?) on
R4s Today programme saying we needed to control the increasing
helicopter flight around London, followed by John Humphries (or
whoever was on the day) saying they had checked, and flights have
actually decreased significantly over the last year or three.

My post recession observation as well.

I live in *bomb alley* in the way of direct routed helicopter flights
from central London to the private jet parked at Luton airport.

500' may be the minimum height but they don't seem to bother going much
higher:-(

Round here its apaches and tornadoes at 150' I kid you not. Thank god
there are no wind turbines yet.

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%...Helicopter.jpg

That is my roof. Taken from where I am sitting.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
[...]

Looking at the loading.... best you don't wave two fingers at him!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

My post recession observation as well.

I live in *bomb alley* in the way of direct routed helicopter flights
from central London to the private jet parked at Luton airport.

500' may be the minimum height but they don't seem to bother going much
higher:-(

We have a Chinook squadron not far away, getting 50ft separation from
the house would be nice. Sadly MoD do the "na na na naaa we can't hear
you" approach if I call/write to complain. Still, at least it's a great
improvement on the days when we had Tornadoes stationed there as well.

--
Burn Hollywood burn, burn down to the ground

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-01-18, Steve Firth wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:

My post recession observation as well.

I live in *bomb alley* in the way of direct routed helicopter flights
from central London to the private jet parked at Luton airport.

500' may be the minimum height but they don't seem to bother going much
higher:-(

We have a Chinook squadron not far away, getting 50ft separation from
the house would be nice. Sadly MoD do the "na na na naaa we can't hear
you" approach if I call/write to complain.

The bloke at the CAA told me not to bother complaining to the MoD because
they'll just say "We had no aircraft operating in that area".

Yeah. Right. So I imagined the Chinooks, AR10 Warthogs, Apaches and gawd
knows what else, did I?

I got a letter back with a snotty statement that "members of the public
know little about aircraft operations and are always mistaken about
aircraft types and separation distances". So I replied through the RAF's
internal mail system. Didn't get an apology or a retraction of the
bull****.

The Chinooks often fly unlit at night in formations of three with large
weights intended to replicate the weight of a field gun slung
underneath. I complained about the danger that these practice sessions
create, particularly because the tether that holds up the weight is a
single webbing strop and would not be permitted for use as a sling on a
crane. I think the short summary of the reply I got was "**** off".

--
Burn Hollywood burn, burn down to the ground
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 13:30:47 +0000, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

We have a Chinook squadron not far away, getting 50ft separation from
the house would be nice. Sadly MoD do the "na na na naaa we can't hear
you" approach if I call/write to complain. Still, at least it's a great
improvement on the days when we had Tornadoes stationed there as well.

Were the Tornadoes a long term deployment or just visiting for the
families day? . When I used to work around that area Lasham seemed a
funny place ,drive up a country lane and there you were looking at a
load of airliners parked behind a hedge.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

We have a Chinook squadron not far away, getting 50ft separation from
the house would be nice. Sadly MoD do the "na na na naaa we can't hear
you" approach if I call/write to complain. Still, at least it's a great
improvement on the days when we had Tornadoes stationed there as well.

Were the Tornadoes a long term deployment or just visiting for the
families day?

I think they were there in the warm up for Bosnia. They flew over the
house and surrounding area several times between January and April.

When I used to work around that area Lasham seemed a
funny place ,drive up a country lane and there you were looking at a
load of airliners parked behind a hedge.

Country lane? That's a main road that is, used to be my route into
Farnborough.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/2013 12:47, Tim Streater wrote:

Had a couple of Chinooks come over at that sort of height last year.

Had one hover above the house a few years back while the SAS attacked a
factory nearby.
The damn thing made so much noise things were moving around on the shelves.
This was at about three AM.
After the first half hour I would have shot it down if I had something
to do it with.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I wont say I cant wait till one crashes into a sodding wind turbine.
German parachutist did tho. Has the dubious epitaph of being the first
member of the general public to be killed by windpower. Apart from the
thousand dying of hypothermia.

What about those who have fallen of a roof trying to fit a wind
generator to their house?

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/2013 10:15, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
, Man
at B&Q writes
And guess what. Cameron has said London helicopter rules will be
reviewed.

I liked the "jump on the bandwagon" interview with Kate Hoey (sp?) on
R4s Today programme saying we needed to control the increasing
helicopter flight around London, followed by John Humphries (or
whoever was on the day) saying they had checked, and flights have
actually decreased significantly over the last year or three.

My post recession observation as well.

I live in *bomb alley* in the way of direct routed helicopter flights
from central London to the private jet parked at Luton airport.

500' may be the minimum height but they don't seem to bother going much
higher:-(

If you are in a congested (i.e. built up) area, the minimum altitude is
1,000 feet above the highest object within 600 metres. 500 feet is the
minimum distance from a person, vessel, vehicle or structure and it does
not have to be a vertical separation.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message om,
"dennis@home" writes
On 18/01/2013 12:47, Tim Streater wrote:

Had a couple of Chinooks come over at that sort of height last year.

