Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen Dan Espen is offline

Default How to get a zipper back on track (must slip 3 "notches")?

(David Combs) writes:

I stupidly zipped up my coat when I hadn't perfectly
lined-up the bottom ends of the two sides.

(Actually, it's been acting up a bit (getting old?) and
the "male" left side bottom-end doesn't so easily and surely slip into
the matching "female" right side.)

Anyway, it's zipped up a couple of inches, but off by 3 or so
"notches" (due to that male-female problem).

Any idea on how to get it unzipped?

Well, no one else seems to know how to deal with this...

Zippers do that when the zipper body opens up a bit.
If the zipper body firmly encloses the teeth, it won't go
off track.

First pry open the zipper body a bit with a screw driver
to get the zipper back on the teeth the right way.

Then use pliers to close the body back up so it grips
the teeth as it should.