Rob Mitchell

Default Dust collector, noisy and no lubrication?

I recently bought an el-cheapo 1hp dust collector ($160CDN new!) The
thing works great, and the overall finish was pretty good for such a
cheap unit.

However, when I shut the motor/impeller off, it spins for a second, then
I hear what sounds like a centifugal clutch dropping out. Then,
something inside spins down but there is NO lubrication and it
screetches like a banshee. Direct metal on metal.

I don't mind taking it apart to fix it. Can anyone point me in the
correct place to start looking just based on my description? (I should
post an mp3!)

Thanks
Rob

Leon

"Rob Mitchell" wrote in message
. ..
I recently bought an el-cheapo 1hp dust collector ($160CDN new!) The thing
works great, and the overall finish was pretty good for such a cheap unit.

However, when I shut the motor/impeller off, it spins for a second, then I
hear what sounds like a centifugal clutch dropping out. Then, something
inside spins down but there is NO lubrication and it screetches like a
banshee. Direct metal on metal.

I don't mind taking it apart to fix it. Can anyone point me in the
correct place to start looking just based on my description? (I should
post an mp3!)

I am guessing bushings instead of bearings in the motor and they have pooped
out already.

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 00:30:14 -0500, Rob Mitchell
wrote:

I recently bought an el-cheapo 1hp dust collector ($160CDN new!) The
thing works great, and the overall finish was pretty good for such a
cheap unit.

However, when I shut the motor/impeller off, it spins for a second, then
I hear what sounds like a centifugal clutch dropping out. Then,
something inside spins down but there is NO lubrication and it
screetches like a banshee. Direct metal on metal.

I don't mind taking it apart to fix it. Can anyone point me in the
correct place to start looking just based on my description? (I should
post an mp3!)

Thanks
Rob

I'd be looking for a fan blade rubbing the shroud.
bakerhardwoods

wrote:

I recently bought an el-cheapo 1hp dust collector ($160CDN new!) The
thing works great, and the overall finish was pretty good for such a
cheap unit.

However, when I shut the motor/impeller off, it spins for a second, then
I hear what sounds like a centifugal clutch dropping out. Then,
something inside spins down but there is NO lubrication and it
screetches like a banshee. Direct metal on metal.

I don't mind taking it apart to fix it. Can anyone point me in the
correct place to start looking just based on my description? (I should
post an mp3!)

Thanks
Rob

I'd be looking for a fan blade rubbing the shroud.

I too would suggest that the fan is loose on the shaft.

Josh

I would be looking for the banshee. That seems like it would be a problem.

~Josh.

"The one who dies with the most tools wins."