Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default lubrication for oven fan

In article ,
Bill Wright writes:
As per header. What's the best stuff to use?

Sleeve bearings, I presume?

ISTR Geoff covering this a long time ago WRT boiler fans, and
that it needs a special oil which is soaked into the bearings
under special conditions (heat, vacuum, or something like that).
You might be able to find this post on Google.

However, I suspect that if the bearings have got to the point
of you noticing they need attention, they are probably only
temporarily repairable, in which case it probably doesn't
much matter what you use, but you'll want to clean off any
gunked up oil/dirt first.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/13 14:59, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Bill Wright writes:
As per header. What's the best stuff to use?

Sleeve bearings, I presume?

ISTR Geoff covering this a long time ago WRT boiler fans, and
that it needs a special oil which is soaked into the bearings
under special conditions (heat, vacuum, or something like that).
You might be able to find this post on Google.

However, I suspect that if the bearings have got to the point
of you noticing they need attention, they are probably only
temporarily repairable, in which case it probably doesn't
much matter what you use, but you'll want to clean off any
gunked up oil/dirt first.

Experience in model aircraft electric motors equipped with plain
bronze/steel bearings suggests that light machine oil (3 in one) will
cure squeals, but if the bearing has run dry to the point of chattering
and destroyed the bronze, or its its a ball race that has seized,
bearing replacement or a new motor is the only solution.

In this case if light oil doesn't work replace the fan unit complete.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

In this case if light oil doesn't work replace the fan unit complete.

I was assuming that light oil would catch fire in an oven.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/13 15:17, Bill Wright wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

In this case if light oil doesn't work replace the fan unit complete.

I was assuming that light oil would catch fire in an oven.

ovens are really not that hot.

up to 200C at most.

That;s well below the flashpoint of most oils.

And I am fairly sure that most fans blow IN not out. So they are running
a lot cooler than that.

Bill

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/13 15:17, Bill Wright wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

In this case if light oil doesn't work replace the fan unit complete.

I was assuming that light oil would catch fire in an oven.

ovens are really not that hot.

up to 200C at most.

Some go higher.... but on a cleaning cycle,

My parents have just got a new built in oven, it has a feature that when
activated, locks the door and takes the temp upto 600 degrees C, burning off
all grease and crap,

They recently tried it, and said it works brilliantly, just a little bit of
ash on the bottom to sweep out afterwards.

Tho i imagine the fan used on that oven is either well out of the heat, or
uses an oil suitable for the high temps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Gazz" writes:

Some go higher.... but on a cleaning cycle,

My parents have just got a new built in oven, it has a feature that when
activated, locks the door and takes the temp upto 600 degrees C, burning off
all grease and crap,

They recently tried it, and said it works brilliantly, just a little bit of
ash on the bottom to sweep out afterwards.

There must be several other DIY uses for that... ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 2, 3:55*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
On 02/01/13 15:17, Bill Wright wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

In this case if light oil doesn't work replace the fan unit complete.

I was assuming that light oil would catch fire in an oven.

ovens are really not that hot.

up to 200C at most.

That;s well below the flashpoint of most oils.

And I am fairly sure that most fans blow IN not out. So they are running
a lot cooler than that.

The shaft on quality ovens fan motors is fitted with a thermal break
device to stop heat transferring along the shaft
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think it tends to evaporate, not enough of it to actually do much, but I'd
have thought it should be non toxic at least.

I don't fancy Lamb with 3in1 sauce.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

In this case if light oil doesn't work replace the fan unit complete.

I was assuming that light oil would catch fire in an oven.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, January 2, 2013 4:23:55 PM UTC, Gazz wrote:

On 02/01/13 15:17, Bill Wright wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

In this case if light oil doesn't work replace the fan unit complete.

I was assuming that light oil would catch fire in an oven.

ovens are really not that hot.

up to 200C at most.

A "hot" oven is generally 250C. Both my ovens (built-in and combi) have max at 250C, but the built-in one also has a 275C setting for use with the catalytic cleaning mode.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 15:17:22 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

I was assuming that light oil would catch fire in an oven.

Best use whale oil, then.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2013 15:17, Bill Wright wrote:
I was assuming that light oil would catch fire in an oven.

