Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas oven failure

We've got a "Moffat by Parkinson Cowan 500TC" free-standing gas cooker.
To be fair, it's getting on a bit but has generally proved to be very
reliable and capable (for our needs).

Since about last summer, when the power has been out to the cooker
(usually because I've turned the mains off to do something elsewhere in
the house) the digital display (clock/timer) has sometimes failed to
come back on when the power is restored. Power cycling a few times can
sometimes bring it back to life, and on occasion it has just come back
by itself after the power has been left on for a few hours. Sometimes it
sounds like a relay or something is faintly humming when it's struggling
to revive itself.

On Thursday night, I had the mains off to replace a light fitting. After
switching back on, the cooker clock/timer didn't want to know at all,
and it's still not come back to life by today. I suspect it's finally
given up the ghost.

Frankly, I don't really care whether the clock/timer works or not, but
the side effect appears to be that the actual oven will not light at
all; I'm guessing that the electronics control some kind of fail-safe
gas cut-out to the oven, perhaps?

All of the gas rings and the grill work fine (including the ignition
spark), it's just there's no gas/spark in the oven whatsoever.

Anyone have any suggestions for a fix?

Thanks,

Styx

Bizzare double failure in oven Ron Lowe UK diy 8 March 25th 07 10:52 PM
GE oven failure RonD Electronics Repair 5 November 30th 06 06:52 PM
Oven failure marcb UK diy 6 May 20th 05 04:26 PM
Multiple fan oven (Neff) element failure! N. Thornton UK diy 0 December 8th 04 10:02 PM
Multiple fan oven (Neff) element failure! D.White UK diy 3 December 8th 04 11:52 AM