Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to get a zipper back on track (must slip 3 "notches")?

I stupidly zipped up my coat when I hadn't perfectly
lined-up the bottom ends of the two sides.

(Actually, it's been acting up a bit (getting old?) and
the "male" left side bottom-end doesn't so easily and surely slip into
the matching "female" right side.)

Anyway, it's zipped up a couple of inches, but off by 3 or so
"notches" (due to that male-female problem).

Any idea on how to get it unzipped?

(Wife says "get a new winter jacket" -- but I *like* this
one, and besides Costco hasn't sold anything as good as it
for several years now. It's the best I've ever had -- best
made, etc.)

Ideas?

Thanks!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:
I stupidly zipped up my coat when I hadn't perfectly
lined-up the bottom ends of the two sides.

(Actually, it's been acting up a bit (getting old?) and
the "male" left side bottom-end doesn't so easily and surely slip into
the matching "female" right side.)

Anyway, it's zipped up a couple of inches, but off by 3 or so
"notches" (due to that male-female problem).

Any idea on how to get it unzipped?

(Wife says "get a new winter jacket" -- but I *like* this
one, and besides Costco hasn't sold anything as good as it
for several years now. It's the best I've ever had -- best
made, etc.)

Ideas?

Force it unzipped with a pair of pliers, and start over? (after
tightening the slider thingy ever-so-gently with the same pliers, and
lubing the zipper teeth all the way up with a candle stub?)

BTDT, and I feel your pain. Realistically, your wife is right- the
cost-effective cure is replacement. I have had zippers replaced, but it
is absurdly expensive, so unless the coat has sentimental value or is a
specialty item, it really doesn't make sense. And unless you have an
industrial sewing machine at home, it isn't a DIY project unless you are
willing to spend hours hand-sewing with a sailmaker needle. I had my
last one done at a luggage repair shop, and I had to bring in the
zipper. They do sell zipper repair kits, but finding one with a slider
big enough for a coat is hard, and the imported coats tend to use weird
non-standard zippers.

Side rant- zippers without contrasting colors on the little tab at the
start, and fabric flaps the same color as the zipper, too close to the
moving parts. I'm well into middle age, with eyesight to match. It makes
me feel like a 5 year old again, fighting with a zipper to get it
started, only to have the fabric edge get caught 3 inches later and
jamming the thing.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Combs" wrote:

I stupidly zipped up my coat when I hadn't perfectly
lined-up the bottom ends of the two sides.

(Actually, it's been acting up a bit (getting old?) and
the "male" left side bottom-end doesn't so easily and surely slip into
the matching "female" right side.)

Anyway, it's zipped up a couple of inches, but off by 3 or so
"notches" (due to that male-female problem).

Any idea on how to get it unzipped?

Zippers wear out, sometimes before the coat does.

You can buy a new zipper, and sew it onto the coat.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:

"David Combs" wrote:

I stupidly zipped up my coat when I hadn't perfectly
lined-up the bottom ends of the two sides.

(Actually, it's been acting up a bit (getting old?) and
the "male" left side bottom-end doesn't so easily and surely slip into
the matching "female" right side.)

Anyway, it's zipped up a couple of inches, but off by 3 or so
"notches" (due to that male-female problem).

Any idea on how to get it unzipped?

Zippers wear out, sometimes before the coat does.

You can buy a new zipper, and sew it onto the coat.

Jon

If you do that, make sure you purchase a man's zipper, not a woman's one.

I bought what was clearly described as a man's jacket online from Kohl's
last year and what came had a woman''s zipper on it.

It was so frustrating to have to fumble with the zipper whenever I
decided to wear that jacket that I returned it and got my money back.

Old habits are hard to break....

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Jon Danniken wrote:

"David Combs" wrote:

[...]

You should be able to walk it down by wiggling it back and forth. Very
tedious and time consuming, but you can do it. You push down on one
side while pulling up on the other and wiggling. (not you but the
zipper G)

Posted to alt.home.repair

How to get a zipper back on track when the track is about half way down the zipper. Thanks to my ten year old and his favorite jacket.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

How to get a zipper back on track when the track is about half way
down the zipper. Thanks to my ten year old and his favorite jacket.

Not clear what you mean by back on track.

If you mean that there the two sides of the zip are
out by 3 links, with jackets that have a zip that can
be separated at one end, just run the loop down
to that end and separate the two sides, put the free
side back in the slider again and carry on regardless.

He likely just didnt put it in the slider properly the
last time he zipped it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 11:51:11 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

He likely just didnąt put it in the slider properly the
last time he zipped it.

I trust that you got a lifelong experience of unzipping flies, cocksucking
senile Rot! BG

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."