Had one hover above the house a few years back while the SAS attacked a
factory nearby.
The damn thing made so much noise things were moving around on the shelves.
This was at about three AM.
After the first half hour I would have shot it down if I had something
to do it with.

Umm..

My Grandfather showed me a few tricks connected to shotguns.

Probably Home Guard desperate measures stuff but interesting to a
teenager.

First you need a 12 bore shotgun; preferably with a non choked barrel.

Trick one was to weaken the cardboard (in those days) cartridge case
next to the wadding with a sharp knife. When fired the case would trap
the shot and exit the barrel in one lump.

A modern *upgrade* would be to open up the case and pour in some
suitable glue to bind the shot to a solid lump. He suggested candle wax.

Buckshot, beloved of American films: SSG shot (9 pellets to the round)
would reach 500' and rattle the canopy.

Another trick was to load a cartridge with pearl barley for use against
unwelcome dogs.

Of course a responsible shotgun owner would not consider any of these
actions appropriate.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nightjar
writes
[...]

I reckon if I can hear the rotor noise above a tractor engine at full
chat, they are too close!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 09:24:24 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

Trick one was to weaken the cardboard (in those days) cartridge case
next to the wadding with a sharp knife. When fired the case would trap
the shot and exit the barrel in one lump.

Same thing happens with paper cartridges that have got wet then frozen
as one of the guns found when rough shooting in 1974.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/2013 09:24, Tim Lamb wrote:
My Grandfather showed me a few tricks connected to shotguns.

Probably Home Guard desperate measures stuff but interesting to a teenager.

First you need a 12 bore shotgun; preferably with a non choked barrel.

Trick one was to weaken the cardboard (in those days) cartridge case
next to the wadding with a sharp knife. When fired the case would trap
the shot and exit the barrel in one lump.

According to my Home Guard Manual 1942, that results in the bit of outer
case sticking part way down the barrel 3 times out of 5, needing it to
be cleared before the next shot.

A modern *upgrade* would be to open up the case and pour in some
suitable glue to bind the shot to a solid lump. He suggested candle wax...

That, it says, will penetrate a 3/4" board at 25 yards.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/13 08:11, Nightjar wrote:
I wont say I cant wait till one crashes into a sodding wind turbine.
German parachutist did tho. Has the dubious epitaph of being the first
member of the general public to be killed by windpower. Apart from the
thousand dying of hypothermia.

What about those who have fallen of a roof trying to fit a wind
generator to their house?

They are not members of the general public.

Anymore than the man killed on Felixstowe docks when a wind turbine
blade fell on him

Colin Bignell

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Nightjar
writes
[...]

Not when they are bombing the fire that's seeing your arse going up in
flames.
http://images.eaa.org/ehotline/Elvis1.gif

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nightjar
writes
On 19/01/2013 09:24, Tim Lamb wrote:
My Grandfather showed me a few tricks connected to shotguns.

Probably Home Guard desperate measures stuff but interesting to a teenager.

First you need a 12 bore shotgun; preferably with a non choked barrel.

Trick one was to weaken the cardboard (in those days) cartridge case
next to the wadding with a sharp knife. When fired the case would trap
the shot and exit the barrel in one lump.

According to my Home Guard Manual 1942, that results in the bit of
outer case sticking part way down the barrel 3 times out of 5, needing
it to be cleared before the next shot.

Not something I ever tried. True cylinder barrels are rare. I have an
idea the old *garden gun* 9mm? did that anyway with paper cartridges.

A modern *upgrade* would be to open up the case and pour in some
suitable glue to bind the shot to a solid lump. He suggested candle wax...

That, it says, will penetrate a 3/4" board at 25 yards.

I don't suppose the ballistics were very good:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 09:28:44 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

I reckon if I can hear the rotor noise above a tractor engine at full
chat, they are too close!

Ha you've had half a dozen chinocks come over at 100' and 200 yds away as
well. B-) I think I have picture of two of 'em... Had plenty of warning
to find the camera and get outside. Chinooks have a LOUD distinctive
sound and are ponderously slow. Still haven't got a picture of a fast
jet, by the time you've heard it, it's gone...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
On 2013-01-18, Steve Firth wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:

My post recession observation as well.

I live in *bomb alley* in the way of direct routed helicopter flights
from central London to the private jet parked at Luton airport.

500' may be the minimum height but they don't seem to bother going much
higher:-(

We have a Chinook squadron not far away, getting 50ft separation from
the house would be nice. Sadly MoD do the "na na na naaa we can't hear
you" approach if I call/write to complain.

The bloke at the CAA told me not to bother complaining to the MoD because
they'll just say "We had no aircraft operating in that area".

So there would be no problem if you brought it down

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

You build model aircraft - ATTACK

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/13 14:19, geoff wrote:
[...]

No. I am happy that the boys train over our patch. They are saving lives
somewhere when they aren't learning. But I do wish they wouldn't pretend
it ain't happening.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No. I am happy that the boys train over our patch. They are saving lives
somewhere when they aren't learning. But I do wish they wouldn't pretend
it ain't happening.

Is security.
It ain't that difficult to bring a chopper down with stuff you can buy
on ebay if you know where they are going to be.