Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default New nuclear notches up: Minister claims its all his own idea.

On 19/01/2013 09:24, Tim Lamb wrote:
My Grandfather showed me a few tricks connected to shotguns.

Probably Home Guard desperate measures stuff but interesting to a teenager.

First you need a 12 bore shotgun; preferably with a non choked barrel.

Trick one was to weaken the cardboard (in those days) cartridge case
next to the wadding with a sharp knife. When fired the case would trap
the shot and exit the barrel in one lump.

According to my Home Guard Manual 1942, that results in the bit of outer
case sticking part way down the barrel 3 times out of 5, needing it to
be cleared before the next shot.

A modern *upgrade* would be to open up the case and pour in some
suitable glue to bind the shot to a solid lump. He suggested candle wax...

That, it says, will penetrate a 3/4" board at 25 yards.

Colin Bignell