Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default Drilling lubrication

Interesting.
"Water-soluble oil" sounds almost an oxymoron. Do you have any trade names?
Also, a supplementary question: Is there any benefit in keeping the cooling
fluid as cool as possible? By that I mean for instance dropping ice cubes
into the container prior to starting drilling?

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message
They sell a water soluble oil just for this purpose. The oil prevents
rusting of the iron, and the water cools better than straight oil. Some
systems use compresses air to mist the solution other systems flood cool
and
circulate the fluid.

--

Roger Shoaf

About the time I had mastered getting the toothpaste back in the tube,
then
they come up with this striped stuff.

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
rvecommunications...
My new drill press has all kinds of cool features I never had before. One

of
them is a bottle with a control-flow spout to run lubricating fluid while
drilling.

Many years ago I used water mixed with light mineral oil, dripping it
onto
stuff manually. More recently I have been just applying Rapid Tap from

time
to time (generally I have not been drilling big holes).

What does everyone use these days? Specifically, given the ability of
continuous flow of lubricant and its collection under the table (and
recycling??).

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC