Posted to uk.d-i-y
JohnW JohnW is offline

Default fan oven fan failure

On Sunday, 7 October 2012 14:51:05 UTC+1, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

Last year I bought a Hotpoint fan oven. A year later the fan in the

oven does not turn and just hums. Hotpoint want �70 for someone to

come and look at it.

What is causing this and what is the solution? Should I just replace

the fan or can the one I have be repaired?

Thanks,

Stephen.

If you do decide to replace the unit, double check the manufacturer part number against the part you buy. I have an Indesit oven (probably identical to Hotpoint) and ordered a fan suitable for the model number. Many sites were showing the same fan. When it arrived, I fitted it (a relatively simple job) but the fan shaft was too long for the oven. After much checking, I found the original part number and it was three - four times the price of even supposedly original parts with the too long number. The motor looked identical and all fitting holes were the same. It was only the shaft length. So I sent the new one back and hit the oven if the fan doesn't start.

John