Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fentoozler

Default Treadmill lubrication

What would be a good (and readily available) substance to use for
lubrication between the rotating rubber mat and smooth bed of a treadmill?
I've tried Johnson's Baby Oil, but it doesn't seem to cut the mustard!

Angus

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Fentoozler wrote:
What would be a good (and readily available) substance to use for
lubrication between the rotating rubber mat and smooth bed of a
treadmill? I've tried Johnson's Baby Oil, but it doesn't seem to cut
the mustard!

Angus

If I'm reading this right? wouldn't lubricating both perform a slippage?

Why do need to lubricate?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fentoozler

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
Fentoozler wrote:
What would be a good (and readily available) substance to use for
lubrication between the rotating rubber mat and smooth bed of a
treadmill? I've tried Johnson's Baby Oil, but it doesn't seem to cut
the mustard!

Angus

If I'm reading this right? wouldn't lubricating both perform a slippage?

Why do need to lubricate?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The area requiring lubrucatiion is the area between the moving surface
(powered by a belt driven motor) and the flat non-moving surface directly
beneath it, therefore requiring minimal friction.

Angus

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Johnsons baby oil - are you serious or taking the p***?

That I would guess is vegetable oil derived so will break down/dry
out/become a sticky goo in air.

You need either a mineral based lubricant (wd40/lubricating
oil/vaseline/parafin wax - some of which may attack rubber - be
careful) or a dry lubricant (PTFE spray).

What was in there originally? What does the manufacturer recommend?

I'd have thought treadmills would use a sheet of ptfe plastic (or lots
of rollers) and run dry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fentoozler

wrote in message
ups.com...
Johnsons baby oil - are you serious or taking the p***?

That I would guess is vegetable oil derived so will break down/dry
out/become a sticky goo in air.

You need either a mineral based lubricant (wd40/lubricating
oil/vaseline/parafin wax - some of which may attack rubber - be
careful) or a dry lubricant (PTFE spray).

What was in there originally? What does the manufacturer recommend?

I'd have thought treadmills would use a sheet of ptfe plastic (or lots
of rollers) and run dry.

Baby oil is parafin based.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Baby oil is parafin based.

Apologies for tart tone - you learn something everyday!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Fentoozler nospam@mapson wrote:
What would be a good (and readily available) substance to use for
lubrication between the rotating rubber mat and smooth bed of a
treadmill? I've tried Johnson's Baby Oil, but it doesn't seem to cut
the mustard!

One lubricant which won't hurt rubber or dry out is red rubber grease used
in car hydraulic systems to lubricate the rubber seals on assembly.

It's available in tubes or standard grease tubs from good car spares
places or online from the likes of Frost.

http://www.frost.co.uk

and search on 'rubber grease'

--
*What am I? Flypaper for freaks!?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Hughes

In article , Fentoozler
writes
What would be a good (and readily available) substance to use for
lubrication between the rotating rubber mat and smooth bed of a treadmill?
I've tried Johnson's Baby Oil, but it doesn't seem to cut the mustard!

Angus

One that I know of came with some silicone oil for this. Don't know how
easily available it is though.
--
Phil Hughes
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Don't be silly, you'll fall off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message . com,
" writes
Johnsons baby oil - are you serious or taking the p***?

That I would guess is vegetable oil derived

Or not ...

so will break down/dry
out/become a sticky goo in air.

You need either a mineral based lubricant (wd40

A water repellent - are you serious or taking the p***?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

Baby oil is parafin based.

You mean it isn't rendered down babies?

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 16:39:45 GMT, raden wrote:

You need either a mineral based lubricant (wd40

A water repellent - are you serious or taking the p***?

Must be taking the p***, the last thing you want near real rubber is a
mineral oil. Personally I'd try powdered graphite or talcum powder.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chips

Fentoozler wrote:
What would be a good (and readily available) substance to use for
lubrication between the rotating rubber mat and smooth bed of a treadmill?
I've tried Johnson's Baby Oil, but it doesn't seem to cut the mustard!

Angus

Have I stumbled onto some cheap porn site ?

--
-----------
Chips'll make it better.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
Fentoozler nospam@mapson wrote:
What would be a good (and readily available) substance to use for
lubrication between the rotating rubber mat and smooth bed of a treadmill?
I've tried Johnson's Baby Oil, but it doesn't seem to cut the mustard!

Depending on what the 'rubber' actually is, there's a fair chance that
oils will seriously damage it. Clean the belt and the base thoroughly
with detergent then give them a good spray with silicone furniture
polish and buff it up.