Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default fan oven fan failure

On Oct 7, 5:00*pm, "Olav M" wrote:
I have an older Hotpoint fan oven. I haven't come across this fault but my
cooker element failed like a firework when cooking, after 10 years. I did
the repair so I'll try to make suggestions....

--
OlavM
Overlooking the Clyde where it meets the Sea"Stephen" wrote in message

Hello,

Last year I bought a Hotpoint fan oven. A year later the fan in the
oven does not turn and just hums. Hotpoint want £70 for someone to
come and look at it. I think I reported it to them just before the
year's warranty ran out, so I am a bit disappointed that they have not
been more helpful.

It is a shame that the fan has failed after just twelve months. The
oven that it replaced must have been over ten years old and the fan
was still going strong.

If I spin the fan, by spinning the blades with something when the
power is off, when I turn the oven on again, the fan will spin.

What is causing this and what is the solution? Should I just replace
the fan or can the one I have be repaired?

Do I understand correctly? You spin the fan and turn power on when fan is
still moving...if so my guess is that the motor is a single phase split pole
motor. And a component (capacitor) within motor has failed. No repair is
possible, install new motor. Others with more electonic knowledge may add
further advice...

Small induction motors are usually "shaded pole" devices and have a
single thick turn of wire in the stator to start them. There are no
external devices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaded_pole_motor