Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drilling lubrication

My new drill press has all kinds of cool features I never had before. One of
them is a bottle with a control-flow spout to run lubricating fluid while
drilling.

Many years ago I used water mixed with light mineral oil, dripping it onto
stuff manually. More recently I have been just applying Rapid Tap from time
to time (generally I have not been drilling big holes).

What does everyone use these days? Specifically, given the ability of
continuous flow of lubricant and its collection under the table (and
recycling??).

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

They sell a water soluble oil just for this purpose. The oil prevents
rusting of the iron, and the water cools better than straight oil. Some
systems use compresses air to mist the solution other systems flood cool and
circulate the fluid.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
rvecommunications...
My new drill press has all kinds of cool features I never had before. One

of
them is a bottle with a control-flow spout to run lubricating fluid while
drilling.

Many years ago I used water mixed with light mineral oil, dripping it onto
stuff manually. More recently I have been just applying Rapid Tap from

time
to time (generally I have not been drilling big holes).

What does everyone use these days? Specifically, given the ability of
continuous flow of lubricant and its collection under the table (and
recycling??).

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Interesting.
"Water-soluble oil" sounds almost an oxymoron. Do you have any trade names?
Also, a supplementary question: Is there any benefit in keeping the cooling
fluid as cool as possible? By that I mean for instance dropping ice cubes
into the container prior to starting drilling?

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message
They sell a water soluble oil just for this purpose. The oil prevents
rusting of the iron, and the water cools better than straight oil. Some
systems use compresses air to mist the solution other systems flood cool
and
circulate the fluid.

--

Roger Shoaf

About the time I had mastered getting the toothpaste back in the tube,
then
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
munications,
"Michael Koblic" wrote:

Interesting.
"Water-soluble oil" sounds almost an oxymoron. Do you have any trade names?

Rustlick WS-5050 is what I use. MSC et al sell it in one gallon
containers, and one gallon makes 15 or 20 gallons of emulsion.

The key is detergent. That's what allows the oil to emulsify into water.

Also, a supplementary question: Is there any benefit in keeping the cooling
fluid as cool as possible? By that I mean for instance dropping ice cubes
into the container prior to starting drilling?

The cooling is to keep the metal at the cutting point from achieving
welding temperatures, so any reasonable fluid will do (compared to air).
Oil is traditional, but messy. Water has a particularly high heat
capacity, even before it boils. The combination works very well.

So don't bother with the ice cubes.

Joe Gwinn

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 21, 12:52*am, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
More recently I have been just applying Rapid Tap from time
to time (generally I have not been drilling big holes).

What does everyone use these days? Specifically, given the ability of
continuous flow of lubricant and its collection under the table (and
recycling??).
Michael Koblic,

I use as little as I can get away with to avoid cleanup. This
afternoon the channel iron drilled nicely dry, the welded hot-rolled
steel under it wanted oil and the tap received fancy tapping fluid.
The rest of the holes all got the tapping fluid for drilling as well.
The job is a sheet metal brake and cutting oil might get onto the
window flashing I'm making. http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL

When I write that a tool 'wanted' something it means experience shows
how well it is cutting. I got that experience by starting dry, then
adding oil, then tapping fluid and observing the differences in chips,
handle pressure, machine sounds, bit & work heating, how fast it
dulled, and so on. Put a little oil on the bit and watch for subtle
changes when it's gone. If you are drilling a few holes at a moderate
spindle speed, cutting oil or coolant isn't really necessary.

Jim Wilkins

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
Yeah. Whyn't keep a 100 lb. block of ice next to the vise on your drill
press table. You could
drill into it to cool those bits off nicely.

You are kidding, right? How am I gonna keep the beer cool if the block is
melting all over the shop floor? That would not do at all!
I suppose one could save up all the drilling for Saturdays and use the
left-over ice sculpture from all the gay weddings...