Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default fan oven fan failure

Hello,

Last year I bought a Hotpoint fan oven. A year later the fan in the
oven does not turn and just hums. Hotpoint want £70 for someone to
come and look at it. I think I reported it to them just before the
year's warranty ran out, so I am a bit disappointed that they have not
been more helpful.

It is a shame that the fan has failed after just twelve months. The
oven that it replaced must have been over ten years old and the fan
was still going strong.

If I spin the fan, by spinning the blades with something when the
power is off, when I turn the oven on again, the fan will spin.

What is causing this and what is the solution? Should I just replace
the fan or can the one I have be repaired?

Another, more cosmetic, issue is that the neon (?) light that
illuminates when the oven element is on, has fallen of whatever it is
attached to inside the fascia and the lens has fallen off the
exterior.

I don't know whether this means I have been unlucky or whether it is a
sign of shoddy workmanship? As it happens, this was the second oven
they sent me as the first had the shelves installed at a slope!

I knew when I bought it that Hotpoint was a budget brand, but I could
not see the point of spending £800 on an expensive brand and I could
not afford that either. However I would have expected it to last
better than it has.

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stephen writes:
Hello,

Last year I bought a Hotpoint fan oven. A year later the fan in the
oven does not turn and just hums. Hotpoint want £70 for someone to
come and look at it. I think I reported it to them just before the
year's warranty ran out, so I am a bit disappointed that they have not
been more helpful.

How much was it?
They are liable for up to 6 years (providing you would
reasonably have expected the item to last that long).

Read up on this on the web first, e.g.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sho...exchange#goods

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have an older Hotpoint fan oven. I haven't come across this fault but my
cooker element failed like a firework when cooking, after 10 years. I did
the repair so I'll try to make suggestions....

--
OlavM
Overlooking the Clyde where it meets the Sea
"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

Last year I bought a Hotpoint fan oven. A year later the fan in the
oven does not turn and just hums. Hotpoint want £70 for someone to
come and look at it. I think I reported it to them just before the
year's warranty ran out, so I am a bit disappointed that they have not
been more helpful.

It is a shame that the fan has failed after just twelve months. The
oven that it replaced must have been over ten years old and the fan
was still going strong.

If I spin the fan, by spinning the blades with something when the
power is off, when I turn the oven on again, the fan will spin.

What is causing this and what is the solution? Should I just replace
the fan or can the one I have be repaired?

Do I understand correctly? You spin the fan and turn power on when fan is
still moving...if so my guess is that the motor is a single phase split pole
motor. And a component (capacitor) within motor has failed. No repair is
possible, install new motor. Others with more electonic knowledge may add
further advice...

Another, more cosmetic, issue is that the neon (?) light that
illuminates when the oven element is on, has fallen of whatever it is
attached to inside the fascia and the lens has fallen off the
exterior.

I don't know whether this means I have been unlucky or whether it is a
sign of shoddy workmanship? As it happens, this was the second oven
they sent me as the first had the shelves installed at a slope!

In mine you gain access to back by removing two side panels then rear
panel.All screws. This reveals element and lamp holder. POWER OFF!

I knew when I bought it that Hotpoint was a budget brand, but I could
not see the point of spending £800 on an expensive brand and I could
not afford that either. However I would have expected it to last
better than it has.

You are correct to expect it should last longer. I fear though, to go down
the not fit for purpose route, as suggested by another poster, may meet a "
you prove it, with technical inspection reports" response.
By the way when doing my repair I found out that Hotpoint is a brand of
Indesit these days. I used to own Indesit washers, never again!

Thanks,
Stephen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote:

Last year I bought a Hotpoint fan oven. A year later the fan
in the oven does not turn and just hums.

Your fan has forgotten the words. Reprogramme your fan with the appropriate
lyrics :-)

Seriously though, I had exactly the same problem a few months ago with my
naff Neff oven after about 11 months of use.

In my case, the fan bearings (oilite phosphor bronze bushes) had dried out,
as they tend to do in hot environments. The armature shaft then binds in
the bearing and the drag prevents the (low torque) fan from starting. Often
the fan will still run if it is initially manually spun with the power on,
which proves the point. The armature shaft usually overheats and burns the
remaining oil residue, resulting in a black deposit on the shaft, which
further adds to the friction.

Rather than mess about with Neff warranties, I removed the fan, stripped the
motor down and cleaned the armature shaft. I then reinpregnated the
phosphor bronze bushes with oil and reassembled. Often the phosphor bronze
bushes are inside an aluminium casing and surrounded by a felt oil
reservoir. This felt reservoir should be saturated with oil. Usually there
is a hole in the aluminium casing to administer the oil through. My oven
fan is running fine now, but I expect I'll have to do it again in a
year-or-so's time.

I also have the same problem with the fan in my bathroom heater. It's an
annual event to strip the whole heater down, remove all the long hair
wrapped around the motor shaft, vacuum out all the baked-on talcum powder
and relubricate the partially seized phosphor bronze armature bearings. Two
out of three problems could be resolved by banning females from using the
heater!

Before undertaking the remedial work yourself, I would (as Andrew Gabriel
suggested) demand that Hotpoint and/or the retailer honour the warranty and
repair the fault under guarantee. Most likely their engineer will only fit
a new fan, rather than fix the old one.

Your neon problem is probably a broken lens unit. These neon lens
assemblies are generally cheap and nasty - the body of the neon lamp clips
into the back of the lens. Two sprung 'legs' hold the neon on place, and in
turn the neon holds the lens in place. A leg has probably snapped off. Ask
your friendly Hotpoint engineer to bring a new lens with him when he calls
to fix your fan.

