Peter

Default What kind of grease for nylon/nylon and nylon/metal lubrication?

I am fixing my VHS recorder and the fault seems to be that the
metal/nylon widget was not sliding freely. By adding a bit more of the
lubricant from an excess on a different part of the mechanism the
system came to life and no longer eats tapes.

My question is what exactly is, and where do I buy lubricant or grease
designed for nylon/nylon or nylon/metal interfaces?

Is there a lubricants FAQ for this?
fred

In article , Peter
writes
I am fixing my VHS recorder and the fault seems to be that the
metal/nylon widget was not sliding freely. By adding a bit more of the
lubricant from an excess on a different part of the mechanism the
system came to life and no longer eats tapes.

My question is what exactly is, and where do I buy lubricant or grease
designed for nylon/nylon or nylon/metal interfaces?

Is there a lubricants FAQ for this?

It was certainly a recently asked question, have a google groups for
sinclair gearbox plus plastic gears and you should find it. It was a guy
wanting lube for his Sinclair C5 (still makes me laugh that Citroen
introduced a model with the same name).
--
fred
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Peter writes:
I am fixing my VHS recorder and the fault seems to be that the
metal/nylon widget was not sliding freely. By adding a bit more of the
lubricant from an excess on a different part of the mechanism the
system came to life and no longer eats tapes.

My question is what exactly is, and where do I buy lubricant or grease
designed for nylon/nylon or nylon/metal interfaces?

Is there a lubricants FAQ for this?

Castrol works best for Formula 1 videos.
Some butter or olive oil is best for Asiley Harriot or Gary Rhodes videos.
Finish Line is good for cycling videos.
Sunscreen works well for Baywatch videos.
Soap is good for Coronation Street videos, with a bit of
vaseline for fast-forwarding through the nappy adverts.
KY is best for the home-made porno videos.

It all depends which you watch...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Andy Wade

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

It all depends which you watch...

Very good, but for a more serious answer I've found RS stock no.
175-5880 (aka Electrolube SPG35SL) quite good for this sort of thing.

The RS blurb says: "A synthetic grease with outstanding low temperature
performance and excellent compatibility with thermoplastics, including
ABS and polycarbonate even at elevated temperatures. Formulated to
ensure compatibility with metals commonly used in the manufacture of
electrical switches, ideal to reduce wear in timers and other
plastic/plastic friction points."

--
Andy
Peter

Perfect, thanks Andy

..., but for a more serious answer I've found RS stock no.
175-5880 (aka Electrolube SPG35SL) quite good for this sort of thing.

Newshound

Silicone "plumbers" grease for plastic fittings should also be OK. The
problem with any greases in things like video recorders IMHO is that they
all collect dust whatever the chemical formulation and it is usually best to
keep the quantities as low as possible. In industry, solid lubricants are
often used on chains for this reason.

The Natural Philosopher

Peter wrote:

I am fixing my VHS recorder and the fault seems to be that the
metal/nylon widget was not sliding freely. By adding a bit more of the
lubricant from an excess on a different part of the mechanism the
system came to life and no longer eats tapes.

My question is what exactly is, and where do I buy lubricant or grease
designed for nylon/nylon or nylon/metal interfaces?

Is there a lubricants FAQ for this?

silicone grease generally works well.

Peter wrote:
I am fixing my VHS recorder and the fault seems to be that the
metal/nylon widget was not sliding freely. By adding a bit more of the
lubricant from an excess on a different part of the mechanism the
system came to life and no longer eats tapes.

My question is what exactly is, and where do I buy lubricant or grease
designed for nylon/nylon or nylon/metal interfaces?

Greasy grease. Anything, as long as you dont use butter or marge, as
they oxidise after a year or so and turn to glue.

NT