Posted to rec.woodworking
TinWoodsmn

Default TS Lubrication

Does anyone have a favorite lubrication for the blade height and angle
setting gears on a cabinet saw? Anything to steer clear of? Best way to
clean out the old sawdust?

Thanks.

Tin Woodsmn

Posted to rec.woodworking
Markem

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 18:15:54 -0700, "TinWoodsmn" wrote:

Does anyone have a favorite lubrication for the blade height and angle
setting gears on a cabinet saw? Anything to steer clear of? Best way to
clean out the old sawdust?

TFE based lubes, oils and sawdust do mix very well to a lovely paste.
Vacum, then don dust mask, and blast away with compressed air (2 20
inch fans blowing out the garage doors).

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"TinWoodsmn" wrote in message
Does anyone have a favorite lubrication for the blade height and angle
setting gears on a cabinet saw? Anything to steer clear of? Best way to
clean out the old sawdust?

Boeshield T9 works real well for me, any lubricant that doesn't dry or
contains silicone; air compressor.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"TinWoodsmn" wrote in message
Does anyone have a favorite lubrication for the blade height and angle
setting gears on a cabinet saw? Anything to steer clear of? Best way to
clean out the old sawdust?

Thanks.

Tin Woodsmn

I blow out and then blast with Brake Cleaner from an aerosol can. Follow
that with BoeShield T9.

Posted to rec.woodworking
C & E

"TinWoodsmn" wrote in message
Does anyone have a favorite lubrication for the blade height and angle
setting gears on a cabinet saw? Anything to steer clear of? Best way to
clean out the old sawdust?

Thanks.

Tin Woodsmn

I suppose that you're speaking of how to clean the large, threaded rods. I
used a couple of brushes to know off the grease/ sawdust combo and then,
dipped a narrow brush in some mineral spirits to further clean off the
remaining grease, drying with a rag. To lubricate I used powdered graphite
and rand the assembly through its range of motion.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pounds on Wood

"TinWoodsmn" wrote in message
Does anyone have a favorite lubrication for the blade height and angle
setting gears on a cabinet saw? Anything to steer clear of? Best way to
clean out the old sawdust?

Thanks.

Tin Woodsmn

I just use a block of paraffin wax (canning wax) and rub along the lead
screws. It does the job and does not show much love for sawdust. Boeshield
seems too light bodied for lubricating a lead screw. It would be good to
prevent rust and might be good combined with wax.
--
********
Bill Pounds

Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y

TinWoodsmn wrote:
Does anyone have a favorite lubrication for the blade height and angle
setting gears on a cabinet saw? A

I really like "White Lightning", a wax based chain lube available in
bicycle shops. WL dries to a non-sticky waxy film that flakes off as
you use it.

Great stuff!

Barry
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Pounds on Wood" wrote in message

I just use a block of paraffin wax (canning wax) and rub along the lead
screws. It does the job and does not show much love for sawdust.

Boeshield
seems too light bodied for lubricating a lead screw. It would be good to
prevent rust and might be good combined with wax.

BoeShield T9 _is_ combined with wax ... that's one of the reasons it works
well for this application.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Sailaway

BobS Wrote:
A formula I've been using for a number of years now is:

Johnson's or any paste wax similar to it
Graphite powder - small tube from auto store used for lubing locks.
Couple of drops of mineral spirits
Baby jar
SNIP

I lubed mine with a powder called Molylube from Bel-Ray. Had a gallon
can of it so I thought I'd give it a try, and it seems to work great. I
don't know what's in it - its a gray powder that seems to spread like a
virus and gets on everything while you're working with it, but its
really slippery and yet sticks well to the threads. Anyone out there
know what the composition of this stuff is?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Gorman

Sailaway wrote:
BobS Wrote:
A formula I've been using for a number of years now is:

Johnson's or any paste wax similar to it
Graphite powder - small tube from auto store used for lubing locks.
Couple of drops of mineral spirits
Baby jar
SNIP

I lubed mine with a powder called Molylube from Bel-Ray. Had a gallon
can of it so I thought I'd give it a try, and it seems to work great. I
don't know what's in it - its a gray powder that seems to spread like a
virus and gets on everything while you're working with it, but its
really slippery and yet sticks well to the threads. Anyone out there
know what the composition of this stuff is?

Looks like it's a trade secret
http://www.timken.com/industries/ind...P1%2010447.pdf
just don't breathe it or use instead of visine.
Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking
hylourgos

TinWoodsmn wrote:
Does anyone have a favorite lubrication for the blade height and angle
setting gears on a cabinet saw? Anything to steer clear of? Best way to
clean out the old sawdust?

Thanks.

Tin Woodsmn

Fish tape lube w/ graphite

contains wax, is extra slippery, does not attract dust, long lasting,
inexpensive and abundant

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Joe Gorman wrote:
Sailaway wrote:

BobS Wrote:
A formula I've been using for a number of years now is:

Johnson's or any paste wax similar to it
Graphite powder - small tube from auto store used for lubing locks.
Couple of drops of mineral spirits
Baby jar
SNIP

I lubed mine with a powder called Molylube from Bel-Ray. Had a gallon
can of it so I thought I'd give it a try, and it seems to work great.
I don't know what's in it - its a gray powder that seems to spread
like a virus and gets on everything while you're working with it, but
its really slippery and yet sticks well to the threads. Anyone out
there know what the composition of this stuff is?

Looks like it's a trade secret
http://www.timken.com/industries/ind...P1%2010447.pdf

Trade secret? Molybdenum disulfide (a variation on lithium grease?),
and silica.

URL:http://www.lub-o-seal.com/products/msds/MSDS-MOLY.pdf

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Joe Gorman wrote:
Enoch Root wrote:

Joe Gorman wrote:

Sailaway wrote:

BobS Wrote:
[...]

I was referring to Section 2, which lists the ingredients.
Joe

Sorry, I looked up some other product. It's a powder, but it's not
Bel-Ray. I had no idea you could hide your components from an MSDS
page. All it says is metallic oxides, but there are six (?IIRC) other
secret spices even if one is Molybdenum disulfide.

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
George E. Cawthon

Sailaway wrote:
BobS Wrote:
A formula I've been using for a number of years now is:

Johnson's or any paste wax similar to it
Graphite powder - small tube from auto store used for lubing locks.
Couple of drops of mineral spirits
Baby jar
SNIP

I lubed mine with a powder called Molylube from Bel-Ray. Had a gallon
can of it so I thought I'd give it a try, and it seems to work great. I
don't know what's in it - its a gray powder that seems to spread like a
virus and gets on everything while you're working with it, but its
really slippery and yet sticks well to the threads. Anyone out there
know what the composition of this stuff is?

You had a gallon? Molylube is probably just a
brand name, but It is probably just molybdenum
disulfide.

Molybdenum disulfide is usually ground much finer
than graphite and is a way superior lubricant.
Used as a dry lubricant in lots of applications
from sliding joints to bullets. Sometimes in an
alcohol or other base that evaporates.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Sailaway

Joe Gorman wrote:

Enoch Root wrote:

Joe Gorman wrote:

Sailaway wrote:

BobS Wrote:
[...]

I just looked at the can and found the part #: Molylube 16. It is a
powder, not a grease like in the above msds. The grease form may be a
variation on the one I have, and the petroleum content of the grease may
account for the off gasses and fire hazard warnings. It looks to be a
fairly old can, so maybe they aren't using the #16 designation anymore
since it isn't listed on their web site. Since I don't know what's in it
I use a respirator when I am working with it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bugs

I lubed mine with a powder called Molylube from Bel-Ray. Had a gallon
can of it so I thought I'd give it a try, and it seems to work great. I

don't know what's in it - its a gray powder that seems to spread like a

virus and gets on everything while you're working with it, but its
really slippery and yet sticks well to the threads. Anyone out there
know what the composition of this stuff is?

Molybdenum Disulfide. Used to lubricate gun mechanisms without gumming
them up. Good stuff, and expensive.
Bugs

Posted to rec.woodworking
RM MS

Johnson's paste wax in the yellow can is cheap and easy to apply with a
small paintbrush. Sawdust is not attracted to it as to oil