Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New nuclear notches up: Minister claims its all his own idea.

The facts:

"Hitachi-GE approached the Department for Energy and Climate Change
earlier in this month seeking GDA for the ABWR design. The move followed
Hitachi's purchase of Horizon Nuclear Power in late October from EOn and
RWE, the German utilities that had planned to build up to four new units
at Wylfa and up to three units at Oldbury. It immediately announced an
intention to deploy ABWRs at the sites."

The spin:

Energy minister John Hayes "We must however be absolutely sure that any
reactor used in this country meets our rigorous safety standards. That's
why I'm asking the Office for Nuclear Regulation (ONR) and the
Environment Agency (EA) to conduct a thorough examination of the reactor
design proposed for the Wylfa and Oldbury sites."

Actually John I'll let you into a secret. That's their ****ing job, you
pompous, out-of-your-depth, stupid ****.

(http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/NN...t-1501134.html)

--