Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to get a zipper back on track (must slip 3 "notches")?

On 5 Dec 2008 22:43:07 -0500, (David Combs) wrote:

I stupidly zipped up my coat when I hadn't perfectly
lined-up the bottom ends of the two sides.

(Actually, it's been acting up a bit (getting old?) and
the "male" left side bottom-end doesn't so easily and surely slip into
the matching "female" right side.)

Anyway, it's zipped up a couple of inches, but off by 3 or so
"notches" (due to that male-female problem).

Any idea on how to get it unzipped?

(Wife says "get a new winter jacket" -- but I *like* this
one, and besides Costco hasn't sold anything as good as it
for several years now. It's the best I've ever had -- best
made, etc.)

Ideas?

Thanks!

David

I had the same problem with my trusty winter jacket. Last year it
started half way through the winter and jusk kept getting worse.

After taking it off over my head I could usually wrestle it open - so
I took it to the local talor to see what it would cost for a new
Zipper. He said $49, "but you don't need a zipper"
He said the sliders - or the parts that run up and down and work the
zipper together and back apart were worn out - and a pair, installed,
would set me back $21.

I left him the jacket and picked it up next day - just like new.