I've found it necessary to re-oil the fan motor in our oven every year
or so for a good many years. No conflagration yet (but some odd smells
immediately after re-oiling). I don't think the fan gets as hot as the
interior of the oven.

--
Clive Page
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
Bill Wright writes:
As per header. What's the best stuff to use?

Sleeve bearings, I presume?

ISTR Geoff covering this a long time ago WRT boiler fans, and
that it needs a special oil which is soaked into the bearings
under special conditions (heat, vacuum, or something like that).
You might be able to find this post on Google.

However, I suspect that if the bearings have got to the point
of you noticing they need attention, they are probably only
temporarily repairable, in which case it probably doesn't
much matter what you use, but you'll want to clean off any
gunked up oil/dirt first.

If the shaft is 6mm, we can generally repair them

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill Wright
writes
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

In this case if light oil doesn't work replace the fan unit complete.

I was assuming that light oil would catch fire in an oven.

In the case of sintered bearings, its absorbed into the phosphor bronze,
its not pooling in the cooker

Ball races don't run in oil, they run in grease. Oil will only give a
temp. fix
--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
harry writes
wrote:
On 02/01/13 15:17, Bill Wright wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

In this case if light oil doesn't work replace the fan unit complete.

I was assuming that light oil would catch fire in an oven.

ovens are really not that hot.

up to 200C at most.

That;s well below the flashpoint of most oils.

And I am fairly sure that most fans blow IN not out. So they are running
a lot cooler than that.

The shaft on quality ovens fan motors is fitted with a thermal break
device to stop heat transferring along the shaft

Really ?

and just when you were doing so well ...

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
wrote:

I was assuming that light oil would catch fire in an oven.

Best use whale oil, then.

What,. After the initial application of snake oil in the advertising
department?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 02/01/13 15:17, Bill Wright wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

In this case if light oil doesn't work replace the fan unit complete.

I was assuming that light oil would catch fire in an oven.

ovens are really not that hot.

up to 200C at most.

That;s well below the flashpoint of most oils.

And I am fairly sure that most fans blow IN not out. So they are running
a lot cooler than that.

The shaft on quality ovens fan motors

High quality?
Low quality?
E quality?

ITWSBT.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 15:55:25 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 02/01/13 15:17, Bill Wright wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

In this case if light oil doesn't work replace the fan unit complete.

I was assuming that light oil would catch fire in an oven.

ovens are really not that hot.

up to 200C at most.

That;s well below the flashpoint of most oils.

And I am fairly sure that most fans blow IN not out. So they are running
a lot cooler than that.

Don't the fans merely circulate the air? So the temperature will be
much the same whether sucking or blowing...

In fact, don't they have two fans - one to circulate the hot air and
another to cool the outer casing, which is of course the one that runs
on after you've turned the oven off?

I think I'd be considering graphite or PTFE for lubrication at these
sorts of temperature.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 3, 10:50*pm, geoff wrote:
In message
,
harry writes

wrote:
On 02/01/13 15:17, Bill Wright wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

In this case if light oil doesn't work replace the fan unit complete.

I was assuming that light oil would catch fire in an oven.

ovens are really not that hot.

up to 200C at most.

That;s well below the flashpoint of most oils.

And I am fairly sure that most fans blow IN not out. So they are running
a lot cooler than that.

The shaft on quality ovens fan motors is fitted with a thermal break
device to stop heat transferring along the shaft

Really ?

and just when you were doing so well ...

--
geoff

Yes really. I used to repair them years ago.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

The motor is not subjected to oven temperatures and neither are the
bearings, they wouldn't last two minutes and as I said, the motor
shafts on the better fan ovens have a thermal break to keep motor and
bearings cooler.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/01/13 22:48, geoff wrote:
In message , Bill Wright
writes
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

In this case if light oil doesn't work replace the fan unit complete.

I was assuming that light oil would catch fire in an oven.

In the case of sintered bearings, its absorbed into the phosphor bronze,
its not pooling in the cooker

Ball races don't run in oil, they run in grease. Oil will only give a
temp. fix

usual error.

Ball races of a light variety will seize in grease.

