ROBMURR

Default Troubleshooting treadmill motor help

I have a Weslo 815 treadmill I am trying to find out why it bogs down
once I step on the tread belt...any suggestions welcome.
I got this used and want to fix it up.
Here is what I know. With the aid of my multimeter and the
troublshooting instructions inside my treadmill I find.
1. Motor DC 90 volt powered via motor contol board.
I cleaned the brushes and the armature with 1500 grit sandpaper
to smooth them up, they were arcing, now work fine.
Tested continuity all round the motor, looks fine.
Tested resistance all round the motor, about 3.5 ohms avg.
Cleaned any grease off belt pulley. No way to lube bearings
but motor shaft turns ok. Can run it to top speed without me
on it but bogs way down when I get on. Belt adjusted and no
slipping noticed. Motor does not overheat..
2. Controller board. All tests done on it show the motor is getting
volts and amps per the specs except the sliding speed control
specs say it should rise up to about 5k at max mine shows
up to about 9k ohms. At about medium speed the
amps are about 1.5 amps without me on it, when I get on it
the amps raise to about 2.75 amps as it slows down...
Once is slows down it never recovers to the proper speed...
At maximum speed it is getting about 2.5 amps which specs
say is correct....

So at this point I am thinking maybe the motor is going bad...
It is about 8 years old and really too small for this application...
Any other tests I can do?
Thanks
Rob

Bodgey

Hi

I have a Weslo 835 which has problems, could you tell me where you got the
service manual for it, as I need one to fix mine.

"ROBMURR" wrote in message
[...]

Rheilly Phoull

"ROBMURR" wrote in message
[...]

Sure sounds like belt slip somewhere to me !!

--
Regards ............... Rheilly Phoull

Len

Is it bogging down or is it slipping somewhere?

If its slipping it could be many things.

If it is indeed bogging down there is a special oil that needs to be put
on the underside of the track, most place that sell the machines sell
the oil in little tubes and most are reluctant to tell you about oiling
them, takes service money out of their pockets.
Thing is the track and the deck get dry and needs a little lube, not
sure what its made of but its made so that it won't eat the rubber and
is long lasting, my dad in the past 5 years has only used to things of
it on his, its not a weslo though.

On 24 Dec 2003 17:10:01 GMT, (ROBMURR) wrote:

[...]

REMOVE the NOCRAP in my address to reply.

Yuuper

It is the armature current that flows through the brushes and the
commutator. Many DC motors have a motor field winding that is isolated from
the armature. This motor requires a current to flow through the field
winding. If no current, or too little current flows through the field, the
motor torque will be greatly reduced, as yours is. Some DC motors have the
field winding wired internally in series with the armature. If not, and the
controller also has a separate motor field current source built into it, it
could be the problem. Some DC motors have permanent magnets and do not have
a field winding and so don't require field current. You said the motor does
not overheat, so that indicates that it is not a loading problem. I guess we
need to know more about your motor and controller to troubleshoot this
further.
"ROBMURR" wrote in message
[...]

ROBMURR

I have a Weslo 835 which has problems, could you tell me where you got the
service manual for it, as I need one to fix mine.

Mine has troubleshooting instructions inside the area that
holds the motor and electronics pasted inside.
Hope that helps.
ROBMURR

It is the armature current that flows through the brushes and the
commutator. Many DC motors have a motor field winding that is isolated from
the armature. This motor requires a current to flow through the field
winding. If no current, or too little current flows through the field, the
motor torque will be greatly reduced, as yours is. Some DC motors have the
field winding wired internally in series with the armature. If not, and the
controller also has a separate motor field current source built into it, it
could be the problem. Some DC motors have permanent magnets and do not have
a field winding and so don't require field current. You said the motor does
not overheat, so that indicates that it is not a loading problem. I guess we
need to know more about your motor and controller to troubleshoot this

Thanks for the help. It is a permanent magnet motor. I see no slipping
of the drive belt and the tread belt surface that it runs on is clean and
quite slick...It just feels like it is a tired motor...I will verify if the
belt
is slipping with some chalk on the belt and pulley may show something.
Oh yeah I am only 175 lbs heavy!
Rob
ROBMURR

An update by the original poster...
I went to Sears to try a similar new treadmill to see the difference..one thing
was that the track part slid effortlessly...
you could nearly walk on it without turning
on the motor...mine is no where near
that smooth! So I suspect a track/roller
problem and I am sure it needs some
lube on the deck too. Troubleshooting the
motor and controller board show no
problems...I have sent an email to
the maker for their advice. Thanks All.
Rob
ROBMURR

Default Troubleshooting treadmill motor help Fixed.

Well I determined thru testing that it looked like the controller and motor
were
doing their job so I looked to the belt and
deck for some friction problems...Well
someone had slopped on some kind of
wax that once warm would start to stick!
It held dirt too and dirt/wax was stuck to
the back of the belt also!
So I tore it all down and tried to remove the
wax..I used a heat gun,putty knife, citrus
cleaner, wire brush, 409, carb cleaner,
castrol super cleaner and 1500 grit sand
paper! nothing worked. Tried a product
called Greased Lightning and a scrub pad
and it came right off! Took the belt to the
car wash and used the greased lightning
on it and hot high pressure water and it
cleaned up nicely. Now I have taken the
clean deck board and used some 1500
grit sandpaper to smooth it and then used
some Pledge furniture wax with an orbital
buffer for a super slick board and it works
as well as it ever did now! I also lubed the
rollers but they were pretty smooth any
way. I also used some automotive belt
dressing on the drive belt, it wont slip
with that stuff on there.
Thanks for the replys.