Good luck, and stand your ground on the warranty issue!

--
Interloper

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 7, 2:51*pm, Stephen wrote:
[...]

Sounds like the fan motor needs lubrication. (High temp lubricant).
But go back to where you bought it first before fiddling with it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 7, 5:00*pm, "Olav M" wrote:
[...]

Small induction motors are usually "shaded pole" devices and have a
single thick turn of wire in the stator to start them. There are no
external devices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaded_pole_motor
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 7 October 2012 14:51:05 UTC+1, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

Last year I bought a Hotpoint fan oven. A year later the fan in the

oven does not turn and just hums. Hotpoint want �70 for someone to

come and look at it.

What is causing this and what is the solution? Should I just replace

the fan or can the one I have be repaired?

Thanks,

Stephen.

If you do decide to replace the unit, double check the manufacturer part number against the part you buy. I have an Indesit oven (probably identical to Hotpoint) and ordered a fan suitable for the model number. Many sites were showing the same fan. When it arrived, I fitted it (a relatively simple job) but the fan shaft was too long for the oven. After much checking, I found the original part number and it was three - four times the price of even supposedly original parts with the too long number. The motor looked identical and all fitting holes were the same. It was only the shaft length. So I sent the new one back and hit the oven if the fan doesn't start.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JohnW" wrote:

If you do decide to replace the unit, double check the
manufacturer part number against the part you buy. I
have an Indesit oven (probably identical to Hotpoint)
and ordered a fan suitable for the model number. Many
sites were showing the same fan. When it arrived, I
fitted it (a relatively simple job) but the fan shaft was too
long for the oven.

Surely a hacksaw would have been your friend?
--
Interloper

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, October 7, 2012 2:51:05 PM UTC+1, Stephen wrote:
[...]

The trick is to quote the Act in question. Your contract is with the retailer. Hopefully that'll get it sorted FOC.

If not, if hotpoint was 70 notes for a fan... buy one elsewhere. Its a freeish market.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Interloper wrote:
"JohnW" wrote:

If you do decide to replace the unit, double check the
manufacturer part number against the part you buy. I
have an Indesit oven (probably identical to Hotpoint)
and ordered a fan suitable for the model number. Many
sites were showing the same fan. When it arrived, I
fitted it (a relatively simple job) but the fan shaft was too
long for the oven.

Surely a hacksaw would have been your friend?

You mean ngle grinder

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2012 14:50, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

Last year I bought a Hotpoint fan oven. A year later the fan in the
oven does not turn and just hums. Hotpoint want £70 for someone to
come and look at it. I think I reported it to them just before the
year's warranty ran out, so I am a bit disappointed that they have not
been more helpful.

I suspect this is a frequent fault with fan ovens as they age - after a
time the bearings dry out from the heat in the oven and then the shaft
sticks. We have an old one where that happens every year or two, and I
squirt some oil around the bearings, which fixes it till next time.

But that shouldn't happen so soon after purchase - I think you should
try to get the retailer to fix it.

--
Clive Page
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 14:50:56 +0100, Stephen wrote:

Last year I bought a Hotpoint fan oven. A year later the fan in the
oven does not turn and just hums.

I can possibly put you in touch with someone with a Hotpoint 'frost free' fridge
freezer as you'll find it will probably cook food much better than your Hotpoint
oven.

There may be a possibility that the fridge freezer has to be retrieved from the
anus of the MD of Hotpoint UK as last I heard they were threatening to ram it up
there...sideways.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 16:59:49 +0100, "Olav M"
wrote:

Do I understand correctly? You spin the fan and turn power on when fan is
still moving...

Not quite. I spin the fan manually (with a pencil between the slots)
but it has stopped spinning before I apply the power. However the act
of manually spinning seems to "unseize" the fan so that it will spin
when the power is applied.

You are correct to expect it should last longer. I fear though, to go down
the not fit for purpose route, as suggested by another poster, may meet a "
you prove it, with technical inspection reports" response.

This has been suggested in a few replies. They are right and I will
try the retailer, my mistake was to go straight to Hotpoint.

By the way when doing my repair I found out that Hotpoint is a brand of
Indesit these days. I used to own Indesit washers, never again!

Yes, they seem to have a bad reputation these days and sadly, my
recent experience seems to confirm it.

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 17:12:37 +0100, "Interloper"
wrote:

Seriously though, I had exactly the same problem a few months ago with my
naff Neff oven after about 11 months of use.

In my case, the fan bearings (oilite phosphor bronze bushes) had dried out,
as they tend to do in hot environments. The armature shaft then binds in
the bearing and the drag prevents the (low torque) fan from starting. Often
the fan will still run if it is initially manually spun with the power on,
which proves the point. The armature shaft usually overheats and burns the
remaining oil residue, resulting in

Thanks. I will go to the retailer for help but for future reference,
what oil do you use? Does it have to be something special to withstand
the heat and not smoke or will 3 in 1 do?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 09:56:01 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

(High temp lubricant).

Thanks. Can you recommend a brand?

Gas oven failure Styx UK diy 6 February 12th 08 11:44 AM
Bizzare double failure in oven Ron Lowe UK diy 8 March 25th 07 10:52 PM
GE oven failure RonD Electronics Repair 5 November 30th 06 06:52 PM
Oven failure marcb UK diy 6 May 20th 05 04:26 PM
Multiple fan oven (Neff) element failure! D.White UK diy 3 December 8th 04 11:52 AM