You need a very light anit-corrosion protection or nothing muvjh at all
fora ball race.

Only stuff under big lateral forces needs any 'lubrication'

Anyway the result is the same: once ball races go, there is no way back
usually.,

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 4, 1:57*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
[...]

Well if you buy a new ball race, it will be packed in grease.

Ball races should not be subject to lateral forces unless they are
taper ball races.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

that entirely depends on the ball race.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
harry writes
On Jan 3, 10:50*pm, geoff wrote:
In message
,
harry writes

wrote:
On 02/01/13 15:17, Bill Wright wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

In this case if light oil doesn't work replace the fan unit complete.

I was assuming that light oil would catch fire in an oven.

ovens are really not that hot.

up to 200C at most.

That;s well below the flashpoint of most oils.

And I am fairly sure that most fans blow IN not out. So they are running
a lot cooler than that.

The shaft on quality ovens fan motors is fitted with a thermal break
device to stop heat transferring along the shaft

Really ?

and just when you were doing so well ...

--
geoff

Yes really. I used to repair them years ago.

You used to do all sorts of things years ago ...

Unfortunately, they world has moved on and left you behind.

I repair them now

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 03/01/13 22:48, geoff wrote:
In message , Bill Wright
writes
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

In this case if light oil doesn't work replace the fan unit complete.

I was assuming that light oil would catch fire in an oven.

In the case of sintered bearings, its absorbed into the phosphor bronze,
its not pooling in the cooker

Ball races don't run in oil, they run in grease. Oil will only give a
temp. fix

usual error.

Ball races of a light variety will seize in grease.

Burt we're not talking about miniature ones as found in e.g. hard
drives, these are predominantly 626ZZ (or as I use VV), I buy a couple
of thousand at a time - they run in grease

You need a very light anit-corrosion protection or nothing muvjh at all
fora ball race.

You're out of your comfort zone there

Only stuff under big lateral forces needs any 'lubrication'

Anyway the result is the same: once ball races go, there is no way back

usually.,

You got it right there

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

So, shall we stick to the ones for the function in question then?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 4, 9:42*pm, geoff wrote:
In message
,
harry writes

On Jan 3, 10:50*pm, geoff wrote:
In message
,
harry writes

wrote:
[...]

I moved on from that job.
The ones with thermal breaks didn't fail.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Well if you buy a new ball race, it will be packed in grease.

Ball races should not be subject to lateral forces unless they are
taper ball races.

that entirely depends on the ball race.

Try angular contact ones:-)

I think bearings fitted with sideplates during manufacture would be
packed with grease. Taper rollers and bearings intended to be lubricated
by the user might just be oiled.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
harry writes
On Jan 4, 9:42*pm, geoff wrote:
In message
,
harry writes

The shaft on quality ovens fan motors is fitted with a thermal break
device to stop heat transferring along the shaft

Really ?

and just when you were doing so well ...

--
geoff

Yes really. I used to repair them years ago.

You used to do all sorts of things years ago ...

Unfortunately, they world has moved on and left you behind.

* I repair them now

--
geoff

I moved on from that job.
The ones with thermal breaks didn't fail.

Nobody would fit one now

As I said - the world has moved on

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Gazz, notrub wrote:
Lol @ 600 degrees C - you mean Fahrenheit! About 315 C

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...an-862234-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2016 16:44, notrub wrote:
replying to Gazz, notrub wrote:
Lol @ 600 degrees C - you mean Fahrenheit! About 315 C

Now that might have been funny 3 years ago, but not now?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Gazz, JT wrote:
I think you meant degrees F. 600 degrees C would be over 1100 degrees F, way
too hot for built in oven.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...an-862234-.htm

Drilling lubrication Michael Koblic Metalworking 5 June 22nd 08 01:10 AM
Lubrication of an old motor Ignoramus11967 Metalworking 30 November 20th 07 04:52 PM
Treadmill lubrication Fentoozler UK diy 13 May 3rd 06 03:28 AM
TS Lubrication TinWoodsmn Woodworking 16 April 17th 06 06:41 PM
ceiling fan lubrication? G.T. Tyson Home Repair 3 July 20th 05 11:51 AM